Bridgestone Tech Center may move to Nashville

smeagolsfree

Bridgestone may be moving their tech center from Akron to Nashville according to the Tennessean today. They are considering sites in Nashville and Murfreesboro. There would be about 600 relatively high paying jobs. They are considering replacing or renovating the center in Akron but 400 jobs would remain.

The article said they are looking for incentives from two states but it didn't say what the other state would be. I assume Ohio since they are already there.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/802010379

On a bad note Whirlpool is closing a plant in La Vergne with a loss of 500 jobs.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/802010377

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The news of Bridgestone potentially relocating 600 jobs here is great, but the Whirlpool news is really sad report for LaVergne. Those were good jobs for the city and its tough that production is being shifted to Arkansas, but I guess there may be some solice for those laid off that the remianing jobs are going to remian in the US and aren't being outsourced overseas.

A company spokesman is quoted as saying the Lavergne jobs will not be transferred to Arkansas.

Was the spokesman saying no transfers or no increased employment in Arkansas? I would assume the Arkansas plant would have to at least some new hires, or call-backs if they have laid off recently, to be able to run the new production lines, no? I suppose now that I think about it if they are seeing reduced demand across the board they might cut down production on existing lines in that plant and move those workers, and/or specific shifts, to the new lines.

Hey as long as they don't lay off my dad, who works at the Bridgestone Plant. He's worked there for 18 years, and has seniority. Lord knows we dont need another B/F strike, and those were fun back when I was a kid, wavin the flag for a raise and all, in 95 degrees temps, loved it. It only makes sense, afterall, their North American HQ is over by the airport, right off Elm Hill Pike @ Briley Parkway. You can't miss their building, its a beautiful glass building, really cool watchin it get built a few years back.

Goodyear took the lead in negotions and thus the strike in the last round of negotiations in 06-07, I'm nore sure which company will take the lead with negotiating with the unions when the contracts comes up next year. One would hope having the NA HQ for Bridgestone, and possibly landing these tech center jobs, might help keep the Nashville plant off any potential shut-down list; but that's far from certian when it comes to manufacturing now a days.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as if the Boro is on Bridgestone's short list according to the NBJ.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...18/story10.html

I would love for it to be in Davidson County but would not be too upset if it goes to Rutherford. We still have to look at Middle TN as one huge economic area. Whats good for one in most cases is good for all. It adds to the strength of the entire area.

Looks as if the Boro is on Bridgestone's short list according to the NBJ.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...18/story10.html

I would love for it to be in Davidson County but would not be too upset if it goes to Rutherford. We still have to look at Middle TN as one huge economic area. Whats good for one in most cases is good for all. It adds to the strength of the entire area.

I agree...I live in Smyrna and own a home here. I also work in Nashville and own a business there. I also own land in Franklin. Personally...I want the midstate to prosper whether it's Nashville, Smyrna, Franklin, HVille...wherever. It does us all good.

Any word on the possible relocation of Bridgestone? I saw a lot of Bridgestone advertisements during the superbowl, and would love to say they are based in Nashville; as I do whenever I see a Nissan ad.

I believe you can already say that regarding Bridgestone... at least as far as North America goes. The NA HQ is over off of Elm Hill Pike.

Any word on the possible relocation of Bridgestone? I saw a lot of Bridgestone advertisements during the superbowl, and would love to say they are based in Nashville; as I do whenever I see a Nissan ad.

Their NA headquarters has been here much longer than Nissan's. Now, if you are talking about them moving there worldwide HQ here, that will never happen.

• 5 months later...

Just in case anyone missed this, the new Tech center will be in Akron and not Murfreesboro. The decision was made this week or last, cant remember.

Akron? Ok.

Well that stinks but it's business. I suppose the taxpayers up there forked over more for incentives. Good for them, but don't they already have something in Akron?? :dontknow:

Akron? Ok.

Well that stinks but it's business. I suppose the taxpayers up there forked over more for incentives. Good for them, but don't they already have something in Akron?? :dontknow:

Isn't Akron where the center is currently located? I was thinking the options were re-build there, or move to Murf.

• 2 years later...

Archived