Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

For me, it's a shame. The water fountain is more interesting. I don't eat at the higher end places and it's (too many) places like these why uptown sucks. Just walk around looking at all the fancy restaraunts....

(I do admit its an interesting looking design. Just impatient for some real retail)

Even if I never end up eating there, I'll still find it a 10x better use of space than the fountain and at least there will be human activity. 3 of the 4 corners of the square have plazas with fountains (!), this being the least interesting one, so I can't imagine missing it. I do love the big waterfall on the west/northwest corner though. 

Even if I never end up eating there, I'll still find it a 10x better use of space than the fountain and at least there will be human activity. 3 of the 4 corners of the square have plazas with fountains (!), this being the least interesting one, so I can't imagine missing it. I do love the big waterfall on the west/northwest corner though. 

Agreed, the waterfall is a fantastic feature. I actually think its great on both sides (BOACC and by Room 112), the one in front of the Omni was boring. However, I wish they'd keep it running while everything is in limbo with the site.

Last week I met with a long time RE contact and who is working on several sites for an uptown condo project. The developer who hired them has a few they're considering but at this point they're thinking 20 some stories, less than 200 units, 500k plus price point and all of them larger floor plans. Can't believe we're back to pre-construction speculation but it's real interest at least. This will require a pre-sales minimum and a hefty deposit for buyers so I'm skeptical to say the least. 

What percentage of the condos are still for sale at Skye?   I am surprised we are back to pre-construction construction sales, as the market is sure to be scared off by all the lost deposits in the last boom.   I guess at 20 stories, it is more modest in scale and maybe will be able to pull it off.  

The 7th and North Tryon parcel would be a great spot for a condo tower like that.   Skyline views would be preserved well by the Transamerica, churches, library and Spirit Square.  It would have a Tryon address and close proximity to a lot of the uptown amenities.   It is a site that hasn't been talked about lately, but I do hope would come back into play with some momentum shifting toward First Ward and North Tryon.   

Of course, I assume they are looking too at some misc parcels near Bearden and there are no shortage of spots for them to chose from.   

• Like 1

For me, it's a shame. The water fountain is more interesting. I don't eat at the higher end places and it's (too many) places like these why uptown sucks. Just walk around looking at all the fancy restaraunts....

(I do admit its an interesting looking design. Just impatient for some real retail)

I generally agree with this sentiment. However, I think that if high end restaurants should go anywhere, it should be on the square. That should be the high-rent district for restaurants. As long as we continue to get other infill retail and 'normal' restaurants then I think it's ok. I also like the idea of more people on the square. That extension of the plaza between the two BofA Plaza towers has always been kind of a weird space, and I think having a restaurant and people outside sitting there will help to humanize it a little more (particularly if they have their entrance onto the plaza and not just the interior mall).

What percentage of the condos are still for sale at Skye?   I am surprised we are back to pre-construction construction sales, as the market is sure to be scared off by all the lost deposits in the last boom...

Of course, I assume they are looking too at some misc parcels near Bearden and there are no shortage of spots for them to chose from.   

I would hope that this time around that buyers can demand their deposits sit in a hard escrow that can only be used as a credit torward purchase or surrendered if a buyer fails to close.  In the last cycle, many contracts allowed developers to use that escrow money to fund soft and hard costs of the development, which meant they were the first things spent before the developers own equity or a construction loan (or in the case of The Park, to fund the down payment to purchase the gravel lot next door by someone with POA and who had access to those escrows and then subsequently lost that land back to a bank)

20 story condo tower?   Best site in my opinion is the Cigar Shop on Morehead between College and Tryon, or I agree that the Preferred Parking owned parcel fronting Bearden Park on 4th between Mint and Poplar is pretty good as well.

BofA owns that land at 7th and Tryon, and I suspect will want to continue to own it for future office construction.  Not that I think anything is imminent, but it is the last site they control for new development excluding redeveloping their parking decks, but the last site on Tryon regardless. 

LOL touche, good points. Well I wanna see it. I am really hoping the Grand Bohemian has some good height to it too (if it ever happens).

Small update on the GB, but it completed its pre-submittal meeting with Land Use.  On the meeting sign-in, there was an architect from LS3P and a partner from LandDesign.....so they def aren't going the cheap route.

Small update on the GB, but it completed its pre-submittal meeting with Land Use.  On the meeting sign-in, there was an architect from LS3P and a partner from LandDesign.....so they def aren't going the cheap route.

This is LS3Ps Concept for Charleston's Grand Bohemian. I can guarantee this thing will be great!

9-Screen_shot_2013-06-25_at_10.39.59_AM.

This is LS3Ps Concept for Charleston's Grand Bohemian. I can guarantee this thing will be great!

9-Screen_shot_2013-06-25_at_10.39.59_AM.

I sincerely hope we get something like this (in terms of detailed, quality architecture). Charleston has insanely high design standards compared to Charlotte though, and they also have no problem telling developers no (which is something Charlotte almost never does). 

Being a fan of McAlisters Deli and working in the BofA Plaza building this makes me VERY excited. I believe this is going where the old sushi place was in BofA Plaza.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/07/mcalister-s-deli-announces-location-at-charlottes.html

Edited by Jayvee

Being a fan of McAlisters Deli and working in the BofA Plaza building this makes me VERY excited. I believe this is going where the old sushi place was in BofA Plaza.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/07/mcalister-s-deli-announces-location-at-charlottes.html

That is great news. The more casual places in overstreet mall, the better. I hate the feeling one can sometimes get that you're not supposed to be in there. Especially in the summer time when wearing shorts and a tshirt.

• Like 1

Our nice collab with Biz Journals continues.....Mr. Boye writes up an article on the possibility of the Grand Bohemian. Unrelated: I am surprised they haven't picked up on the Observer site to Lincoln Harris yet...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/01/kessler-exploring-development-of-grand.html

Our nice collab with Biz Journals continues.....Mr. Boye writes up an article on the possibility of the Grand Bohemian. Unrelated: I am surprised they haven't picked up on the Observer site to Lincoln Harris yet...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/01/kessler-exploring-development-of-grand.html

If i know Will, he's trying to dig up new information so that he's not just summarizing what Ely said in his article.

Imagine if we actually got a building made out of stone.  It'd be like right after you dropped a park and land value increased in Sim City, resulting in higher wealth sims needing a place to stay......I need a life.

You are not alone. I just discovered SimCity BuildIt on the iPad and am now obsessed. Reminds me of my 12-hour SimCity binges in College.

• Like 2

Yeah, I remember reading that, but I have little faith they they will reopen since its been this long.

Meat and Fish opening by May at Morehead and McDowell: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/07/5431216/meat-seafood-co-plans-new-location.html#.VK6Fj47F_vc

Edit: Oops, sorry, already posted in the Dilworth thread.

Edited by grodney

You are not alone. I just discovered SimCity BuildIt on the iPad and am now obsessed. Reminds me of my 12-hour SimCity binges in College.

I just discovered this too, its cut my productivity almost as much as this forum has. If only it was that easy to create buildings here in CLT.

In other news, a few uptown projects seem to have fallen completely silent, which is a bit of a bummer, but does anyone know if there are any updates:

- 5th St. building outside of Connelly's

- Boutique hotel in the Ivey

- BofA Plaza retail retrofit