McCain Mall

What will 2009 have in store for the McCain area? An article in Forbes.com says that Sears-Kmart will not be business at the end of the year. If this happens then the mall's future doesn't look very bright, not that it looks to good right now.

Having two empty department stores would be a major blow to that mall. Especially since they're on the same end, it would really decrease traffic to that whole end of the mall. Of course, if Sears/K-Mart goes under, McCain won't be the only mall hit with one more headache.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having two empty department stores would be a major blow to that mall. Especially since they're on the same end, it would really decrease traffic to that whole end of the mall. Of course, if Sears/K-Mart goes under, McCain won't be the only mall hit with one more headache.

Agreed, boy would that be a mess. Lots of malls are getting pretty frequent vacancies, even ones that are more successful. The freestanding Sears in LR would be an easy conversion, maybe to a Target.

Sears really screwed up by buying KMart. It's a dying company and it may drag Sears down with it.

Agreed, boy would that be a mess. Lots of malls are getting pretty frequent vacancies, even ones that are more successful. The freestanding Sears in LR would be an easy conversion, maybe to a Target.

Sears really screwed up by buying KMart. It's a dying company and it may drag Sears down with it.

Didn't K-Mart buy Sears?

• 2 years later...

I was browsing the pluming permits and there was a $500.00 one for an interior upgrade at McCain. Could this be the long awaited upgraded the mall has so desperately needed for years?

I really (really) hope that's the case, but it seems like they would have advertised an impending remodel/renovation pretty if it was going to be of any significance. I guess we'll see though. (It makes absolutely no sense to me that Simon hasn't put some significant money into modernizing/freshening McCain's outdated image since they're down to one mall in the region and Park Plaza and the Promenade are significantly more upscale in style. If they want to attract a new, worthwhile anchor and ensure the mall will remain competitive in the next decade, it seems like they really should do that.)

Maybe they are prepping for some sort of announcement like a new anchor like Macys, etc.

I don't know about that yet, but I can confirm that there will be a significant announcement shortly regarding the work at McCain. I'm excited by this development and hope this will help put McCain back where it belongs in the minds of shoppers as a top shopping destination in central Arkansas (instead of being the "bad mall" in the area).

I don't know about that yet, but I can confirm that there will be a significant announcement shortly regarding the work at McCain. I'm excited by this development and hope this will help put McCain back where it belongs in the minds of shoppers as a top shopping destination in central Arkansas (instead of being the "bad mall" in the area).

Is there anything else you can tell us?

Im so Excited to hear about McCain getting revamped. All I can say is ABOUT TIME! Curretnly, McCain Mall's reputation is in the gutter. You never hear of any reason to go to McCain Mall. Lets see what Simon can pull off.

It has to be really impressive, or it ends up being just a band aid on a sinking ship.

Is there anything else you can tell us?

Im so Excited to hear about McCain getting revamped. All I can say is ABOUT TIME! Curretnly, McCain Mall's reputation is in the gutter. You never hear of any reason to go to McCain Mall. Lets see what Simon can pull off.

It has to be really impressive, or it ends up being just a band aid on a sinking ship.

Nothing else until the official announcement, sorry. For what it's worth, the announcement shouldn't be far off and I believe you'll start seeing some of our friends in the local business media go digging for that information soon too.

I agree that McCain's reputation has suffered in recent years with the renovation of Park Plaza and the construction of the Promenade, and I believe the manager at McCain is aware of the image issue the mall currently has and is doing everything in his power to help turn that around. Simon's reputation in the Little Rock area as a whole is in the gutter after the University Mall/Summit Mall debacle and I would certainly hope that those in charge at the company are aware that there are rumblings here that they ran University into the ground and are now beginning to do the same thing with McCain, and I can't imagine their history in central Arkansas helps them when it comes to leasing either. I know it has to make life difficult for the local management, and I hope that the corporate management is about to do their part to once again give people in this area some faith in Simon.

You guys sure called it. The other day, I read yesterday in Arkansas Business that McCain Mall purchased the land beneath the former M.M. Cohn store. Today, I get an e-mail from the marketing director that they are having an "exciting announcement" soon, along with an attachment showing an attractive, modern renovated face of McCain Mall. How exciting, and what great news for North Little Rock!

190234_513147147702_86100407_30411676_7256124_n.jpg

You guys sure called it. The other day, I read yesterday in Arkansas Business that McCain Mall purchased the land beneath the former M.M. Cohn store. Today, I get an e-mail from the marketing director that they are having an "exciting announcement" soon, along with an attachment showing an attractive, modern renovated face of McCain Mall. How exciting, and what great news for North Little Rock!

190234_513147147702_86100407_30411676_7256124_n.jpg

Hmmm...well, hopefully the end product comes across more exciting than the rendering. The real success will be in elevating this to the level that would attract former, baseline tenants, such as GAP, etc. It will be all for naught if they're not successful in that regard.

p.s. It would be nice to see a "new" department store anchor, such as Macy's.

They finally decide to do a much needed renovation to McCain Mall. It would be nice if they demolish the former MM Cohn space and expand the mall from the north side with a new wing fill with upscale stores and restaurants and add an anchor for this wing (Macy*s). I do believe there is enough land, especially to the north of the mall, for this to happen. The renovation needs to be attractive to include stores like white house/black market, bebe, and urban outfitters and restaurants such as the PF Chang's (though they have a location on Shackleford Rd. in W. Little Rock) and The Cheesecake Factory.

Hmmm...well, hopefully the end product comes across more exciting than the rendering. The real success will be in elevating this to the level that would attract former, baseline tenants, such as GAP, etc. It will be all for naught if they're not successful in that regard.

p.s. It would be nice to see a "new" department store anchor, such as Macy's.

McCain Mall Renovation Plans

I found these, but I don't have time to pour over them to see if there's anything interesting. I did see in passing that they will be filling in much of the huge floor openings in the east wing of the mall. They'll also add an elevator, remove the stairway, and replace the escalator. Didn't find anything about plans for M.M. Cohn, but they could be in there.

It shows the project is valued at only $5.5M. I think Park Plaza spent upwards of $20M, and it shamed McCain BEFORE its own renovation. This reads as a band-aid at best.

They did. I don't know that Park Plaza shamed McCain before the renovation (at least not in facilities), but the gap is certainly wide now. My thoughts on the subject remain the same- it shouldn't take much to refresh (admittedly, not a full to the bones renovation) McCain's overall facility and redo the highest-impact areas (It could be done with $5.5 million anyway :thumbsup:, but it wouldn't be easy) and I think we'll all be happier with the finished product of this project than we are with the mall currently. It doesn't hurt to let Simon corporate know what you think though, and express appreciation that they're putting some money back into it, maybe that will help keep this property a little more front and center in their minds in the future.

They did. I don't know that Park Plaza shamed McCain before the renovation (at least not in facilities), but the gap is certainly wide now. My thoughts on the subject remain the same- it shouldn't take much to refresh (admittedly, not a full to the bones renovation) McCain's overall facility and redo the highest-impact areas (It could be done with $5.5 million anyway :thumbsup:, but it wouldn't be easy) and I think we'll all be happier with the finished product of this project than we are with the mall currently. It doesn't hurt to let Simon corporate know what you think though, and express appreciation that they're putting some money back into it, maybe that will help keep this property a little more front and center in their minds in the future.

I would reiterate that it shamed it beforehand. Granted, it was 15 years newer.

I have a hard time believing that they will only spend $5.5 million. Just a new elevator and escalators will be $300,000–500,000. (We just got quotes for our building on escalators and elevators.) They are expensive. Anything done will be better than what is there now.

I think they need to spend more than 5.5 million on this remodel and redo of McCain Mall, its the only mall on that side of the city and its a pretty major area for North Little Rock. Personally I think the design of McCain Mall combined with the lack of interest of Simon's to do much with it really hurt this mall. It is nice to see them finally doing some updates on the place but to really help it out it will need some real modern updates, as well as fixing the parking lot for once, there are many areas of the parking lot that are falling apart. Even the redo of the parking lot on the Sears side is not holding up that well. It would be nice if they would maybe remodel where the old M.M. Cohn store was, this could be turned into a small wing and used for a few stores and maybe even a new food court.

-RaVen

I think they need to spend more than 5.5 million on this remodel and redo of McCain Mall, its the only mall on that side of the city and its a pretty major area for North Little Rock. Personally I think the design of McCain Mall combined with the lack of interest of Simon's to do much with it really hurt this mall. It is nice to see them finally doing some updates on the place but to really help it out it will need some real modern updates, as well as fixing the parking lot for once, there are many areas of the parking lot that are falling apart. Even the redo of the parking lot on the Sears side is not holding up that well. It would be nice if they would maybe remodel where the old M.M. Cohn store was, this could be turned into a small wing and used for a few stores and maybe even a new food court.

-RaVen

I like the idea of a food court. I'm totally in agreement with the need for remodeling but McCain Mall is always busy. It's condition has not really stopped people from shopping there (IMHO).

Announced today plans for the M. M. Cohn's space. Regal Cinemas Movie Theatre will be locating a 12 auditorium theatre complex at the location.

Article from Arkansas Business

The MM Cohn portion reborn as a theater wing — complete with 3-D capability and stadium seating — is a fairly smart move for now. Movies in North Little Rock really haven't been the same since Carmike was shuttered and then made way for Barnes & Noble, and this will help fill a void.

Article from Arkansas Business

The MM Cohn portion reborn as a theater wing — complete with 3-D capability and stadium seating — is a fairly smart move for now. Movies in North Little Rock really haven't been the same since Carmike was shuttered and then made way for Barnes & Noble, and this will help fill a void.

I'll be impressed if the interior and exterior work can be done for $5.5 million (not including the theater of course), but the renderings and details being offered so far seem promising. Entrance facades, lighting, tile/carpet, and seating are currently the things in the mall that make it seem so dated to me, and this remodel/renovation is going to hit all those high-impact visual points as well as a few others. The timeline for this work is very short and going to overlap with the back-to-school shopping season (which may not be ideal for some tenants, but should put it's grand re-opening right at the kickoff of the biggest Christmas shopping season), but I look forward to seeing how things come together in November.

The movie theater addition is an interesting choice considering that mall theaters are dying off elsewhere (though I'd argue that is mostly due to the outdated nature of those theaters, not the location), but I hope it works out for them. 12 screens is a good sized theater and should be the only "nice" theater in North Little Rock following completion. Although I've always said that Little Rock has plenty of movie theaters overall (and I don't see this addition really affecting any of the other L.R. theaters due to distance), I'm sure the residents of North Little Rock will appreciate having a nicer theater than the Lakewood available to see current movies at. That said, I can't imagine the Lakewood theater is too thrilled about this.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that McCain Mall/Simon finished the purchase of the old M.M. Cohn space improvements/lease interest recently. Price tag- $1.85 million. It mentioned the lease-hold rights covered 4.28 acres, which is larger than the footprint of the store by a decent margin, I hadn't realized another company was still holding those rights and they extended beyond the actual space (for potential expansion, I suppose?). I bet they're hoping this movie theater works out...