Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I guess the homeless issue we have noticed lately is all perception.

Chronic homelessness is down 36%

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article17048828.html

I will probably donate to Urban Ministries and have my company match, let's get this next apartment building built for them!

Edited by Jayvee

Several years ago The Observer did some stories on vagabonds traveling between Florida and norther tier cities. It seems there's a regular migration of homeless folks, and that they pass through the Charlotte area every Spring and Fall. As the article is about "Chronic homelessness", I wonder how many of the aggressive folks are just passing through. Having lived uptown several years, I can attest that many of the homeless people I met and saw were regulars....except during this time period.

Several years ago The Observer did some stories on vagabonds traveling between Florida and norther tier cities. It seems there's a regular migration of homeless folks, and that they pass through the Charlotte area every Spring and Fall. As the article is about "Chronic homelessness", I wonder how many of the aggressive folks are just passing through. Having lived uptown several years, I can attest that many of the homeless people I met and saw were regulars....except during this time period.

Definitely agree there, I feel like the worst is right around now and the early fall. Summer seems to be pretty clear for the most part.

Not a mind-blowing change, but it looks like This lot will become a 50k data Center

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.221769,-80.836689,3a,75y,43.77h,75.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZEfaHsvdIT6yBAe39Z41KA!2e0

The building will act as a expansion of the adjaceent building (also a data center). Its zoned UMUD so it will have Street Level Retail and the urban space around it should be upgraded in some way. Big Plus it will be designed by Little. Not sure what they are going to do about parking... Hopefully deck parking on rear side of the parcel. I also hope they upgrade the building attached.

Edited by Guest

A UMUD was filed today for "Gateway Apartments" and I am not sure we have a thread for projects out here (Gateway, 4th Ward). I assume this is the complex bordered by Sycamore, Irwin, 5th and Trade, but cant click the details yet.

Edit: it is that apartment complex I mentioned above, but it looks like it's only on the plot on the Trade & Irwin side

Edited by Jayvee

Ri-Ra's is painting their exterior the same ugly grey as Sip. Not sure why they are doing this as the black looked fine and stood out. Just another stupid example of the lack of individuality here in Charlotte's bar scene lol.

(On the opposite front, Phil's is now painting their new name "The Local" on the outside. Their exterior looks fantastic.)

Edited by Jayvee

Ri-Ra's is painting their exterior the same ugly grey as Sip. Not sure why they are doing this as the black looked fine and stood out. Just another stupid example of the lack of individuality here in Charlotte's bar scene lol.

(On the opposite front, Phil's is now painting their new name "The Local" on the outside. Their exterior looks fantastic.)

The Local? That's a really stupid name.

@CelebsInCLT: Carolina @Panthers Charles Johnson bought the old firehouse in Uptown and may open a restaurant http://twitter.com/CLTdevelopment/status/584001408309002240/photo/1 (via @CLTdevelopment)

That would be great! My only concern is that this is a great great spot with built in character. Not sure an athlete will take a lot of care and consideration with a concept.

Does anyone know what the hours for Latta Arcade are?  I have noticed that the doors have been open a lot more recently, including a recent weekend when I was there.  It's such a gem and I would love for the doors to stay open all weekend (I am hoping this is a new trend), allowing people to stroll through it from Tryon to Church.  If it were consistently open and active, I could see it filling all of it's vacant units.

• Like 1

Quick google search shows QCBC, LLC is owned by the owner of Valhalla Pub. Hooligans, Vintage.  Quite the collection of restaurants they own in there!  

Yup I asked the guy in Valhalla on a opening and he said he's not sure but late this month or early May.

side note: i passed my 2000th post and didnt even realize lol. cool.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

QCBC is the name of the growler shop (Queen City beer and chili) going in latta arcade. It's actually huge, taking up the 135 slot (where subway used to be) and the 131 slot. The outdoor portion of latta will only have one slot left once this is done!!

The outdoor portion is Brevard Court, not Latta Arcade.

The Brevard Court ground cover really needs an improvement.  It was stamped concrete with a pink tint to mock brick, but had they used brick, the aging of it may have added to the charm.  But as it is, the fading and the cracks just make it seem like a tired out 1980s mall.  

It seems really worth the expense to put in real granite cobblestones.  If they truly can't find money for then, then even re-laying or grinding down the concrete and treating with some acid stain would be better.  

6622567.JPG

It really ought to be more significant of a destination than it is, and that may be the lack of imagination and investment from the current owners.