Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Ah, yeah that's what I thought. I wonder what they're doing in there then, probably just scoping it out. I've really never noticed that space before, has it ever been anything?

IIts the "Pomodoro Room" which is a meeting/event space. 

Didn't know where to put this, but BB&T is acquiring Susquehanna Bank which is apparently a fairly large acquisition. They plan to consolidate space saving 32% in expenses.

I know BB&T is Winston based, but I hope Charlotte can get some jobs as a result of the merger.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/11/5-things-to-know-about-bb-ts-huge-acquisition.html

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

While I avoid Overstreet like the plague, it would be at least nice for them to enclose that section through their deck both toward Vapiano/Dean Deluca and toward 2 WF.  

Regardless it is still good when a Winston company does something other than wither and die.  That poor city has had so many moments of greatness only to fade with the times (RJR, Hanes, Krispy Kreme, Wachovia).  BB&T is their primary corporate success story at this point.  

Speaking of BB&T, are there plans to shore up their link in the Overstreet Mall. Every time I walk through the garage I think, "Here's where they ran out of ideas."

I sincerely hope not. That thing is a blight on uptown, and it shouldn't be improved to encourage any more pedestrians than there already are.

Guess you've never visited overstreet on a weekend or after 5 or teeming is 3 security guards and a couple bums then. It's dead, dead, dead. There could be a lot better use for that space IMHO. But really we need street facing retail not hidden inside mall retail so I guess I dont care either way.

Guess you've never visited overstreet on a weekend or after 5 or teeming is 3 security guards and a couple bums then. It's dead, dead, dead. There could be a lot better use for that space IMHO. But really we need street facing retail not hidden inside mall retail so I guess I dont care either way.

Perhaps its the wrong way to look at it, but the way I see it, it serves its purpose. It caters to 8-5 M-F crowd and it does that very well. I'm not sure what other uses it could have. Any other use for it that I can vision would be better left for outside.

Perhaps its the wrong way to look at it, but the way I see it, it serves its purpose. It caters to 8-5 M-F crowd and it does that very well. I'm not sure what other uses it could have. Any other use for it that I can vision would be better left for outside.

I would make it a professional services mall, brokerages, banks, dentists, eye doctors, and would add office depot, etc.  All impulse type purchases should be on the street.

• Like 1

That seems wildly out of place in Uptown Charlotte. 

I could not disagree more. 

Honestly its exactly what Uptown has been missing. My wife stayed at Bohemian Savannah the weekend we got married (switched to the Andaz for the wedding night) and its really wonderful. It'll be like the Ritz for the people that go party at epicentre. There are plenty of people that meet their target demo, and it belongs. Honestly the only thing I didn't like about it was that the rooms were so identical to one another, You'd think a place like that would have more variety.

It looks like Marriott operates this brand in Asheville and Orlando...are they all? I really really love the look of the one in Orlando (it for some reason reminds me of the hotel Bond goes to in Quantum of Solace). If we get anything remotely similar to that, it is an absolute win. How many floors is this one supposed to be?

Edited by Jayvee

It looks like Marriott operates this brand in Asheville and Orlando...are they all? I really really love the look of the one in Orlando (it for some reason reminds me of the hotel Bond goes to in Quantum of Solace). If we get anything remotely similar to that, it is an absolute win. How many floors is this one supposed to be?

I would guess no taller than 12 floors.