Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I don't think there is a 4th ward apartments thread, so I will put this here and feel free to move accordingly.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/03/raleigh-firm-to-build-300-unit-apartment-complex.html

Biz Journal article on the 300 unit apt complex going near Gateway (Irwin, 5th, Trade & Sycamore. They hope to start construction in summer and it will be 5 stories wrapped around a parking deck.

Hey hey!! Just what uptown needs, another Starbucks!!! It does sound like they're neatly integrating it, sooo I guess that's cool.

Charlotte Convention Center Starbucks
• Detailed Scope of Work: The project is a new restaurant, Starbucks, (2,000 square foot addition to the Charlotte Convention Center (CCC). The building addition will be located between the north bound track of the CATS Blue Line and the building, north of the tunnel section in the Convention Center. This is areas is being used as an exterior dining patio with tables and chairs. The exterior wall material of the addition will match the color of the4 building and the glass and aluminum curtainwall will match the existing. A backlit "Starbucks sign will be visible from the street along Martin Luther King Blvd and from the South College Street elevation. The existing zoning is UMUD-O.

Edited by Jayvee

I think there's a Starbucks in the CC almost directly beneath the location that describes. I wonder if they're just replacing it with a bigger one that can also be open when the CC is not in use.

I would assume it is just replacing it.

In news that borders on Off-Topic, one of my biggest gripes about Roosters was that when the door opens you get a blast of cold (or hot now) air when you're trying to enjoy one of their fine cocktails. I think that downstairs is a great bar area, but that was super annoying. BUT they have since added a little breezeway (or whatever its called) that will prevent this. YAY! I gotta say, I really appreciate when businesses actually take to heart customer complaints (I go there a lot with work, and they said they've gotten a lot of complaints) and act on them.

Edited by Jayvee

This is good that they added that to help make the space more energy efficient and customer friendly.  

As for the convention center Starbucks, it is still new street retail square footage.  It may not always remain a chain, but even if so, it will support street life and be an improvement over the current area. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.223092,-80.8443,3a,75y,228.52h,80.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sda0IB4GcX84QKoYyA8zo-w!2e0

I had no idea this was happening, but RiRa's redid their upstairs and are rebranding it "The Whiskey Room" it looks awesome

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/18/inside-the-new-whiskey-room-at-ri-ra-photos.html?page=all

3 things though:

1. Can't tell from the pictures but I hope it's the entire upstairs (is that 1200 sq ft)? If not it will be very awkward to walk through this to get through to the rest of the upstairs. They paid a ton of attention to detail though, I can't imagine they'd make this oversight.

- It's not the entire upstairs, just a small portion, it will still be live music on weekends. Very disappointing to hear, basically just makes this place a weekday and before 10 kinda spot. The bar execution in this city is so bad, it drives me insane.

2. PLEASE be no cover

3. PLEASE get the music right

Edited by Jayvee

I had no idea this was happening, but RiRa's redid their upstairs and are rebranding it "The Whiskey Room" it looks awesome

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/18/inside-the-new-whiskey-room-at-ri-ra-photos.html?page=all

3 things though:

1. Can't tell from the pictures but I hope it's the entire upstairs (is that 1200 sq ft)? If not it will be very awkward to walk through this to get through to the rest of the upstairs. They paid a ton of attention to detail though, I can't imagine they'd make this oversight.

- It's not the entire upstairs, just a small portion, it will still be live music on weekends. Very disappointing to hear, basically just makes this place a weekday and before 10 kinda spot. The bar execution in this city is so bad, it drives me insane.

2. PLEASE be no cover

3. PLEASE get the music right

I'm so glad Charlotte is finally getting some good spots to drink.

I'm so glad Charlotte is finally getting some good spots to drink.

Just a shame this place won't be a round the clock whiskey bar. Seems like they're putting all this money and effort in, only to revert back to the same crap on weekends (which will likely see this nice new decor destroyed over time). Why not make the entire upstairs the Whiskey Room? Why this tiny area? I can't POSSIBLY imagine the crappy bands they get to play up there is such lucrative business they need to keep it.

Edited by Jayvee

This may be better for off topic, but it's related to uptown.  Anyone felt like our homeless population has been a little more "aggressive" lately?  The last couple times my wife and I have been walking through uptown we've had confrontations with homeless beggars, including a guy putting his hands on me last night and another guy running to catch up to us as we walked down Trade back to Gateway in the dark and then walking along side of me, cursing my wife and I out; quite violently I might add.  

I'm pretty daring generally, but I have no problem admitting I was scared in that second occasion last night.  I really wish uptown had more foot traffic, as I believe it could really help calm this type of activity.  I could certainly see how this would turn suburbanites "off" from ever coming back into uptown.  It just seems like I can't walk a block anymore with having to tell 5 people "no". 

This may be better for off topic, but it's related to uptown.  Anyone felt like our homeless population has been a little more "aggressive" lately?  The last couple times my wife and I have been walking through uptown we've had confrontations with homeless beggars, including a guy putting his hands on me last night and another guy running to catch up to us as we walked down Trade back to Gateway in the dark and then walking along side of me, cursing my wife and I out; quite violently I might add.  

I'm pretty daring generally, but I have no problem admitting I was scared in that second occasion last night.  I really wish uptown had more foot traffic, as I believe it could really help calm this type of activity.  I could certainly see how this would turn suburbanites "off" from ever coming back into uptown.  It just seems like I can't walk a block anymore with having to tell 5 people "no". 

I've actually felt the opposite, in that I have actually seen less than normal, but I certainly don't doubt your point of view. I think as all these projects get underway uptown, and the new shelter outside of uptown is done, we can see a shift of this population out of uptown.....hopefully.