Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/08/08/snyder-s-lance-eyes-ballantyne-move.html

I know its past the point of it mattering, but this certainly would have been a good tenant for a project like Portman, another loss for uptown.

I certainly can't speak for all Millennials, but I feel like I speak for the majority when I say this; if companies like Lance or Met Life, ect. hope to attract the best young employees they can, there is not a lot of appeal to working in a suburban business park.  I work in one now and would take a pay cut to be able to work uptown and actually feel like I work somewhere.  Especially since I already live in the city to begin with.  I don't know many 23 year olds that want to spend their time marooned out in Ballantyne, having to drive to everything.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/08/08/snyder-s-lance-eyes-ballantyne-move.html

I know its past the point of it mattering, but this certainly would have been a good tenant for a project like Portman, another loss for uptown.

Not really a loss for uptown when they were never there to begin with :) Though, I get your point. Would have been a good fit for Portman. As "ah59396" indicated they would attract more millennials if they did have their office uptown. I'm not one and it would certainly be a draw for me. I worked in the office park environment back before I did the consulting life, and HATED it. Had to drive to lunch, to the gym, etc. If you got stuck in traffic, it ruined the whole thing...

Edited by wend28

I certainly can't speak for all Millennials, but I feel like I speak for the majority when I say this; if companies like Lance or Met Life, ect. hope to attract the best young employees they can, there is not a lot of appeal to working in a suburban business park.  I work in one now and would take a pay cut to be able to work uptown and actually feel like I work somewhere.  Especially since I already live in the city to begin with.  I don't know many 23 year olds that want to spend their time marooned out in Ballantyne, having to drive to everything.

Just a thought.

Agreed 100% I have a friend my age (25) that wants to move down here and has gotten a few opportunities but theyre in Ballantyne and it has been a major turn off. My friend that works down there now (lives uptown), hates it. There is even a bit of a difference betweeen working in Gateway vs heart of uptown. I used to work in Gateway and I just feel so much more connected now working in Plaza, really makes a ton of difference.

Plus uptown jobs promotes....uptown living :)

Not really a loss for uptown when they were never there to begin with :) Though, I get your point. Would have been a good fit for Portman. As "ah59396" indicated they would attract more millennials if they did have their office uptown. I'm not one and it would certainly be a draw for me. I worked in the office park environment back before I did the consulting life, and HATED it. Had to drive to lunch, to the gym, etc. If you got stuck in traffic, it ruined the whole thing...

I guess missed opportunity is better to say than loss

Edited by Jayvee

I'm near Westinghouse/Tryon and our company is going to resign another 5-6 years down here.  I'm less than thrilled, especially since our company hosts many work events/after work in Uptown.  I thought for sure our management had "Uptown" tastes but no such luck. Reverse commuting from Dilworth right down Tryon isn't bad, much better than when I worked in Huntersville.  But I'd prefer having the option to walk/bike to the office.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

ugh.... back in college two of my friends and I all landed internships in three different firms. One in South End, myself Uptown, and one in the Tyvola Office hell..... I felt so bad for her that whole summer.... we were all commuting from University City which wasn't great for anyone involved but at least when we got to work we had options, or could just take a stroll for a break if needed ect...

I'm near Westinghouse/Tryon and our company is going to resign another 5-6 years down here.  I'm less than thrilled, especially since our company hosts many work events/after work in Uptown.  I thought for sure our management had "Uptown" tastes but no such luck. Reverse commuting from Dilworth right down Tryon isn't bad, much better than when I worked in Huntersville.  But I'd prefer having the option to walk/bike to the office.

You'd think they would only do it for another 3 years and then move into 300 S Tryon! :) I guess businesses do whatever they can to keep costs down.

And yeah this is something overall that no one really mention but it is an excellent point. As a city we seem so focused on millenials/young professionals (great for me!) yet all these companies don't particularly see the side of "hey if we are uptown, it is certainly a big factor for a younger person we really want to recruit". I guess the flip side of that coin is companies just figure, "hey so-and-so needs a job and will take it wherever we are" or "they don't particularly know the location while interviewing"

Edited by Jayvee

Woah, wait what's the deal with this??? That is right next to Draught isn't it?

Yes, existing building there. I think its already called The Foundry but its painted grey at the moment. Its been seeing renovation for some time, and my office almost decided to relocate there. Not sure if the plan has changed to mixed use but it has some pretty great studio type spaces and is big

Yeah that building looks great now! That area is mostly a dump, so some revitalization will be great, and should help business at Draught.

I never thought of it as a dump, the area has been full of offices and studios for the last 5 years except for those difficult spaces fronting Morehead. Lots of potential, though that proposed MLK extension would really help it along. 

I wonder what is the likelihood of seeing infill and reuse behind some of these buildings closer to Morehead, between Cedar and the tracks/stadium is. There's quite a bit of unused space back there right in the shadow of the stadium, but only accessible by tiny side roads. 

Heard a big rumor today.  First Methodist Church is looking at the possibility of selling its education wing (four story building on Church St behind FMC) to a developer for a high-rise apartment or condo building.  The structure is in poor condition and the church is in need of money.  My source told me that the church would get some of the space on the lower two floors of the new tower to replace what will be demolished.