Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Interesting submittal today for the Church parking lot on Tryon next to the Gantt Center -

PNC PopUp Branch Bank

: Mobile, studio-sized bank branch constructed within a metal pre-fab structure similar to a shipping container. At less than 200 square feet, it will sit on leased street-facing space in existing parking lot at 509 S. Tryon and requires only electrical utility service to operate.

This could actually be really cool if done right

Follow-up on the site indicates only 60-90 day temp stucture for promotion.

Oddly, PNC doesn't have an Uptown branch.  File this under baseless rumor/wild speculation, but maybe part of the promotion is the announcement that  they are going to relocate all Charlotte jobs to an office tower to be built on this site, with a ground floor branch.

• Like 3

Follow-up on the site indicates only 60-90 day temp stucture for promotion.

Oddly, PNC doesn't have an Uptown branch. File this under baseless rumor/wild speculation, but maybe part of the promotion is the announcement that they are going to relocate all Charlotte jobs to an office tower to be built on this site, with a ground floor branch.

I like your crazy, speculative style.

Maybe it is time to create a N Tryon Thread? I am not sure yet, in the mean time, here is a CO article on "ideas for N Tryon"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/23/5124069/ideas-for-neglected-n-tryon.html#.U_npHoCwJyU

Rather tongue in cheek language in the article, but he really doesn't offer much in the way of insightful and game changing ideas.

Raleigh is called the Paris of the Piedmont?

Long term joke in this neck of the woods. The phrase has been attached to Carrboro, Greensboro, Raleigh and probably a few other places (Asheboro?). The only place I have heard its used non-ironically by locals is in Carrboro.

Found this on Wagner Murray's "conceptual" page.  This would be the hidden park/walking track located behind Charlotte Plaza office building and front 3rd St (so across from the Hilton's 3rd St entrance)

My guess is this page on their site is where cool ideas go once they die, but don't really know how real this was.  The owner is Hines, (which was the developer selected to do Gateway Station who backed-out over that project being a black hole).  They are rumored to be putting Charlotte Plaza up for sale later this year.  This site is included with that property, though it could obviously be subdivided and not sold, or sold to a separate developer. 

Just for fun, the project desciprtion says 200 hotel rooms and 100k sq ft of office.

three-cg1.jpgploads/2014/06/three-cg1.jpg

Found this on Wagner Murray's "conceptual" page.  This would be the hidden park/walking track located behind Charlotte Plaza office building and front 3rd St (so across from the Hilton's 3rd St entrance)

My guess is this page on their site is where cool ideas go once they die, but don't really know how real this was.  The owner is Hines, (which was the developer selected to do Gateway Station who backed-out over that project being a black hole).  They are rumored to be putting Charlotte Plaza up for sale later this year.  This site is included with that property, though it could obviously be subdivided and not sold, or sold to a separate developer. 

Just for fun, the project desciprtion says 200 hotel rooms and 100k sq ft of office.

three-cg1.jpgploads/2014/06/three-cg1.jpg

I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed to get that.

So hey, folks. As the senior pastor of FIrst United Methodist Church, I have to say that I am intrigued at the idea you guys were kicking around. The problem is that it's merely a rumor. Our church does some pretty cool ministry in town and we have pretty neat ideas about how we'd like to fit in with the redevelopment of North Tryon. However, as of now, we do not have any plans to sell any part of our property (except maybe a Fender Stratocaster I'd like to swap out), nor do we have any plans to demolish or reconfigure any part of our structure. Just to quell the rumor, I thought I should check in to clarify. Feel free to ask me any questions that you want, since we are very proud of our historic presence Uptown and our role in our neighborhood.  Thanks!  

Jonathan Coppedge-Henley, senior pastor, FIrst UMC of Charlotte

Thanks for responding. Honestly I think we all agree that First United is a beautiful, irreplaceable building that should stand as is for generations to come. Thanks so much for your contribution!

Edited by Guest

There's a plan submittal for a Marriott Springhill Suites and it's a UMUD submittal, although the link is broken, so there's no detail on location. If I had to guess, I'd say this is probably the SREE hotel site on 5th. Anyone have any more intel?

Edit - SREE thread already pointed out that this site is indeed the Springhill Suites site. 

Edited by Prodev

Thanks for responding. Honestly I think we all agree that First United is a beautiful, irreplaceable building that should stand as is for generations to come. Thanks so much for your contribution!

Well, we are a part of a wonderful neighborhood and it's exciting how the neighborhood is evolving. I'd love to hear from folks what you think are the strengths and needs of our part of town.

Well, we are a part of a wonderful neighborhood and it's exciting how the neighborhood is evolving. I'd love to hear from folks what you think are the strengths and needs of our part of town.

Ohhhh, I am not so sure you want to open that pandora's box on here :)

Strengths: Tons of room to grow

Weaknesses: perception issues, homeless issues, and mainly Daniel Levine.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

We're living in 400 North Church right now.  Your church is definitely one of the strong points of that neighborhood! While we don't attend church, just seeing a touch of depth of soul in a pretty sterile area is very nice. My two year old keeps wanting to use your playground, but we understand liability issues, etc. :-)

We just wish the city of Charlotte weren't so strict on the food trucks. Some of the trucks have outstanding food, and when you go to a place like Portland, Oregon and see them lined up, along with buyers of their food, then you just cringe thinking it might not happen here with all of our regulations. Apparently, The South End location of Food Truck Friday is going away since there's a developer's sign on the lot now. Would be great for us (not sure for the rest of the city :-) if they could have a Food Truck Alley in one of those empty lots between the future light rail extension and North Tryon.... (Levine area)

We just wish the city of Charlotte weren't so strict on the food trucks. Some of the trucks have outstanding food, and when you go to a place like Portland, Oregon and see them lined up, along with buyers of their food, then you just cringe thinking it might not happen here with all of our regulations. Apparently, The South End location of Food Truck Friday is going away since there's a developer's sign on the lot now. Would be great for us (not sure for the rest of the city :-) if they could have a Food Truck Alley in one of those empty lots between the future light rail extension and North Tryon.... (Levine area)

Given the openness and land availability along N Tryon, I would absolutely LOVE to see some type of Food Truck incorporation to the area, but yes our regulations suck, but its improving

Edited by Jayvee

We're living in 400 North Church right now.  Your church is definitely one of the strong points of that neighborhood! While we don't attend church, just seeing a touch of depth of soul in a pretty sterile area is very nice. My two year old keeps wanting to use your playground, but we understand liability issues, etc. :-)

The guys from the Tin Kitchen are in front of our church on Thursdays...and it completely rocks! I agree, though, that some more could be done there. Maybe we need to throw a party and invite the TK guys to come help us out. Anyways, they hang out at Triple C Brewery and NoDa Brewery, too, at different times during the week. As to kids playing in our playground, when we get ready to have an event where we open it up, I'll let you know (or maybe your two-year old is an excuse to have an event like that).

J

I would actually like to see CLT use the Levine Avenue of the Arts (LAOA) or some other street, maybe in N. Tryon eventually, for small street festivals.  Raleigh closes down Hargett St. and Fayetteville St. for small festivals and concerts all the time.  It creates a cool atmosphere downtown.  Having the Knights stadium has added life to Uptown, but there are plenty of things that can be done to keep people or bring people to Uptown after work.  More needs to be done to make this happen.  Put some food trucks on the LAOA and put a cop on Tryon to control access to the Green, then have some arts and crafts vendors on the Green.  Do it every Second Friday/Wednesday/Saturday (who cares).

Until people stay in Uptown after work, the need for retail will be based solely on population, which we are getting closer to, but we are still a ways off.  One other suggestion, protest to the state ABC Board to eliminate the restrictions on happy hours laws.  Right now there are restrictions on advertising for drink specials, and drink specials have to last all day (as opposed to a time slot).  That's why you see places with happy hour specials on apps not drinks.  If you can keep people in Uptown after work for 2 beers, you will increase the street presence and nightlife, not to mention sales tax revenue.

• Like 2

The City will soon be upgrading the lighting and sidewalks along McDowell, E 4th, and E 3rd under I-277 and 4th St under I-77. Expect something along the lines of what already exists along Stonewall under I-277.

For the McDowell underpass they will also be putting in a retaining wall and Historical Markers for Dilworth and Brooklyn.

Rendering is here: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/citymanager/CommunicationstoCouncil/Memo%20attachments/Underpass%20rendering.pdf

Historical Marker Rendering : http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/citymanager/CommunicationstoCouncil/Memo%20attachments/Underpass%20plaques.pdf

I'm glad they are making improvements to make the pedestrian experience better, especially with the Fountains Apartments coming online in the next year.

However I wish they would do something a little more artsy like the Trade St underpass on I-77.. Commission a different artist for each underpass to really make it more inviting to pedestrians.

• Like 2

The City will soon be upgrading the lighting and sidewalks along McDowell, E 4th, and E 3rd under I-277 and 4th St under I-77. Expect something along the lines of what already exists along Stonewall under I-277.

For the McDowell underpass they will also be putting in a retaining wall and Historical Markers for Dilworth and Brooklyn.

Rendering is here: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/citymanager/CommunicationstoCouncil/Memo%20attachments/Underpass%20rendering.pdf

Historical Marker Rendering : http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/citymanager/CommunicationstoCouncil/Memo%20attachments/Underpass%20plaques.pdf

I'm glad they are making improvements to make the pedestrian experience better, especially with the Fountains Apartments coming online in the next year.

However I wish they would do something a little more artsy like the Trade St underpass on I-77.. Commission a different artist for each underpass to really make it more inviting to pedestrians.

I love these types of actions.  They are cheap, make a visible difference and can be put in place quickly.

• Like 1