Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/101-independence-center-towerlisted-for-sale-comes.html

If 101 &. BoA Plaza actually commit to retail, I wonder if it would be enough clout make the surrounding a retail district from the possible Publix @ skyhouse to Trade/Tryon & Epicenter

I wonder if there would be a way to market these potential retail spots as a "single"retail center. Tryon Shopping center/mall/whatever

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/101-independence-center-towerlisted-for-sale-comes.html

If 101 &. BoA Plaza actually commit to retail, I wonder if it would be enough clout make the surrounding a retail district from the possible Publix @ skyhouse to Trade/Tryon & Epicenter

I wonder if there would be a way to market these potential retail spots as a "single"retail center. Tryon Shopping center/mall/whatever

Honestly, big retailers are looking for nearby retailers to stay near, and create competition. You need dozens of retailers to attact a diverse clientele. If there were enough storefronts in a connected area, I think retail would thrive.

Edited by Guest

I think I remember that Meat and Fish Co is relocating and that's why they moved out of the market.  Although a quick Google search did not bring any updates.  Just this paragraph from a May business journal article about the new butcher.

"The uptown shop will occupy the space vacated by Meat & Fish Co., which is expanding and relocating. No further details about Meat & Fish Co. were available"

Yeah, I remember reading that, but I have little faith they they will reopen since its been this long.

I heard a rumor through the grapevine about Google looking to take some office space in uptown, possibly over in Levine's 1st Ward development.  Has anyone else heard any murmurings about this?

So what you're saying is that Google may land in Levineland in 2035?

Edited by wend28

I heard a rumor through the grapevine about Google looking to take some office space in uptown, possibly over in Levine's 1st Ward development.  Has anyone else heard any murmurings about this?

Just saw a note from the Charlotte Chamber that Ring Central is opening an East Coast operation in downtown Charlotte with 100 people.  They are a cloud management phone company.  Perhaps the rumor had the wrong client name.

Just saw a note from the Charlotte Chamber that Ring Central is opening an East Coast operation in downtown Charlotte with 100 people.  They are a cloud management phone company.  Perhaps the rumor had the wrong client name.

It's certainly possible.  It' was a heard through a person who heard through someone that Google was looking in 1st Ward.  When I asked for something more specific (like if they were just referring to a Google Fiber network or something) I was told "Google just wants to establish themselves in uptown and they are looking in 1st ward".  So, take that for whatever it is.  It could be total BS.  I'll be just as shocked as anyone if it comes to fruition.  

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but certainly possible I guess.  I would have guessed sales office if you hadn't said First Ward, but they could lease that anywhere.  First Ward makes me wonder if it has something to do with UNCC relatively well respected Big Data program, and would want to be adjacent to the UNCC building.  THAT would be majorly exciting.  Long term, UNCC still plans to add a second building acress 9th where Enterprise is now, and move more of the business school downton, as well as a few other programs I believe.

• Like 1

^ While I would love to see a second UNCC building uptown it will be AT LEAST10 years in the future before funding is available due to state budget issues and a backlog of space demands on the main campus. Having the current uptown building sit empty most of the day (the majority of classes in the building are after 5pm, Monday-Thursday) also does not encourage the UNC System to budget for another one.

But if a giant donor steps up to provide $$$ for a named building.....

A couple of people posted re: Ebenezers Coffeehouse going into Firestation #4 in Uptown...we had that property under contract for about 6 months and our investor fell through right before closing. Ryan Kalil bought it right after it went back on the market...definitely disappointing, as we had some pretty unique plans for the site to turn it into a 2,000 sq ft coffee house & 300 seat multi-use venue for the community. We'll still pursue other sights for concept, but that was disappointing for sure. You can check out what we were doing at www.ebenezerscharlotte.com. 

A couple of people posted re: Ebenezers Coffeehouse going into Firestation #4 in Uptown...we had that property under contract for about 6 months and our investor fell through right before closing. Ryan Kalil bought it right after it went back on the market...definitely disappointing, as we had some pretty unique plans for the site to turn it into a 2,000 sq ft coffee house & 300 seat multi-use venue for the community. We'll still pursue other sights for concept, but that was disappointing for sure. You can check out what we were doing at www.ebenezerscharlotte.com. 

I am routing for you guys.  I think the concept is awesome, and the fact that all profits go toward aid work...I am sold.

Is this the same Ebenezer's Coffee owned by National Community Church. They have an Ebenezer's Coffee near Union Station on Capital Hill.

From the looks of the website...yes.

Looked like all the TV road crews were hanging out on Hill Street behind the Charlotte Observer building between Church and Tryon.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is Trump sniffing around again?

Its because Cam Newton got in a car crash there...

Also Trump project was replaced with Tryon Place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/at-t-to-vacate-350-000-square-foot-uptown-building.html?page=all

Here's an article about AT&T moving out of it's uptown office. We have previously discussed it on here, but here is an article with more info.

Does that include the windowless building that looks like a horrid prison? If so, what do you do with that sort of thing? Who would occupy it? Just a tear-down and rebuild?

Does that include the windowless building that looks like a horrid prison? If so, what do you do with that sort of thing? Who would occupy it? Just a tear-down and rebuild?

Unfortunately no...this is just the building on Brevard. The ugly ATT building on Caldwell houses essential equipment that makes the entire phone system in the 704 area code work...so that won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

If the art is that literally just tenant branding, then should definitely just be removed when the tenant leaves.   I think it is a little more timeless than just "Bell South Rents This Building" and absolutely should not be edited just because of a new tenant.  :)

The older AT&T building has been mistreated as a structure and made to look very ugly, but it actually has some historic interest being a bell system building for almost a century.   Obviously with the valuable communications equipment it now looks like a windowless fortress/prison than an urban building, but if AT&T ever gave, they could put security windows in that would look better than louvered steel and cage bars.  The amount of permanent utility wiring to and from that building means it will not likely go anywhere.  

On the flip side, it is far more attractive as a utility building than all the Duke substations.   How many other utility structures do you have an antique art deco façade?   If they ever do tear down that building, we will be getting something far uglier and utilitarian/brutal, not nicer, so don't wish for that too quickly.  

The bigger hope would be that it gets built around so that it isn't surrounded on 3 sides by massive parking lots that make you notice it too much, and hopefully the maintenance of the building will eventually power wash it or replace the window security with something more attractive.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/at-t-to-vacate-350-000-square-foot-uptown-building.html?page=all

Here's an article about AT&T moving out of it's uptown office. We have previously discussed it on here, but here is an article with more info.

I like this quote because it's blatantly false:

"AT&T remains committed to Charlotte and to North Carolina, and we expect this change to have no effect on our employees and operations," a spokesman said.

I think their new location is not exactly a trade up for employees.

• Like 1

Sad story to see

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/16/5389325/bicyclist-struck-by-car-in-uptown.html#.VJGs-P8SBA

Tryon isn't really the street I would be riding my bike down, however, we need to make it safer for cyclists uptown. It's an unusually beautiful downtown area and a great place to ride a bike, if it was safer.