Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I'm glad they are making improvements to make the pedestrian experience better, especially with the Fountains Apartments coming online in the next year.

However I wish they would do something a little more artsy like the Trade St underpass on I-77.. Commission a different artist for each underpass to really make it more inviting to pedestrians.

I swear this was a recommendation/strategy in the Center City 2020 plan, but just now I can't find it anywhere in that document. 

I think this is great! As stated, upgraded lighting is a cheap improvement but makes an enormous difference. I wish they would upgrade the lighting all along Trade as some parts are a bit sketchy. The lighting under the train bridge over 5th and Trade could certainly use a touch up. But even still this is a great step!

Different market, yada yada. But I found this article about a dearth of office space in 'attractive urban submarkets' in Durham very interesting.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/03/4119781_real-deals-american-tobacco-has.html?sp=/99/104/&rh=1

The article is specific to the American Tobacco campus but it discusses its near 100% occupancy of office and retail space and the plans to build more.

Remind me again why we have no speculative space under construction in uptown?

So I was reading some news about my home town and stumbled across this:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/09/first_look_at_the_9_project_in.html#incart_river

A BEAUTIFUL renovation of a classic building into a luxury hotel. I just want to point out how rather..... disheartening/interesting it is that Cleveland, once considered a 'dying' city has more luxury hotels in a downtown area than Charlotte does.

Granted Cleveland has plenty of these awesome historical buildings and Charlotte does not, but I have noticed a TON of awesome development downtown Cleveland that our uptown just does not have (aside from apartments). It just seems very odd that in a very large city, a Ritz is the only high end hotel we got. Is Le Meridian on the same level as the Ritz?

I will say the Embassy, AC Hotel & Renaissance will be nice additions

Edited by Jayvee

I don't think there's a Renaissance in the works, although one along the lines of the one at North Hills in Raleigh would be a great addition. There's a Springhill Suites and still the possibility of a Homewood Suites at Trade and Church. 

Oh thats right the other one at 210 Trade is a Residence Inn not a Renaissance. Well that goes with my theory that they are rebranding the current Residence as a normal Marriott and the current Marriott as a JW.

We need a "W" hotel in town

and yes....yes we do

I don't think there's a Renaissance in the works, although one along the lines of the one at North Hills in Raleigh would be a great addition. There's a Springhill Suites and still the possibility of a Homewood Suites at Trade and Church. 

How many Renaissance hotels do we have here now? Two? 

I know it's overstated but would really like that W hotel in uptown. Next to Duke Energy Center where that old condo tower was slated. 

2 questions for the forum:

1. What are they doing to the Levine Museum of the New South? The entire face is covered up with construction

2. What is that building right next to the Skye building that has roman numerals on it. It seems like a cool historic building that something interesting can be done with.

2 questions for the forum:

1. What are they doing to the Levine Museum of the New South? The entire face is covered up with construction

2. What is that building right next to the Skye building that has roman numerals on it. It seems like a cool historic building that something interesting can be done with.

I can't remember what it used to be, but it is mostly law offices now. They have a few open spots in that building that are 2,000-5000ish square feet. They're marketing them to law practices. Rates are pretty cheap there. Space goes for about $15/square foot per year.

Looks like it's official.   Boutique Hotel to take over first two floors of the Ivey's with a new restaurant planned on the ground floor. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/09/real-estate-firm-planning-boutique-hotel-at-iveys.html

That is going to be an excellent addition to uptown, amazing location. Cannot wait for this, but work won't start till early next year? Jeez I feel like this has been in the planning stages for a while, why so long?

Coincidentally it kinda covers my earlier b!tching about Cleveland getting a sweet new boutique hotel in a historic building. Soooo go Charlotte!

Also, having been to Macchialina Taverna Rustica in Miami, I can say I wish it was a different restaurant. The one in Miami is okay, but between Luna, Aria, La Tag, Luce, Vapiano, etc there's enough Italian in uptown. The high-end bakery sounds awesome though.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Really? I understand we all want and love retail, but I would rather have upscale hotel rooms come in now than some random retail that may or may not survive while Charlotte becomes more 'walkable' and retail friendly.

Yes, really. I've been waiting a year for "a couple months" every month with speculation of a furniture store like they have in Asheville or the good possibility an urban outfitters.

Even then, excellent location for retail. I'll except 300 South Tryon and Elemet will be nothing but lobby (I know 300 has a restaraunt, but Its still basically neglects a lot of the street. Here, I'm not impressed with lobby. At all.

• Like 1

Yes, really. I've been waiting a year for "a couple months" every month with speculation of a furniture store like they have in Asheville or the good possibility an urban outfitters.

Even then, excellent location for retail. I'll except 300 South Tryon and Elemet will be nothing but lobby (I know 300 has a restaraunt, but Its still basically neglects a lot of the street. Here, I'm not impressed with lobby. At all.

You forgot a lobby, restaurant AND high-end bakery  :tough:  :whistling:

In other uptown news, does anyone know of the status of Chupitos (bar by the ball park at Graham and MLK)? They started a social media presence in May and it has been dead silent ever since and the building still looks like crap. Did they lose funding?

Construction fencing has gone up at the back and side of Chupitos, and there was a backhoe digging out dirt behind the building today.  Looks like expansion work is underway.

Construction fencing has gone up at the back and side of Chupitos, and there was a backhoe digging out dirt behind the building today.  Looks like expansion work is underway.

Yeah I noticed they were in there this morning gutting the place. FINALLY, it was supposed to be open in time for the full Panthers season. They must have lost funding or had to have gone back to the drawing board with something. Either way, I think this place will be a terrific addition to 3rd ward, especially if they're doing some work out back to make an epic patio or something. Uptown needs more great patios.

• Like 1

So to rehash this conversation: homeless people in uptown.

For stats to say the population is lower than ever, I am 100% calling BS on that. In the 3 years I have lived here i have NEVER noticed as many homeless people as I do now DAILY in uptown. It's to the point where it is a topic of conversation, which has never been the case before. I understand cities like Austin have it way worse than us, and we don't want to be a sterile city, and we all want to be a grown up city and with that comes homeless people. But there's a tipping point. Benches in uptown are absolutely loaded with homeless people, so my questions are:

Why the sudden influx? Why over this year has there been such an increase of visibility? and most importantly, what can be done and what is being done?

I understand we all want to be heroes and care for them and have sympathy, and yadda yadda. But I take pride in the fact our downtown is very clean, very safe, and incredibly walkable. Since the influx in homeless I have noticed uptown be: dirtier, my head is on a swivel walking at night and its bothersome.