Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I am not sure about that, and they dont have downstairs on the plans on Accela. I could ask, stand by

My step-dad is the Director of Operations for them.  They are definitely doing the speak easy/new concept in the basement and the other two floors will be Duckworth's.  

For those that love beer, the amount of taps they are putting into this place is crazy!

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 3

My step-dad is the Director of Operations for them.  They are definitely doing the speak easy/new concept in the basement and the other two floors will be Duckworth's.  

For those that love beer, the amount of taps they are putting into this place is crazy!

Awesome news! So that means when they institute a password to get down there, you can share it with us :)

But in all seriousness, the speakeasy concept is VERY popular and something Charlotte sorely lacks. Prohibition absolutely wastes their name, so hopefully Duckworth's can pull this off!

I hope the speakeasy really feels like one. There was an awesome one in Charleston on East Bay Street that was easily one of the coolest places I've ever been (it was hidden below "Light"). I think it burned down a couple of years ago though.

Exactly my thoughts. It needs to have prohibition era liquor (NO FIREBALL), some kind of passcode to get in, hard to spot (in a basement thats pretty hard to do but whatever), the works!

Exactly my thoughts. It needs to have prohibition era liquor (NO FIREBALL), some kind of passcode to get in, hard to spot (in a basement thats pretty hard to do but whatever), the works!

If I recall, this will be more along the lines of a "beer cellar" and less a liquor speak-easy.  

If I recall, this will be more along the lines of a "beer cellar" and less a liquor speak-easy.  

I'm cool with that if its kind of like the basement at Wicked Weed in Asheville, where they have different offerings down there, focusing more on experimental barrel aged beers and sours. 

We DO need a high end mixology type bar though whether it has a speakeasy theme or not. I find it kind of embarrassing that we don't have anything that can even remotely compete with Raleigh's Fox Liquor Bar, Asheville's Sazerac and Sky Bar, or a dozen spots in Charleston and Savannah. You can get a great mixed drink in Charlotte, but you have to do it in a restaurant. 

As I don't see a Fourth Ward Apartments thread I will put it here...

Not sure if it was previously mention but plans for 225 N Cedar apartments are up on Accela

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LUR&capID2=00000&capID3=00027

Not bad lookin to be honest

iLLe2Xa.png

Ironically there is a thread on this very address:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/43938-225-n-cedar-st/

But it got archived from being stagnant so long. 

Good to see that density.  I like 8-10 story projects for density fillers, especially farther away from Tryon. 

Definitely beer-centric. 20 taps, separate menu and kitchens, no tv's, proper beer temps, appropriate glassware, beer cooler/cellar. They do plan to hire a mixologist and offer wine as well.

The unfortunate fact is that this place will always be packed. We have so few unique bar settings in the city, it'll be a hot commodity. Look at Craft, it's basically a big room serving preheated flat bread pizza's with a solid beer selection and you can't even find a seat there half the time. They might as well go ahead and lable this thing as the "bro-cellar". Sorry for the abrupt cynicism, haha. I'm still excited, I promise.

• Like 1

The unfortunate fact is that this place will always be packed. We have so few unique bar settings in the city, it'll be a hot commodity. Look at Craft, it's basically a big room serving preheated flat bread pizza's with a solid beer selection and you can't even find a seat there half the time. They might as well go ahead and lable this thing as the "bro-cellar". Sorry for the abrupt cynicism, haha. I'm still excited, I promise.

I agree and it goes with my constant criticism of the lack of originality in most bars uptown. La Tagliatella (Italian place in epi) closed for good (not surprising. Bad reviews. Always empty.) so hopefully a great tenant moves in here with an amazing bar concept!

This phenomenon is not THAT hard to control, but Charlotte establishments are reluctant to do it especially uptown. Don't play top 40 and club hits. Just don't do it (it is crazy how many FANCY restaurants will blast obnoxious music at you as if its a club). No TV is a step in the right direction, now play low volume, jazzy or maybe trip hop music. Control the space so it is tight enough that standing crowds around the bar are discouraged. If you don't make it feel like a space for bros they won't take over.

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

This phenomenon is not THAT hard to control, but Charlotte establishments are reluctant to do it especially uptown. Don't play top 40 and club hits. Just don't do it (it is crazy how many FANCY restaurants will blast obnoxious music at you as if its a club). No TV is a step in the right direction, now play low volume, jazzy or maybe trip hop music. Control the space so it is tight enough that standing crowds around the bar are discouraged. If you don't make it feel like a space for bros they won't take over.

I agree with all of this.  All of it.  All.

• Like 1

I agree as well, it's very easy to control. And Bubble tried it at first, and really wanted to be something different. But it didn't take long to devolve into a full on club. The problem is a lot of places don't do well at first when they go outside the norm so they devolve and it discourages anything new. An established brand or local name needs to come in to break that mold.

The music thing is a major issue for sure. I love me some top 40 and edm, but i don't need it at 5 church.

Also, Ely cooked up a nice little article on the apt boom

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/06/5498320/apartment-boom-not-necessarily.html#.VNUCYS7wCuo

Edited by Jayvee

I'm cool with that if its kind of like the basement at Wicked Weed in Asheville, where they have different offerings down there, focusing more on experimental barrel aged beers and sours. 

We DO need a high end mixology type bar though whether it has a speakeasy theme or not. I find it kind of embarrassing that we don't have anything that can even remotely compete with Raleigh's Fox Liquor Bar, Asheville's Sazerac and Sky Bar, or a dozen spots in Charleston and Savannah. You can get a great mixed drink in Charlotte, but you have to do it in a restaurant. 

Uptown definitely needs this!  You can get cool and classic cocktails in Charlotte, just not Uptown.  Try Heist, Summit House, and a few others.  None of those have the feel of Fox though.  That sort of thing could only be reproduced in a downtown setting.

OR, how about some LOCAL retailers and restaurants. Why do people want large chains? Staying power? Draw? 

Need a large chain to anchor first, that way it creates interest. Get a Banana Republic, a Urban Outfitters and a H&M and there will be enough retail to warrant staying downtown and shopping, thus creating the opportunity for local retailers.

Edited by Guest

Need a large chain to anchor first, that way it creates interest. Get a Banana Republic, a Urban Outfitters and a H&M and there will be enough retail to warrant staying downtown and shopping, thus creating the opportunity for local retailers.

Bingo. Hard to draw in crowds with just an Abbeydale. Birkdale has tons of great local places....but also a BR, etc...

OR, how about some LOCAL retailers and restaurants. Why do people want large chains? Staying power? Draw?

Staying power, draw, deep pockets, finances, etc. And the fact it's Trade & Tryon makes sense to be "chain" retail with locals being on Church, 7th, etc