Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I loveeee the way those buildings look. I also loved the 100 flood First Union look. I wish we could combined 80's corporate look with today's acknowledgement that buildings need to be pedestrian friendly at the ground level.

BoA Plaza ages really, really gracefully. It still looks very modern in an elegant way.

8-10 floors, 200-250 units.

Other one will be 8-10 floors, 150 units, likely a Suites hotel.

Overall they are very small hotels. But they will be two new brands to Uptown, likely new brands to the City, as a whole, from what I am hearing. I do wish someone would just take a chance and throw up a 1000 room JW Marriott. I'm not going to lie, spaces near the convention center are going to be gone soon.

"I'm not going to lie....."

Is that a subtle hint?

Two big projects a 1,000 room hotel could go... Directly infront of the convention center is a huge block. And Lincoln Harris CO site. Both are perfect and large to make a very nice 1,000 room hotel. A 1,000 room hotel near Lincoln Harris might help us land more sports events to.

"I'm not going to lie....."

Is that a subtle hint?

Two big projects a 1,000 room hotel could go... Directly infront of the convention center is a huge block. And Lincoln Harris CO site. Both are perfect and large to make a very nice 1,000 room hotel. A 1,000 room hotel near Lincoln Harris might help us land more sports events to.

You know what a 1000 room hotel would only want a Tryon address, so the space adjacent to Harvey Gantt center would be perfect.

Did rail lines used to run through there? If not, why would they ever own land in that part of Uptown?

Umm...

I think Norfolk Southern owns the land between 3rd - 4th - Brevard - and the rail line.  Now is surface parking lot, Future a 1,000 room hotel?

This borders the light rail line, which was a very actively used freight line until the 1960s and then lightly used for a few decades hence. I think this used to be a freight terminal or something. Actually half of that lot is owned by Norfolk Southern and half is owned by North Carolina Railroad. In 2012, the NC Legislature directed NCRR to sell off their half. It hasn't happened yet but I have to imagine it will happen pretty soon.

Umm...

This borders the light rail line, which was a very actively used freight line until the 1960s and then lightly used for a few decades hence. I think this used to be a freight terminal or something. Actually half of that lot is owned by Norfolk Southern and half is owned by North Carolina Railroad. In 2012, the NC Legislature directed NCRR to sell off their half. It hasn't happened yet but I have to imagine it will happen pretty soon.

Never knew rail lines ran through that part of Uptown. I knew the light rail line followed rail ROW in some areas, but didn't know it did in SouthEnd and Uptown. Thought that started farther down. 

That parcel, along with the transit center parcel was the interchange yard between the NCRR (that was its end point) and the predecessor of the Southern RR (niw Norfolk Southern) line that ran to Columbia (and ultimately to Charleston). This interchange yard, even more than gold, was the thing that created modern Charlotte.

The interchange yard was moved to N Tryon when Southern rebuilt its line just to the west (through what is now Gateway).

As Orluz said, the NCRR has been told by the legislature to sell this parcel (among others). I am surprised that they have not moved more quickly to do that.

• Like 2

Those rail lines in the paved parking lot are visible from the light rail line as the train pulls away North from 3d street station, if there are few cars in that lot. In other words on weekends. One or two rail  lines still show just above the pavement. 4th and also Trade were originally at rail grade and in the 20th century with motor vehicles the streets were put under the rail lines to eliminate grade crossings there. That is a great map toz

You know what a 1000 room hotel would only want a Tryon address, so the space adjacent to Harvey Gantt center would be perfect.

It would be beyond perfect. On tryon, in the middle of crescent projects, convention centers, office including Duke & Wells Fargo as major employers, near stadiums & Romare.

Though I haven't heard any of you guys mention this block as being in play

I'm meeting with the people who are building out the old Ricah Graphics space on N Tryon. Anyone have any questions they want me to ask? Here's the basic gist:  

Going to do a gastro pub. All locally sourced items for the menu. 30-40 craft beers on tap. All cocktails will be handcrafted. Fresh squeezed orange juice. A lot of infused drinks and even some of our own barrel aged liquors.

I'm meeting with the people who are building out the old Ricah Graphics space on N Tryon. Anyone have any questions they want me to ask? Here's the basic gist:  

Going to do a gastro pub. All locally sourced items for the menu. 30-40 craft beers on tap. All cocktails will be handcrafted. Fresh squeezed orange juice. A lot of infused drinks and even some of our own barrel aged liquors.

Sounds awesome! My only question (and I'm not sure how to ask this nicely) is how/if they plan on maintaining a gastropub atmosphere on weekend nights vs. flipping to a club vibe like most other places nearby. Dandelion comes to mind as a place and concept I love, but one that still caves a bit to the uptown "scene" after 8:00 or so Thurs-Sat. Being sandwiched between Prohibition/Sip and Ri-Ra makes it seem like this may be difficult but I'd love for them to lead the way.

Edited by nonillogical

This is fantastic news. With Duckworths & Rock Bottom nearby maybe this area will start to create an interesting craft drink district.

• Like 1