Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I've actually felt the opposite, in that I have actually seen less than normal, but I certainly don't doubt your point of view. I think as all these projects get underway uptown, and the new shelter outside of uptown is done, we can see a shift of this population out of uptown.....hopefully.

Well that's a relief, hopefully my encounters have just been "one-off's" and aren't part of a larger trend.  Having a homeless population is a part of being a large city and I get that.  It'll never be an issue that just goes away.  But I've always felt comfortable giving a stern "no" and walking away without issue; whether it be Charlotte, NYC or Vancouver.  Verbal attack and physical interaction cross that line pretty quickly though.

On the greenway between Elizabeth & 4th right by the entrance of the tunnel (the little park where the Captain Jack fountain is) there were a small group of aggressive, harrassing homeless people in the day light.

The only time I really felt nervous.

On the greenway between Elizabeth & 4th right by the entrance of the tunnel (the little park where the Captain Jack fountain is) there were a small group of aggressive, harrassing homeless people in the day light.

The only time I really felt nervous.

The Greenway along that stretch is AWFUL.  I ride along it weekly (and jog if I'm up for it) and the amount of drug addicts that sit along the greenway between 4th and the hospital, drinking 4loko and smoking is atrocious.  Couple that with the fact that the greenway is very poorly lit and you get the added surprise of suddenly having 2 random drunk guys basically on top of you as you come out of that tunnel in twilight.  

Added plus if you are a woman and then you get verbally accosted by them, as I've heard on multiple occasions.  Nothing like riding through a giant plume of KOOL cigarette smoke as I ride along the greenway.

Didn't know where to put this so feel free to put elsewhere admins, but Emporis has a cool (yet missing a lot of stuff) map on their site. I haven't been on that site in a long time so this may be old news to some. It does have a few of the prospective projects on here like the 300 North College apartment tower. It has an estimated height of 464 ft. It also has a ton of the old demolished structures (marked in red X), and can be a bit depressing. Would be nice to see this updated with more of the current proposed/under construction projects...

http://www.emporis.com/buildings/map?action=%2Fsearch%2FbuildingsOver200m%2Fcharlotte%252C%2Bnc#

Edited by wend28

Reading an article about a deadly incident involving scaffolding collapsing in Raleigh, it got me thinking about the random scaffolding in uptown. The one outside of the Polk Building seems like a lost cause as it looks likely that building will never be touched, but the ones outside that building at Pine and Trade....what's up with those? Do they serve a purpose? Why is it still up?

Reading an article about a deadly incident involving scaffolding collapsing in Raleigh, it got me thinking about the random scaffolding in uptown. The one outside of the Polk Building seems like a lost cause as it looks likely that building will never be touched, but the ones outside that building at Pine and Trade....what's up with those? Do they serve a purpose? Why is it still up?

my understanding it is present to stop falling bricks or anything from the crumbling building from hitting people on the sidewalk

They already replaced scaffolding with a permanent steel- I-beam structured canopy.  

The Builders Building at Pine and Trade also has the safety scaffolding in case of falling material.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/surveys&rbuildersbuilding.htm

http://www.cmhpf.org/Buildersfronta704.jpgBuildersfronta704.jpg

It is a shame these buildings have not gotten proper maintenance to re-secure the façade, but it is more of an insurance risk mitigation, as materials can fall off of any building, but where they have seen weakening of the cement they add it.  

In both the Polk/Coddington Building and Builders Building, they are owned by entities that do not pay property tax, so there is little incentive to force a change or an update to useful economic use.   That is allowing them to decay, but also allowing them to have escaped the very efficient demolition process in this town.  

That is a shame, who's money has to go in that the building would be shored up so that they can get rid of that scaffolding on the Builders Building?

As far as the polk building is concerned, they only replaced it on the Trade side, there is still some old scaffolding on the Graham side if I am not mistaken. They only replaced it on Trade when that car ran into the building lol.

That is a shame, who's money has to go in that the building would be shored up so that they can get rid of that scaffolding on the Builders Building?

As far as the polk building is concerned, they only replaced it on the Trade side, there is still some old scaffolding on the Graham side if I am not mistaken. They only replaced it on Trade when that car ran into the building lol.

Well someone go drive a car into the Graham street side too so that the scaffolding on that side can get replaced too!  ;)

Wasn't sure what thread this goes in (uptown, dilworth, south end, midtown) but whatever. Dowd ymca getting a $20 mil makeover. Looks awesome.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article16126694.html

Moderator's Note: Down YMCA Discussion is in this thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/page-147

Edited by Spartan
  • Like 1

This may be better for off topic, but it's related to uptown.  Anyone felt like our homeless population has been a little more "aggressive" lately?  The last couple times my wife and I have been walking through uptown we've had confrontations with homeless beggars, including a guy putting his hands on me last night and another guy running to catch up to us as we walked down Trade back to Gateway in the dark and then walking along side of me, cursing my wife and I out; quite violently I might add.  

I'm pretty daring generally, but I have no problem admitting I was scared in that second occasion last night.  I really wish uptown had more foot traffic, as I believe it could really help calm this type of activity.  I could certainly see how this would turn suburbanites "off" from ever coming back into uptown.  It just seems like I can't walk a block anymore with having to tell 5 people "no". 

I feel like they've been more aggressive lately too but I've never experienced anything like that in uptown (I've only been cursed out once since I've lived here and that was in NoDa). They start trying to get my attention from much further away and tend to yell in order to do so. I haven't noticed any increase - I get asked maybe 2-3 times a week on average. However, I've noticed they started asking for 85 cents in the past few months instead of the usual 25 or 50. I'm guessing they had a conference to discuss new panhandling techniques, because this trend is almost universal in that population. 

• Like 2

I feel like they've been more aggressive lately too but I've never experienced anything like that in uptown (I've only been cursed out once since I've lived here and that was in NoDa). They start trying to get my attention from much further away and tend to yell in order to do so. I haven't noticed any increase - I get asked maybe 2-3 times a week on average. However, I've noticed they started asking for 85 cents in the past few months instead of the usual 25 or 50. I'm guessing they had a conference to discuss new panhandling techniques, because this trend is almost universal in that population. 

Is there a consistent story about why they need $0.85?

Nope. Bus fare is the most common, but most of the time they just ask me for money with no explanation. One guy after a Hornets game said he wanted beer. I appreciated his honesty.

Common ploy throughout US cities. Although in Denver it was more about how they needed pot. ;-)

Bus fare is the most common request I get

That makes sense.  Since bus fare is $2.20, I guess $0.85 is a bargain.  

Living southeast of uptown, when I get hit up, it's usually for cab fare.  I should probably buy some CATS day passes for those occasions.