Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Yes...the Hall House will once again become elderly public housing while 3 other senior high rises are renovated. Hall House will be part of the temp housing solution. They will once again look for a way to sell it after that 3 year period, hopefully into a better market. Renovations should be done by september.

Well, repainting and adding the piano style markings (sometimes called "international" or "zebra").

I agree that the traffic signals are a little excessive, but to do it right it will take more than just Tryon St. They will have to reconfigure all of Uptown. I've heard that might happen in the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...

The 90-day trial of converting S Tryon to 3 lanes between Stonewall and Morehead is over. NCDOT has given the go ahead for CDOT to make the change permanent. There is a $400K contract with HNTB (pending Council approval) to design the engineering drawings for widening the sidewalks and putting in bike lanes along this section of S Tryon. I'm looking forward to this becoming a reality.

Rock on! The 90-days ended a good while back, and I was hoping to hear good news on the trial. Anecdotally, I've noticed a lot more bike traffic on that stretch with people coming/going from South End. I'm thrilled that the bridge will finally get a decent makeover!

I noticed yesterday how they have changed South Mint St already. I actually like it better. Before the change, the lanes were too small for two cars in each direction, and the bicycle riders have good room now. I sometimes use Mint to West Blvd as an alternative to Tryon or South Blvd

Edited by PeytonC

a Newk's is opening in the former Grand Central space on Tryon across from the BOA Corporate Center. i've never been to one but this looks like it could be a good fit there.

http://www.newkscafe.com

Newk's is a really nice, upscale pizza/deli joint. All food there is very good and reasonable. You order at the cash register, sit down, and your order is delivered in case you are interested. The fixins for the pizza are on a table similar to a salad bar and the atmosphere is so much better than your normal pizza joint. I thought there was one already in the Charlotte area. It will do killer business. IMO we need more places like this downtown. There aren't enough affordable places to just walk in, order and sit for a while enjoying good fast food.

not sure if there is a better thread for this

a new club, The 5th Element, is opening in the Cans space at Graham and 5th. there is a temporary banner up and a craigslist ad for employees has been posted. it actually claims to be a "bar/restaurant", but everything about it screams "club". not much information to be found online yet.

Crave has been doing a good job of keeping some life in that area by itself these last few months.

• 1 month later...

A couple of Notes:

- Dunkin Donuts at Graham and 6th is reopening in November

- The space at 312 Graham Street (btwn 6th and 7th) is slated to open in December as a bakery/breakfast place

- The corner Pub at Graham and 7th is set to open the expansion (doubles the space.

- The now defunct Fiji's on 5th off of Tryon is going to reopen as a 24/7 diner.

• 4 weeks later...

The Newk's location is shaping up nicely. They appear to be adding a door on Tryon St (though that could just be for construction). They have added an "awning" on the front, which surprisingly improves the front façade of their portion of the Independence building. They also added fake brick columns on either side of the 'old' door. While I am almost always against fake things, the front of the Independence building is so shitty that I think it actually helps the look of Tryon St by adding more visual 'clutter.'

In other news, the 210 Trade sidewalk has been fixed with brick pavers like the rest of Trade St.

The Newk's location is shaping up nicely. They appear to be adding a door on Tryon St (though that could just be for construction). They have added an "awning" on the front, which surprisingly improves the front façade of their portion of the Independence building. They also added fake brick columns on either side of the 'old' door. While I am almost always against fake things, the front of the Independence building is so crapty that I think it actually helps the look of Tryon St by adding more visual 'clutter.'

In other news, the 210 Trade sidewalk has been fixed with brick pavers like the rest of Trade St.

excuse me for my location caused ignorance but WTF is the Newk?

The Newk's location is shaping up nicely. They appear to be adding a door on Tryon St (though that could just be for construction). They have added an "awning" on the front, which surprisingly improves the front façade of their portion of the Independence building. They also added fake brick columns on either side of the 'old' door. While I am almost always against fake things, the front of the Independence building is so crapty that I think it actually helps the look of Tryon St by adding more visual 'clutter.'

That's definitely the entrance, not just a construction door. The old tenant (Grand Central) had their entrance there. I agree the awning and other elements taking away from the glass overload do wonders for the pedestrian environment there.

A public meeting will be held tomorrow night at 6 in the old Reid's space to discuss the potential City Market. The meeting starts at 6 and will feature a workshop with David O'Neill from Projects for Public Spaces explaining the difference between a 'public' and 'farmers' market.

http://www.charlottecitymarket.com

RSVP for the public meeting: [email protected]

Carolina Ale House is opening thier first Charlotte location which will be in Uptown. They are based in the Triangle area, and looking at their website, looks like a generic sports bar type of place. BUT, the good news is that it will really urbanize a dead spot.

They are locating in the ground floor of Charlotte Plaza, and are taking the whole side along 4th St (across from Epicentre). They are adding awnings and anouther entrance to the building along College, and I believe will have outdoor seating along 4th which right now is a really wide sidewalk. The space is huge, with a 2nd floor seating area.

I suppose the Danny Fontana, and his related Triune Capital investment firm which is currently in the ground floor space are relocating to their larger SouthPark area offices. It's a shame that the mini Fontana radio booth will be gone, becuase it was a cool feature, but this will certainly help much more to enliven what is a sterile corner.

Now if we could just get someone to lease the space where the 210 Trade sales office was and put another entrance on College, that block would really have some urban qualitites.