Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

N Tryon!! LET'S GO, that would be awesome (buttttt a bit of overbuilding of condos/apts no???)

No over building on Highrises. Element just delivered. Skyhouse is U/C. Unless its under construction, it doesn't count. It's always the one you expect the most (210 Trade VS. Vue, 300 South Tryon vs. Crescent, etc) that never get built (or get built next) to the ones you done expect as much.

I don't know where in the world I'd post this but could someone Drive around one day and take a picture of the progress of various projects?

I'm anxious to see the progress on 

• Publix

• Lennar Apartments 

• Quarters at Morehead

• 1100 South Blvd

• Mint

But I'd love to see progress on everything. 

If nothing else, i will probably be in town in a month or so.

I don't know where in the world I'd post this but could someone Drive around one day and take a picture of the progress of various projects?

I'm anxious to see the progress on 

• Publix

• Lennar Apartments 

• Quarters at Morehead

• 1100 South Blvd

• Mint

But I'd love to see progress on everything. 

If nothing else, i will probably be in town in a month or so.

No photos but as far as updates:

Publix has slowed considerably in the last month

Lennar is vertical. Steel framing is up and elevator/stair shafts are almost finished. Wood framing is imminent. 

Quarterrs is a big hole and the podium columns are being poured

1100 South is framing as well as pouring the podium. This one already has really good mass on South. I think this project will have a big impact on giving South End a more dense feel

Haven't seen mint in a few weeks

Camden Gallery is finally framing too. I put this one up there with 1100 South as far as impact on South End, especially b/c of the retail. Even though they're only on the second story, it's clearly visible coming down East Blvd towards South. 

There's also another very big project announcement that will happen in the coming months that will be substantially more significant to the density of South End. That's all I can say at this point. 

• Like 1

No over building on Highrises. Element just delivered. Skyhouse is U/C. Unless its under construction, it doesn't count. It's always the one you expect the most (210 Trade VS. Vue, 300 South Tryon vs. Crescent, etc) that never get built (or get built next) to the ones you done expect as much.

I didnt mean over building of buildings themselves....I meant, aren't they going to oversaturate with all these apts....

There's also another very big project announcement that will happen in the coming months that will be substantially more significant to the density of South End. That's all I can say at this point. 

I remember hearing 1616 Camden pulled permits to start construction soon, I think that will make a very huge impact on SouthEnd since it will be commercial floor heights. 

If i had to guess what the big announcement would be, I would guess it'd be Design Center Related. Am I way off?

Could be the food truck lot too… hmmm

Edited by Guest

If you are referring to the wing on the corner of 8th and Church st, count me as someone who is unhappy with this rumor.

I mean it's old, and its stone, but it's un-urban, with a fire escape and an emergency exit face Church St.  I wouldn't be that sad to see a new building that addresses Church.

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/08/north-tryon-focus-of-400k-charlotte-study.html

I hope they don't screw this up, but I really hope big big big things are coming for N Tryon.

Also love this, any type of trashing (however brutal or lite) of Levine in the media is wonderful to see:

"Among the challenges: spurring Levine Properties, owners of 23 acres in First Ward, to get going on a public-private collaboration that, in technical terms, seems to be eternally delayed. Deadlines come and go, plans are revised, clauses are tweaked and, inevitably, something else must be determined before construction can start. Maybe, finally, this will be the time principal Daniel Levine moves ahead, but, based on the past 20 years of stops and stops (yes, you read that correctly), don’t bet on it."

In other uptown news, does anyone know of the status of Chupitos (bar by the ball park at Graham and MLK)? They started a social media presence in May and it has been dead silent ever since and the building still looks like crap. Did they lose funding?

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/08/north-tryon-focus-of-400k-charlotte-study.html

I hope they don't screw this up, but I really hope big big big things are coming for N Tryon.

One more $700,000 study? I would like to see less studies and more action. Will these studies translate into something feasible? Or will it become just a set of recommendations that will be later screwed up?

• Like 1

One more $700,000 study? I would like to see less studies and more action. Will these studies translate into something feasible? Or will it become just a set of recommendations that will be later screwed up?

With Bank of America on board, I'm optimistic. BoA seems to get things rolling generally in uptown

Also agreed that having BofA behind this will help tremendously... It's good to see they still know where their roots are. And like atlrvr said, we should see some high quality renderings given the firms work. 

Hopefully Wells sees some kind of need to compete and donates $10 mil to completely one up B of A ;)

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Hopefully Wells sees some kind of need to compete and donates $10 mil to completely one up B of A ;)

I think BoA owns land in the North Tryon area. Having land and wanting to do something and being a bank can go a long way. I think David Furman is interested in the project also. Other people know those details better than I

Interesting submittal today for the Church parking lot on Tryon next to the Gantt Center -

PNC PopUp Branch Bank
: Mobile, studio-sized bank branch constructed within a metal pre-fab structure similar to a shipping container. At less than 200 square feet, it will sit on leased street-facing space in existing parking lot at 509 S. Tryon and requires only electrical utility service to operate.

This could actually be really cool if done right

Interesting submittal today for the Church parking lot on Tryon next to the Gantt Center -

PNC PopUp Branch Bank

: Mobile, studio-sized bank branch constructed within a metal pre-fab structure similar to a shipping container. At less than 200 square feet, it will sit on leased street-facing space in existing parking lot at 509 S. Tryon and requires only electrical utility service to operate.

This could actually be really cool if done right

Woah that is weird, but awesome and an interesting concept.

Apparently we don't have a dedicated Fourth Ward Thread. 

Apparently 225 N. Cedar Apartments are trying to move forward… Expect its being drastically scaled down… and will include surface parking out back, yuck.

Apparently we don't have a dedicated Fourth Ward Thread. 

Apparently 225 N. Cedar Apartments are trying to move forward… Expect its being drastically scaled down… and will include surface parking out back, yuck.

yuck on the parking, yay on the apartments. that area back there is....sketchy. We call those back buildings of Post, Post Ghetto for a reason. Is that housing back there low income?