Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

So the fireworks show last night was fantastic and it seemed like uptown was packed out. There seemed to be some major issues (twitter was blowing up) that it took WAYYYYYYYYYY too long to start. Apparently the intro (pimping the sponsors) took an ungodly amount of time and there were issues of firework remnants hittin people (kind of inevitable in that close of quarters isnt it?). I watched from a distance but had a great view, so with a few tweaks next year should be even better. Way better than they were last year.

So the fireworks show last night was fantastic and it seemed like uptown was packed out. There seemed to be some major issues (twitter was blowing up) that it took WAYYYYYYYYYY too long to start. Apparently the intro (pimping the sponsors) took an ungodly amount of time and there were issues of firework remnants hittin people (kind of inevitable in that close of quarters isnt it?). I watched from a distance but had a great view, so with a few tweaks next year should be even better. Way better than they were last year.

Agreed. I left Romare Park at 10:35 because I had reserved a movie at Studio Movie Grille for 10:45. My entire walk over there I didn't see or hear fireworks so I'm assuming the fireworks lasted until 11.

I left right after the Keith Urban music video. Even though I didn't see fireworks, it was fun with some friends in the park :)

Agreed. I left Romare Park at 10:35 because I had reserved a movie at Studio Movie Grille for 10:45. My entire walk over there I didn't see or hear fireworks so I'm assuming the fireworks lasted until 11.

I left right after the Keith Urban music video. Even though I didn't see fireworks, it was fun with some friends in the park :)

Fireworks were from 10:50 to about 11:20

I was majorly disappointed, because I walked to a spot on Morehead to watch them and there was no indication anywhere of when they would begin.  Friend had to follow Charlotte Knights on twitter for the play-by-play, and then it was radio (twitter silence) 45 mins or more before they started.  I gave up and walked home around 10:45 only to hear them once I got to my house.  Nothing on Charlotte Observer.

I feel like it was solely for people attending Knights games, and everyone else was left to guess.  For those who have kids, 10:50 is way too late, unless the expectation around the timing was more definitive.  Immediately following a 7pm game is kind of ambiguous and definitely doesn't imply basically 4 hrs later.

/rant

• Like 1

I was majorly disappointed, because I walked to a spot on Morehead to watch them and there was no indication anywhere of when they would begin.  Friend had to follow Charlotte Knights on twitter for the play-by-play, and then it was radio (twitter silence) 45 mins or more before they started.  I gave up and walked home around 10:45 only to hear them once I got to my house.  Nothing on Charlotte Observer.

I feel like it was solely for people attending Knights games, and everyone else was left to guess.  For those who have kids, 10:50 is way too late, unless the expectation around the timing was more definitive.  Immediately following a 7pm game is kind of ambiguous and definitely doesn't imply basically 4 hrs later.

/rant

Well it was mentioned that they would start immediately after the ball game, so it was a matter of timing on that. The major issue seemed to be after the game how long it took for them to start due to stupid awards and sponsor plugs. That definitely needs to be worked out, but the show was fantastic, there doesn't seem to be disagreement on that.

Overall the timing was frustrating but it is definitely an improvement over the old show, and the old location, once the kinks are worked out next year, it is certainly a win. 

Also frustrating, NO acknowledgement WHAT SO EVER from CO and the Knights that they heard and understood the complaints and will look to improve in the future. That is annoying.

Edited by Jayvee

A story on News 14 said that they would be looking for improvements for future skyshows.

It appeared that they spend a lot of time clearing out the outfield seating and 3rd St behind the stadium (the launch area for the fireworks was on the grass berm between the two) before they started all the pre show ceremonies, if they had the ceremony while the outfield area was being cleared it seems that it would have only taken half the time to begin the fireworks show.

/rant

This was my problem with why I chose not to go Uptown for the Fireworks this year. Telling people the fireworks are "after the game" is too ambiguous, and I am not going to wait but only for so long.

So two of us left before the fireworks on this board. I waited around 2 hours. I had to leave because like I said my 10:45 movie at Studio Movie Grille.

I though 10pm was a reasonable time fireworks would start. I seen no mention anywhere at all on multiple news websites, the Skyshow website, etc. and there was zero mention of a time. Just "after the 7pm game" which to me I guessed 8:45 was a reasonable time to expect fireworks, maybe at 9:30 they shot. Not 10:50. Or else I probably would've not booked a movie at Epicentre, watched fireworks and then go to a club

Makes me wonder about the general consensus

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I don't think I have ever been to an under 2 hour baseball game in my life to be honest.

I do think that there was a communication problem about when to expect fireworks which is being acknowledged for future years, but I don't get a lot of the griping about expecting fireworks before 10 pm or be done by a little after for a 7 pm game.

• Like 1

I haven't been to a baseball game in 15 years. There was no mention of how long it would be. I thought 9:45 or 10pm or 10:15 was a reasonable time to expect a game. At least some mention of how long to expect.

I am not at all into any minor league sports period, especially minor league baseball. So a brief mention on How long to expect the game to last would've been super helpful. Something like "Game could Last over 3 hours"

I had no idea games lasted so long.

• 2 weeks later...

For lack of a better thread, had an interesting CDOT conversation recently -

If/when the streetcar construction extends down Trade through Uptown, Tryon will no longer be available as a parade route. Buses can be diverted, but they can't shut down rail service for 2+ hours for events. That basically eliminates any north-south street in Uptown for parades, as well as MLK, 5th, 6th and 7th streets (which have at-grade blue line crossings). At the end of the day, 3rd street is really the only viable road of any length (through the middle of Uptown) that won't intersect with rail tracks, so all of the city parades in the future may well be on that route. 

Could they just run the trolleys to the nearest stop to Tryon on either side, and then have the trolleys go back down that side of the line? Basically turning the line into two lines and if people are wanting to cross Tryon they get off, walk across, and catch it on the other side? Inconvenient but if it's just for two hours it's not too bad.

For lack of a better thread, had an interesting CDOT conversation recently -

If/when the streetcar construction extends down Trade through Uptown, Tryon will no longer be available as a parade route. Buses can be diverted, but they can't shut down rail service for 2+ hours for events. That basically eliminates any north-south street in Uptown for parades, as well as MLK, 5th, 6th and 7th streets (which have at-grade blue line crossings). At the end of the day, 3rd street is really the only viable road of any length (through the middle of Uptown) that won't intersect with rail tracks, so all of the city parades in the future may well be on that route. 

So what you're saying is, whenever the Panthers or Hornets plan for their championship parades, they'll be limited to really just using 3rd Street???

• Like 4

they can't shut down rail service for 2+ hours for events.

I think you mean that they 'won't' shut down rail service for 2 hours. Its done in plenty of places, the St Charles street car line gets shut down from most of the day, for multiple days, during Mardis Gras.

They were surveying the "hotel site" next to the Carillon building today......what is the status on the site, anyone know?

Are we referring to the site where there is currently a nice park?  Or the site where there is currently a surface parking lot?

post-26833-0-94222600-1405517390_thumb.p

So there is a lot of information on the web about the North Tryon Civic District.

The knight foundation has an entire section on their website "North Tryon Vision and Master planning process" where they have updates and even a YouTube video (Next Big Thing: North Tryon Area). It's not very informative but still. http://www.knightfoundation.org/grants/201448039/

Also I'm on my iPhone and this PDF won't load

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land%20Use%20Planning/NorthTryonAreaPlan/NorthTryonPlan(Adopted).pdf

I'm not sure if that North Tryon is North Tryon outside of 277 or the Covic district. I'll have to check it out later.

The original plan back when they built Carillon was for a Swissotel to be built over their loading dock entrance (off Church) and extending toward Trade to roughly where the treees are, but leaving the "park" at the corner.

The large surface lot at Church/4th has been owned by First Citizens bank for many many years.