Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Any reason why there would be orange (surveying maybe?) dots on the sidewalk on the right side (if you're facing the city) on trade st from trade and cedar to the j&w parking lot??

Not specifically... but orange probably means AT&T, TWC or one of the other communications type companies. It could be one of dozens of reasons. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_location

hahahah yup some rich dude named Traigle that lives at the Madison is getting an elevator in his condo (creepin).

It is incredible to me that the Madison became a wealthy location, but I guess the world revolves around marketing.

There were plans at one time to build another J&W building next to the AME Church.

To be clear, it is a Primitive Baptist Church.    I feel like AME maybe would have been classy enough to not build a horrifically ugly church, tear down their historic church for a gravel parking lot and then make it so ugly that the neighborhood had to give them a grant just to plant some trees and grass.   >:(     My distaste for them is real, AND it is my voting location, so I try to vote early so I can avoid stepping inside.   But I feel better disliking a "Primitive Baptist Church" than an "African Methodist Episcopal" one.  :)   

• Like 1

It is incredible to me that the Madison became a wealthy location, but I guess the world revolves around marketing.

To be clear, it is a Primitive Baptist Church.    I feel like AME maybe would have been classy enough to not build a horrifically ugly church, tear down their historic church for a gravel parking lot and then make it so ugly that the neighborhood had to give them a grant just to plant some trees and grass.   > :(     My distaste for them is real, AND it is my voting location, so I try to vote early so I can avoid stepping inside.   But I feel better disliking a "Primitive Baptist Church" than an "African Methodist Episcopal" one.   :)   

I stand corrected on the church.

• Like 1

Okay, I went a few pages back and didn't see this mentioned anywhere (though I could be hunting in the wrong thread.)  What is the scaffolding at BoACC along Tryon for?  They have it fenced off and are building new 2x4 tunnels for the entrances so I'm assuming it's a longer term project.  The only thing I could find on accela was waterproofing/renovation work, but those were dated 2013 for when they tore the plaza up last year.

It's a nice filler project, it has decent amount of retail, will have a restaurant in the lobby in addition, 10 floors... I don't mind it. It's a little hospital looking, but every center city needs some variety.

I was under the impression it didn't have any retail.  Well that's a relief.

I was under the impression it didn't have any retail.  Well that's a relief.

Its actually the first adherence to the Brevard Street Plan. There will be Retail Fronting Brevard. 

post-17104-0-30052200-1427720662_thumb.p

Its actually the first adherence to the Brevard Street Plan. There will be Retail Fronting Brevard. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-03-30 at 9.02.56 AM.png

Good news, I think between this and Fahrenheit, there could be hope for those old buildings at 3rd and Brevard to see some upfit. That sketchy club Privilege is gone thank god, but this would be a cool little area between Fahrenheit (2 bars maybe at Embassy) and a couple things in those buildings. What is the deal with that parking lot in front of Skye??

Edited by Jayvee

What does everyone thing about planting strips in uptown as opposed to hardscape w/ tree wells?

Naive comment: I'm not sure I know the difference?? Hardscape with tree wells is (I am assuming) like most of uptown such as 5th st across from dande, where as planting strips is just grass and trees in them?

Edited by Jayvee

Naive comment: I'm not sure I know the difference?? Hardscape with tree wells is (I am assuming) like most of uptown such as 5th st across from dande, where as planting strips is just grass and trees in them?

Thats correct, thats the difference. I prefer tree wells. That way there is still space to walk on, and greenery. The grass is a deterrent for walking, and decreases the amount of pedestrians space, where as you can weave in between trees if necessary. 

The only example of planting strips I can think of in uptown (I'm sure there are more) is on Church at King's Kitchen. And it sucks.

They're everywhere. Trade St, 5th, 6th, Polar, Mint, 3rd, 4th, Caldwell, Brevard, McDowell, Church, etc. It's not the length of the entire street but definitely on multiple blocks. It's more prevalent away from Tryon Street though. And somewhat ironically, the places where they would actually be helpful they don't exist because the road is too wide (Graham St, Stonewall St, Church St, College St)

What does everyone thing about planting strips in uptown as opposed to hardscape w/ tree wells?

Was going to post about his.  I hate them.  6' sidewalks with 6' planting strips on Caldwell and Brevard, and 8' sidewalk and 8' planting on MLK.  Horribly suburban.  Would much prefer sidewalks to the back of curb with tree wells and planters.

This should be a reuirement in UMUD. 

• Like 2

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article16937729.html

New plan at the Men’s Shelter of Charlotte. It explores the options of people looking to go to the shelter and essentially denies them access if they have other options. They said they've enacted it, and maybe this is the issue we have been seeing with the homeless lately??? It's saving them money and space but then putting these people who COULD help themselves (but don't) back on the streets.

I totally agree about the planting strips in uptown and around town.  I'm a City Planner in Lexington and have issues with them around here myself.  The argument is that they provide a "buffer" between the pedestrian and traffic.  That's understandable in the suburbs and to some extent middle ring suburbs but in more urban areas there is not need for them.  I really hope the City of Charlotte takes a look at this!  In my experience, requiring some sort of hardscape instead of a planting strip can make a world of difference to ones urban perception of a place.   Many places that I have visited, especially out west, have the hardscape treatments in their downtown areas which make them seem much more urban than they really are. 

One other thing i would like to mention.  If the City were to ever amend their ordinance to require hardscaping in Uptown, it would also be nice if they would require granite curbing as well.  While i know many people could care less, it looks 10 times better than any other type of curbing.  Just a preference of mine, not a necessity however.  

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 1

Was going to post about his.  I hate them.  6' sidewalks with 6' planting strips on Caldwell and Brevard, and 8' sidewalk and 8' planting on MLK.  Horribly suburban.  Would much prefer sidewalks to the back of curb with tree wells and planters.

This should be a reuirement in UMUD. 

Yes, bad, bad urban design IMHO. Although many downtown roads have really high speed traffic that needs to be "calmed". Is that the planners thought - keeping people to cross walks? 

I've seen some strange urban planting strips before, but this one in DC definitely took the cake. I could totally see myself stumbling into one of these trenches after a drink or two.... 

r6Fs2sT.jpg?1

If I haven't managed to drunkenly stumble my way into a cold cellar in Brooklyn, You won't fall into this planting strip. Cold Cellar entrances are straight up scary, and there are about 25 on my walk home from the Subway.

I dunno.  I believe this represents a net reduction in its Michigan footprint, and seems sized at 220/sf per employee/contractor, so certainly not taking down room to grow. 

If you notice, the article writer, and building owner referred to it as their HQ, but Jeff Brown was more vague in his wording.

“Like the city of Detroit, Ally is continuing to evolve and build upon a strong heritage,” said Ally Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey J. Brown. “This is an exciting time for our company, and bringing all of our Southeast Michigan-based associates together in one impressive building in the heart of the city sets the stage for our next chapter, which will be rooted in innovation, creativity and a strong and vibrant culture. Detroit is now a city with a lot of vitality, a strong base of talent and an exciting future, thanks in large part to the efforts of Dan Gilbert and Mayor Duggan. We look forward to being a key corporate partner to them and the community.”

Edit:  It looks like they used to occupy 365k feet in the four offices in Michigan, which will now be reduced to 321k.  For comparison, Ally leases 230k sf in Charlotte in 2 offices, and has expanded by 35k in the last year.