Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Today has been pretty exciting on the development front, and 2015 is shaping up to be quite the year for Charlotte even before it gets started.

Here is a list of towers either under construction or set to break ground in 2015:

Residential:

-Mint Museum Apartments- 42 stories

-The Bearden- 32 Stories

-Skyhouse 1&2- 24 stories x2

Office:

-300 South Tryon- 25 stories

-Tryon Place- 27+ stories

-Portman- 19 stories

Hotel:

-Embassy Suites- 250 rooms

Additionally, here are some more projects in the works whose details are less concrete or they are rumored to be in the works:

AC Hotels/Residence Inn Epicenter- 300 rooms

SREE Hotel- ??? Rooms

300 South Tryon Hotel- 200+ rooms

Grand Bohemian Hotel- ??? rooms

Canopy Hotel- ??? rooms

Crescent Hotel at Tryon place- 250+ rooms

Hotel at alternate Crescent site- 450 rooms (have read that it might be a Hyatt Regency)

Apartments at Alternate Crescent site- 600+ apartments

Tivoli apartment project at 6th and College- 30+ stories

Levine Hotel/Apartment project at Midtown- 25 stories

Morehead St Office project- 14 stories

I may have missed some, or be in error about some (feel free to add or correct). However, its quite an impressive list and I did not include low-rise projects. It looks like in the next few years uptown and the adjacent areas will look like a tower crane farm...Either that or we are running headlong toward another precipitous decline in the real estate market. If Donald Trump shows up looking to buy some land in uptown we'll know which one it is.

You missed one important thing. The Tryon place hotel will be a hotel and residences. 300 rooms plus 100 apartments. 25+ floors.

It is an impressive list. Also, don't forget the BB&T Ballpark hotel/ office, which has been silent for a while now. It should have an enormous impact on the feel of the stadium, thus an impact on visitors and tourists soaking in the skyline and atmosphere who attend events there.

Today has been pretty exciting on the development front, and 2015 is shaping up to be quite the year for Charlotte even before it gets started. 

Here is a list of towers either under construction or set to break ground in 2015:

Residential:

-Mint Museum Apartments- 42 stories

-The Bearden- 32 Stories

-Skyhouse 1&2- 24 stories x2

Office:

-300 South Tryon- 25 stories

-Tryon Place- 27+ stories

-Portman- 19 stories

Hotel:

-Embassy Suites- 250 rooms

Additionally, here are some more projects in the works whose details are less concrete or they are rumored to be in the works:

AC Hotels/Residence Inn Epicenter- 300 rooms

SREE Hotel- ??? Rooms

300 South Tryon Hotel- 200+ rooms

Grand Bohemian Hotel- ??? rooms

Canopy Hotel- ??? rooms

Crescent Hotel at Tryon place- 250+ rooms

Hotel at alternate Crescent site- 450 rooms (have read that it might be a Hyatt Regency)

Apartments at Alternate Crescent site- 600+ apartments

Tivoli apartment project at 6th and College- 30+ stories

Levine Hotel/Apartment project at Midtown- 25 stories

Morehead St Office project- 14 stories

I may have missed some, or be in error about some (feel free to add or correct).  However, its quite an impressive list and I did not include low-rise projects.   It looks like in the next few years uptown and the adjacent areas will look like a tower crane farm...Either that or we are running headlong toward another precipitous decline in the real estate market.  If Donald Trump shows up looking to buy some land in uptown we'll know which one it is.

Good list. They added a floor to The Bearden. So it is now 33 stories.http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/greystar-purchases-uptown-charlottesite-plans-to.html

• Like 1

Random musing, but the new Duckworths/old Fox n' Hound looks solid from the outside. They've added large garage style door/windows all along the front, assumingly for an open air atmosphere on nice days that is definitely needed on that side of town.

I'm worried about how much money I'm going to spend at this place...

• Like 2

Random musing, but the new Duckworths/old Fox n' Hound looks solid from the outside. They've added large garage style door/windows all along the front, assumingly for an open air atmosphere on nice days that is definitely needed on that side of town.

I'm worried about how much money I'm going to spend at this place...

I said the same thing to a buddy the other day. I love duckworths and something besides rock bottom on this side of town will be awesome. I have a feeling those 2 will help each other out a lot

I didn't know where to put this really, but by fall of 2015, we should have cranes up (or dirty moving) on these taller projects;

300 South Tryon

AC Hotel

Bearden

Mint Museum Apartments

Those 4 projects are pretty much set in stone, correct?

I didn't add Tryon Place because it doesn't seem like a set in stone project. Likely, but not set in stone.

It's a hotel. They have no reason to build hoopla. They don't need tenants or home buyers.

Not to mention we had to find the AC Hotel rendering ourselves. LOL.

Also, I think Tryon Place is a 85-90%. 

Edited by Guest

It's a hotel. They have no reason to build hoopla. They don't need tenants or home buyers.

Not to mention we had to find the AC Hotel rendering ourselves. LOL.

Also, I think Tryon Place is a 85-90%. 

LOL touche, good points. Well I wanna see it. I am really hoping the Grand Bohemian has some good height to it too (if it ever happens).

Edited by Jayvee

I think this thread was needed, to flesh out the little happenings here and there. I noticed a streetlevel retail store in Uptown a few months ago. It's sad but I was shocked and excited to see a store in our supposed "city". But hey it's progress.... I think it's on 4th St. I know it's adjacent to a parking garage. Looks like an upscale furnishings store. I did not catch the name going by. Anybody know?

Pretty sure you're thinking of Abbeydale. This is a high end men's suit custom shop. It's in about 500 square feet but still very cool and better than nothing. The owner has an excellent reputation by all accounts and I know several who have purchased a suit there and were very happy. 

Pretty sure you're thinking of Abbeydale. This is a high end men's suit custom shop. It's in about 500 square feet but still very cool and better than nothing. The owner has an excellent reputation by all accounts and I know several who have purchased a suit there and were very happy. 

Love my Abbeydale shirts and suit!

Not trying to be rude, but you do realize that the post you answered to was 7 years ago, right?

• Like 1

Last week I met with a long time RE contact and who is working on several sites for an uptown condo project. The developer who hired them has a few they're considering but at this point they're thinking 20 some stories, less than 200 units, 500k plus price point and all of them larger floor plans. Can't believe we're back to pre-construction speculation but it's real interest at least. This will require a pre-sales minimum and a hefty deposit for buyers so I'm skeptical to say the least. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/05/n-cgov-mccrory-i-do-not-have-the-tools-i-need-to.html?page=all

"N.C. Gov. McCrory: 'I do not have the tools I need' to attract major corporate expansions"

This seems like a no brainer for the state to give what it needs (lets take as many corporate HQs as possible!), but obviously it's more complicated than it looks on the surface. That being said, I hope this doesn't detriment our growth.

Edited by Jayvee

McCrory is simply acknowledging that we don't have the graduate course numbers or students in sciences and technical fields at this time to attract  certain specialized corporations. This is certainly nothing new and I believe that if anyone will make a huge effort to improve matters in this area, McCrory will. We need what Boston, Silicone Valley, and the Raleigh area have to accelerate desired growth areas of science and technology. I believe we are doing great, but we can probably improve.

Edited by caterpillar2

For what it's worth, the restaurant at BofA Plaza that is supposed to go on the ground floor at the corner, and also put seating over the existing fountain, entered permitting last month, and received some of its trade approvals as part of permitting as recently as last week.  Hope this moves foward.  The project is still labled as Essex, so we'll see if that concept does come to fruition.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the restaurant at BofA Plaza that is supposed to go on the ground floor at the corner, and also put seating over the existing fountain, entered permitting last month, and received some of its trade approvals as part of permitting as recently as last week. Hope this moves foward. The project is still labled as Essex, so we'll see if that concept does come to fruition.

For me, it's a shame. The water fountain is more interesting. I don't eat at the higher end places and it's (too many) places like these why uptown sucks. Just walk around looking at all the fancy restaraunts....

(I do admit its an interesting looking design. Just impatient for some real retail)