Ghent Station Development

gosscj

Unfortunately, this project has been canceled. :(

That's sad...it woudl've been a catalyst for development for the west part of 21st street. I was going to house an office building and a Fresh Market...which is awesome. I been to the one in Newport News and it is great. Also anytype of redevelopment in that area of 21 street woudl've been beneficial to the area...as well as the people of Ghent, ODU, etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An urban format Trader Joes or Whole Foods would fit in that area quite well. Does the city still own the land or does it belong to a developer that will never use it?

The site, which includes 3.6 acres of city property and another 1.3 acres of land Cooper acquired from adjacent landowners, was once home of the Cousteau Society headquarters. It is now the site of three aging city-owned, and mostly unoccupied, buildings.

Not really a large lot...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/builder-pl...l-complex-ghent

An urban format Trader Joes or Whole Foods would fit in that area quite well. Does the city still own the land or does it belong to a developer that will never use it?

I agree....the intended Fresh Market is a great store but Trader Joe's would've been great as well...plus Trader Joe's is affordable in most cases. Also, making it a mixed use area with office buildings, parking garages, and other retail would've set it off. Maybe a small hotel like the SpringHill Suites Marriott on Hampton Blvd. could've fit there depending if there is enough space. All this could've merged well with the Walgreen's and given the street more variety because the three pharmacies are too much...and merged with the Taphouse Grill and helped the Taphouse Grill secure more business.

I agree....the intended Fresh Market is a great store but Trader Joe's would've been great as well...plus Trader Joe's is affordable in most cases. Also, making it a mixed use area with office buildings, parking garages, and other retail would've set it off. Maybe a small hotel like the SpringHill Suites Marriott on Hampton Blvd. could've fit there depending if there is enough space. All this could've merged well with the Walgreen's and given the street more variety because the three pharmacies are too much...and merged with the Taphouse Grill and helped the Taphouse Grill secure more business.

I am surprised that the two Rite Aides stay in business being so close to each other. I wish one would close because they are about the exact same size as a Trader Joe's. But maybe this lot will attract something interesting. Seems like there is a lot of open commercial space along 21st, maybe they could put up some apartments to increase population in Ghent.

Seems like there is a lot of open commercial space along 21st, maybe they could put up some apartments to increase population in Ghent.

Ghent is the most densely populated neighborhood in Hampton Roads. 7,818 persons/sq. mile.

But guess that doesn't create enough demand for more retail. But I also doubt that there's any demand for more apartments, especially since the enormous 201 twenty one complex just opened.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived