McCain Mall

Nearly three years after the last post in this thread, McCain Mall seems to be gaining momentum — especially where restaurants are concerned.  Along with Mr. Duinderbak's that opened on the mall's lower level after the picture in post #73, Taziki's is on the cusp of their grand opening on the upper level on September 23, with BJ's Brewhouse in the works for an outparcel by next year.  Now comes word that Bar Louie will also be joining the ranks in 2015.

http://www.thv11.com/story/news/local/north-little-rock/2014/09/16/bar-louie-to-open-at-mccain-mall/15727095/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is this in the mall? As in the old Luby's or another outparcel?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about whether Bar Louie would assume the former Luby's space.  It's not a bad fit, potentially.

As for the lack of a Gap store, while it would be nice to see them back in the mix, it would be more perplexing if Gap Inc.'s Old Navy didn't have a presence in McCain Mall.  ON's target demographics and price points jive better with the average shopper in that mall, since McCain's appeal is generally broader than at Little Rock's Park Plaza.  And the McCain Old Navy store takes up a nice chunk of real estate for a non-anchor.

After noticing in the Simon press release on Bar Louie that this will be 6,000 SF (not including an outdoor patio), it pretty much sounds like the old Luby's space.  And filling that void has to be a relief for mall management. Maybe for the neighboring Dillard's and JCPenney, too.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about whether Bar Louie would assume the former Luby's space. It's not a bad fit, potentially.

As for the lack of a Gap store, while it would be nice to see them back in the mix, it would be more perplexing if Gap Inc.'s Old Navy didn't have a presence in McCain Mall. ON's target demographics and price points jive better with the average shopper in that mall, since McCain's appeal is generally broader than at Little Rock's Park Plaza. And the McCain Old Navy store takes up a nice chunk of real estate for a non-anchor.

It's nice to see an increase in activity at the mall. Hopefully, they will expand the mall with a new wing of stores/restaurants and add a Cheesecake Factory restaurant on the out parcel.

I'm curious about whether Bar Louie would assume the former Luby's space. It's not a bad fit, potentially.

As for the lack of a Gap store, while it would be nice to see them back in the mix, it would be more perplexing if Gap Inc.'s Old Navy didn't have a presence in McCain Mall. ON's target demographics and price points jive better with the average shopper in that mall, since McCain's appeal is generally broader than at Little Rock's Park Plaza. And the McCain Old Navy store takes up a nice chunk of real estate for a non-anchor.

It's nice to see an increase in activity at the mall. Hopefully, they will expand the mall with a new wing of stores/restaurants and add a Cheesecake Factory restaurant on the out parcel.

I don't see McCain expanding with a new wing. What I do see is within a few years Sears closing down and then Macy's would have an excellent place to locate.

• 1 month later...

I don't see McCain expanding with a new wing. What I do see is within a few years Sears closing down and then Macy's would have an excellent place to locate.

I agree.  Little Rock is overdue for a competitor to Dillard's.

If not Macy's, maybe Von Maur or a second Belk location.  Personally I think Von Maur would be better suited for Promenade at Chenal but it could happen at McCain Mall.

Von Maur recently opened at Quail Springs Mall in OKC.  Quail Springs Mall is much like McCain mall.  It's the city's "second" mall and its not yet dying or struggling but there are definite warning signs.  Von Maur coming in should ensure the Mall's survival.

• 2 weeks later...

Von Maur would've been a terrific replacement for MM Cohn at McCain Mall, when there was still that need, though it would've required some building out (and perhaps up) from the existing structure.  Same for Macy's or Belk.  It's hard to say where such a store could currently be worked in now at the mall.  But of the three, I think North Little Rock could most easily support a single-story Belk, if the right site opened up.

If Sears does go out, the main store would probably be more likely to be repurposed as a Macy's.  I can't see Belk inhabiting a larger store north of the river than they do in Little Rock.  And as Von Maur skews more upscale, it make more sense in Little Rock, but the right kind of development in Maumelle could lure it — pulling customers from the wealthier parts of Little Rock, Conway and North Little Rock.

The Sears auto center would be less certain, but the property could be reworked into a row of shops, or even a couple of restaurants.

I highly doubt Bar Louie will be coming to one of the exterior locations from McCain Mall, such as the FireStone location.  I just don't think they would put a Bar Louie right next to the new BJ's Brewhouse that they are about to build.  The original prediction of a Bar Louie in the old Luby's location seems much more realistic.

In other news, Chuy's is moving right along.  I bet it will be finished in Q1 of next year.  

Also, near the new L.A. Fitness, it looks like they are building a hotel of some sort.

Edited by lighthouse

I highly doubt Bar Louie will be coming to one of the exterior locations from McCain Mall, such as the FireStone location.  I just don't think they would put a Bar Louie right next to the new BJ's Brewhouse that they are about to build.  The original prediction of a Bar Louie in the old Luby's location seems much more realistic.

In other news, Chuy's is moving right along.  I bet it will be finished in Q1 of next year.  

Also, near the new L.A. Fitness, it looks like they are building a hotel of some sort.

Bar Louie will be inside on the lower level near Dillard's (the old Luby's/cinema space).  Opening is scheduled for 3/1/15.  Will be 6000sqft with seating for 400 and an outdoor patio. 

• 5 months later...

Bar Louie opened 5/4/15. I ate there last night. It has a nice open floor plan with a lot of tvs and a good size patio. Tuesday is $5 burger night apparently. They were good. I probably wouldn't pay the $12 normal price but they were still good. Signage is pretty lacking. Not sure people would know it's back there unless you drive by it.

Bar Louie opened 5/4/15. I ate there last night. It has a nice open floor plan with a lot of tvs and a good size patio. Tuesday is $5 burger night apparently. They were good. I probably wouldn't pay the $12 normal price but they were still good. Signage is pretty lacking. Not sure people would know it's back there unless you drive by it.

That's a pretty big, reputable franchise with very nice locations.  I ate at one in Huntsville, AL...in a center which, by the way, is nicer than ANY of the five or six cannibalistic lifestyle centers that have opened here in the past 10 years.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...