Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Carolina Ale House is your typical sports bar, but I do have to give them some credit. In recent years there has been a push to locate in actual urban locations. Last year they announced opening in an empty building in downtown Raleigh, with not one, but three of their restaurants. Now they are locating in one of the worst ground-floors in Charlotte (the other being the BB&T building across the street). This is a positive sign at the success of Epicentre and the resurgence of College St.

So happy to hear something is going into the base of this building. That area can be quite dead, and I think the Ale House could help to liven things up a bit. The beer isn't bad and the wings are really pretty good if you haven't tried them before. The locations here in the Raleigh area seem to always have good business when I drive by.

I think the fact that Carolina Ale House is pretty generic is probably its main selling point. The food/beer is pretty decent, but sometimes I just feel like going to a lowest-common-denominator sort of place and this pulls it off pretty well.

They also have one in RDU airport that serves breakfast fare as well.

Is it just me or is the new UNC building uptown one of the ugliest sights in the uptown area? It looks horible.

I'm not crazy about the color of the opaque panels that aren't actual windows, but overall I still really love the building and most people seem pretty attracted to it. I have no idea what they're going to do with the north-facing side that is still all black.

I'm not crazy about the color of the opaque panels that aren't actual windows, but overall I still really love the building and most people seem pretty attracted to it. I have no idea what they're going to do with the north-facing side that is still all black.

I've got to think they have a plan for that blank wall. It's the wall facing the major Interstate entrance point for the city. Why THAT wall unless there is a plan. Although many of my architect friends would say "value engineering kills great concepts"....we shall see.

Really? I think it's just you. I'm totally loving this building.

Maybe it has lots of work to be done at this point I am hoping. I was riding around with a friend on Sunday and both noticed and commented on how drab and unattractive it is presently. Maybe when and if they actually start building around the area, it will seem more appealing. Is there still quite a bit more exterior work to be done?

Maybe it has lots of work to be done at this point I am hoping. I was riding around with a friend on Sunday and both noticed and commented on how drab and unattractive it is presently. Maybe when and if they actually start building around the area, it will seem more appealing. Is there still quite a bit more exterior work to be done?

Actually, when you go back and look at the original presentation drawing, it had much more sparkle. It's tending to appear rather drab. But let's wait and see.

The UNC Charlotte Uptown building skin reminds me of the Citicorp building in Long Island City (Queens, NY).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Citicorp_Building_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the skin itself, but I love the shape of the building (UNC one) and think it will look great when occupied at night.

Don't know what is going on with the black side though.

I hope it's not another Trademark.

The_Trademark_-_Back.JPG

Beautiful in the front and the back side... not so beautiful.

Are there any renderings showing the back of the UNCC building? :ermm:

There are not any renderings of the backside, thankfully there will be a building built that will block the backside of the building. :-) so thats good news!

Carolina Ale House is opening thier first Charlotte location which will be in Uptown. They are based in the Triangle area, and looking at their website, looks like a generic sports bar type of place. BUT, the good news is that it will really urbanize a dead spot.

They are locating in the ground floor of Charlotte Plaza, and are taking the whole side along 4th St (across from Epicentre). They are adding awnings and anouther entrance to the building along College, and I believe will have outdoor seating along 4th which right now is a really wide sidewalk. The space is huge, with a 2nd floor seating area.

I suppose the Danny Fontana, and his related Triune Capital investment firm which is currently in the ground floor space are relocating to their larger SouthPark area offices. It's a shame that the mini Fontana radio booth will be gone, becuase it was a cool feature, but this will certainly help much more to enliven what is a sterile corner.

Now if we could just get someone to lease the space where the 210 Trade sales office was and put another entrance on College, that block would really have some urban qualitites.

There is a Panera going in where the 210 Trade sales office was... Perfect IMO rolleyes.gif

It should do very well. While not overly exciting, one of the things I miss about Boston are the coffee shops and such that enliven the street during the early mornings. If this has an exterior entrance along College, and a shiny new awning, I'll consider it a net positive.

Which spot are we talking about? Not sure I ever saw that sales office. Is it also in the Charlotte Plaza building or one of the units across the street?

Also, there is a restaurant called Vapiano going in next to Dean & Deluca. Its not very far along yet but I saw the door open and it looks like a big space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2010/10/29/viva-vapiano.html

From the sound of it, it'll be in direct competition with Newk's.

Edited by nonillogical

Vapiano's has taken DC by storm. It is a place for hipsters to eat and drink amongst hot hip people. It is swanky fast food. I am really impressed that Charlotte is one of the few elite locations of the domestic Vapianos. NYC just got a location last July!

Vapiano has numerous locations in Germany, along with locations in Austria, Estonia, Sweden, Russia, Belgium, the Netherlands, Serbia, Croatia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, the UK and Hungary. Vapiano opened a new location in early 2007 in Istanbul, Turkey. In 2007, Vapiano expanded into the U.S. market, opening restaurants in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area -- Dupont Circle, Ballston, Virginia, and Dulles Town Center. Another location opened in D.C.'s Chinatown in March 2009. A branch opened in Dallas' Mockingbird Station in May 2009.

Vapiano opened its first Australian store in Brisbane in November 2009.[5]A new location was opened in Boston, Massachusetts, in May 2010. A new location was opened in Bethesda, Maryland, in the summer of 2010. The first New York City location was opened near Union Square on July 14.