Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Sounds pretty good, but am I correct that they are getting rid of the pool? That kind of sucks. Not that I've used a indoor hotel pool in the past decade or so.

We can see into that pool from our office. It's not worth keeping, sadly. Not nearly enough eye candy.

• Like 1

I've been told from a friend at Marriott Corporate that Charlotte Marriott was purchased by the parent company and will be upgraded to become the chain standard for Marriott hotels worldwide.  Basically, our hotel will be the equivalent of the model home in a subdivision. My friend also said there is no longer any discussion of converting it to a JW, but that a JW is being discussed for development at a different uptown location.  

I've been told from a friend at Marriott Corporate that Charlotte Marriott was purchased by the parent company and will be upgraded to become the chain standard for Marriott hotels worldwide.  Basically, our hotel will be the equivalent of the model home in a subdivision. My friend also said there is no longer any discussion of converting it to a JW, but that a JW is being discussed for development at a different uptown location.  

Sounds like a great opp for that 1,000 room convention center hotel the city covets... 

^_^  yayyy for another possible project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/11/marriott-purchases-uptown-hotel-plans.html

old news on the first part.....but the second bit about JW....AWESOME

Also, plans were submitted for the Gateway apartments at Irwin and Trade....couldn't have less excitement for this project. lol

Edited by Jayvee

This is probably my favorite thread on UP. I'm pretty excited about both projects - but probably the bottle shop more than anything. I've wanted to see one uptown for a while... though it would be nice if there were another one closer to the rest of 3rd Ward/4th Ward.

This is probably my favorite thread on UP. I'm pretty excited about both projects - but probably the bottle shop more than anything. I've wanted to see one uptown for a while... though it would be nice if there were another one closer to the rest of 3rd Ward/4th Ward.

Probably my favorite too, but I just think the last thing Gateway needs is more apartments.

What bottle shop? 

I find it very odd you cannot buy liquor in all of downtown. 

This ABC crap is so dumb.

I think hes talking about the growler shop in Brevard Court, QCBC. An yes it is SOOOOO annoying to not have a liquor store uptown.

Edited by Jayvee

The bottle shop called QCBC referenced on the previous page as a 'growler' shop. I assume that's the same thing. 

Yeah, its this: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article17824250.html

Edit: Here's some additional info on QCBC. Sounds like it will be a cool place, other than it only being open until 10pm. I certainly hope that changes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/04/10/new-eatery-growler-shop-targets-may-opening-uptown.html

Edited by Jayvee

Now that it's painted, RiRas new paint job doesn't look awful. But it doesn't look good either. Also Phils/The Local has added some new signage and is now officially open as the Local. They upgraded the inside in the sense it isn't a dump anymore. New floors. New tables and chairs. But they are gonna start charging covers which is annoying. I talked to the owner and she said they get pressure from the other bar owners on that corner cause they all charge cover and that they [The Local] is generally the least crowded among them when they didn't charge cover (could have been the crappyness of the venue and stigma attached as opposed to the cover charge). I've ranted about covers before but I just can't stand it. Anyway. I have pics yay.

post-29263-0-66493600-1429036327_thumb.j

post-29263-0-18308700-1429036335_thumb.j

Edited by Jayvee

I say we all go to Lowe's, get some of those spray paint guns and paint all these bland establishments random colors. Agree with go_vertical, not sure why they had to change a perfectly acceptable exterior to something bland and boring. Does everything have to be so "neutral" looking?

I say we all go to Lowe's, get some of those spray paint guns and paint all these bland establishments random colors. Agree with go_vertical, not sure why they had to change a perfectly acceptable exterior to something bland and boring. Does everything have to be so "neutral" looking?

You answered your own question, of course it's gonna be bland and boring. Goes along with the overarching issue of bar owners in this city lacking all vision and creativity.

However, if done well (which I have little faith it will) the 5th street infill project looks pretty awesome. I love that it's basically forcing that dump Connolly's to redo their roof. :rofl:

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/04/investment-firm-to-relocate-from-metropolitan-to.html?page=all

Frontier Capital moving from the Met to the 19th floor of 525 N Tryon. Also, in "losing ground floor retail news":

"Grubb and New York Life plan to condense the currently vacant first-floor restaurant space at 525 North Tryon to accommodate a new fitness center and additional conference space."

I guess that makes the building a bit more marketable, and nothing has ever survived in that spot, and with the abundance of ground floor retail development in the future in this area it may not be missed.

Edited by Jayvee

Wasn't quite sure if this was 3rd ward still, but I will put it here.....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article18750447.html

Co working company buys 227 W. Fourth Street and is gonna renovate the building. Cool! Should go nicely with Ascent to really finalize this area (once Greens lot is taken care of).

I think its only a matter of time now before something (not terrible) moves into that restaurant/bar space next to Green's

Edited by Jayvee

Now that the Ritz has demonstrated Charlotte can not only support a luxury hotel, but there is increased demand for a product of similar type, Marriott or Hilton could bring a luxury brand to the market and compete fairly well if they can find the right parcel. Competitively speaking, the Ritz would still have a much superior location compared to a new hotel in the Whole Foods development. There have been rumors flying around about Hilton looking to expand their hotel or build an additional brand in Uptown beyond Embassy and their newest brand on Levine's land (LOL...good luck).

Now that the Ritz has demonstrated Charlotte can not only support a luxury hotel, but there is increased demand for a product of similar type, Marriott or Hilton could bring a luxury brand to the market and compete fairly well if they can find the right parcel. Competitively speaking, the Ritz would still have a much superior location compared to a new hotel in the Whole Foods development. There have been rumors flying around about Hilton looking to expand their hotel or build an additional brand in Uptown beyond Embassy and their newest brand on Levine's land (LOL...good luck).

I'm betting that Canopy ends up on the Greens Lunch Lot or the Lot behind Trademark. LOL

I'm not positive on this, but I believe the Ritz is more consistently full than any other hotel in uptown, it's without certain the demand is there for more of these types of rooms. That's why I think it's such a shame the Epi hotel is being wasted on lesser brands.

I'm not positive on this, but I believe the Ritz is more consistently full than any other hotel in uptown, it's without certain the demand is there for more of these types of rooms. That's why I think it's such a shame the Epi hotel is being wasted on lesser brands.

I believe you're correct. During the week, you basically can't get into the Ritz between the BofA people and whatever NBA team or performer that's in town. That's where those latter two groups always stay. Weekends can be slim pickings too depending on what's going on in town... My wife and I have tried to get a room on a Saturday night a number of times there when we have a night out and we couldn't get one. Agree on the Epicentre hotel too. While it's nice to see that rusted rebar fall by the way side, it was a missed opportunity for something like a W. There absolutely is a market for another luxury uptown hotel. Hope that JW Marriott does come to fruition. I'd love to see a near replica of the Austin JW planted somewhere :)

Edited by wend28

If I remember correctly, BoA was involved in the development of the Ritz property. Rules prohibit banks from actively developing non-bank real estate projects so they worked aroud this by guaranteeing 50% of the rooms would be taken by BoA personel/staff/visitors thus they were "pre-paying' for their future rooms by arranging the Ritz. This leaves just half of the hotel for the rest of us and all other demand. Maybe less than half.