Bay City, MI (Part 1)

wolverine

This was my second attempt at taking photos. Last time there was so many cars and people that I couldn't get good photos downtown. So I tried again Memorial day. Since all the stores were closed, there was hardly anyone downtown. So let's begin!

PART 1. Bay City's West Side

Some of the city's oldest buildings are located on this side of town. In part two, the downtown section (East Side) of the city will be explored.

baycity01.jpg

Looking down Columbus Street.

More historic buildings.

baycity02.jpg

bay03.jpg

baycity04.jpg

baycity05.jpg

A local theatre showed the Pistons game that I saw live in person last Tuesday!

baycity06.jpg

The Midland Street Pub. The sign that says "Don't feed Andrew Z" is to discourage businesses from feeding this local radio broadcaster so he can lose weight.

baycity07.jpg

baycity08.jpg

baycity09.jpg

The Big House Sports Bar

baycity10.jpg

The West Side Marina. The skyline in the background is Bay City's East Side. This part of town will be explored in part II

baycity11.jpg

A new loft development in a formerly abandoned warehouse

baycity12.jpg

The new hotel and conference center

baycity13.jpg

One of Bay City's four lifting bridges

baycity14.jpg

Hereford and Hopps

baycity15.jpg

Now to cross the river to go onto part II, which will be posted soon!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics! Bay City seems to be a charming, historic city. The sad thing is that I've never been there in all the years I've lived in Michigan. It's only an hour away. I really need to get out and explore the smaller Michigan cities one of these days. I'm looking forward to part two!

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part yes, although Midland is similar in some parts. Many people go to Bay City just to have dinner or browse through stores. The city also has popular events that attract people from across Mid-Michigan. Recently, it was announced that Bay City would be hosting a minor league baseball team and that there are plans being discussed for a downtown stadium. If this happens, I'm sure the city will take off with more business coming to the downtown area.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for taking and posting these great pics of my hometown. And yes, the city really is as beautiful as it looks!

One thing you need to photograph on your next visit though, and that would be Center Avenue heading east from downtown. It has a one mile stretch of some of the most beautiful, historic mansions in all of Michigan. These were the homes built by the lumberjacks in the 1800's, and all of them have been kept in great shape since that time. It is a must see area for anyone coming in to town on a visit.

BTW, are you the same wolverine that is a member of SimTropolis?

Yes, I am wolverine at ST, JasonW :D I am THE Wolverine of the internet. I have been trying to take pictures of center avenue. I plan to park on a side street and take as many pictures as I can of the houses. I went to the Bay City fireworks this past holiday and tried to get a few as I was driving by. They didn't turn out like I hoped. So I will try a second time soon! I will also make time to post some pictures of the Bay City fireworks in either the part I or part II post. Whichever has the least pictures.

It's nice to see some Mid-Michiganders around here!

Speaking of SimCity 4, I recently purchased it and tried to sign up at simcity.com to download stuff. Turns out my ISP has a spam protection program and blocks all email from them. I signed up /w my ID and the email didn't come, therefore i couldn't verify the account and can't log in.

So my perfectly legitimate serial number is screwed and i can't access anything. I'm highly frustrated, on top of that i can't find a usable phone number or email address to solve this?!?

Anyone have an idea of what to do? (sorry for going off topic)

Hmmm, are you sure its your anti-spam program? I bet EA didn't even send the email!! There has been a lot of discussion about this at Simtropolis. Turns out EA is toward the top in worst online customer service. Continuously send them email asking for your CN number, and eventually they will get around to it.

I had a horrible time with this. Finally, I called up the company and asked them to set it up for me.

Archived