Ford Museum grounds question

GrSportsGuy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree and have thought so for years. Imagine how cool something like the Gheary amphitheater in Chicago's Millenium Park would look there. I realize that there are issues with flooding but I'm sure they could be worked out. It would be a perfect spot for concerts all summer long, not just twice a year. Also, that pedestrian bridge could use a makeover.

I agree and have thought so for years. Imagine how cool something like the Gheary amphitheater in Chicago's Millenium Park would look there. I realize that there are issues with flooding but I'm sure they could be worked out. It would be a perfect spot for concerts all summer long, not just twice a year. Also, that pedestrian bridge could use a makeover.

I think a bandshell was intended for the park but it never materialized. I agree that something permanent would be great as the park is under-utilized in the summer (it all goes back to the topic of GR turning its back on the river instead of embracing it). The type of gear they bring in for Celebration on the Grand has to be expensive, and isn't something you could do for regular events during the summer.

I always thought that a concert series like the Meijer Gardens does, or Picnic with the Pops would be great downtown on the river (of course, Meijer Gardens has a beautiful, permanent structure so I don't think it's worthwhile to duplicate efforts).

Joe

I think the amphitheater at the Ford Museum and in front of the AGP both need work. They're both tired and old looking. It would be cool if something could be built to incorporate a theme that ran between the two amphitheaters and was linked by a complete redesign/rebuild of the pedestrian bridge.

2243762259_cc429b2f56_o.jpg

Question is: who pays for it? I think it would be a fantastic addition to downtown, and that area is definitely the "front door" for downtown when visitors come in along Pearl. Also, a breathtaking design would be visible from the convention center, the Ford Museum, the Public Museum, the AGP and the JW, all five of which are destinations for of out-of-town visitors year-round. Anyone have any funding ideas? I could pass along any ideas people have.

What about adding some architectural flair, like the new amphitheater in downtown Des Moines?

562034960_d907635d5b.jpg

Mixed with the Humber River Bridge from Toronto:

IMG_3769.jpg

Maybe if it were billed as an enhancement of the riverwalk trail, and helped connect the Kent Trails system, maybe Fred Meijer would kick in some funding?

What about adding some architectural flair, like the new amphitheater in downtown Des Moines?

Mixed with the Humber River Bridge from Toronto:

IMG_3769.jpg

Maybe if it were billed as an enhancement of the riverwalk trail, and helped connect the Kent Trails system, maybe Fred Meijer would kick in some funding?

I like that because it doesn't block the view like a more traditional band shell and it looks kind of cool. It also looks like it would be relatively low maintenance and more flood proof.

I also like the suspension bridge that was in those "River Grand" renderings you posted awhile ago:

404787575_a2bc24c86b_o.jpg

It's sort of in the style (suspension, curved) of the new pedestrian suspension bridge that Omaha is building over the Missouri River, which is obviously on a whole other scale:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Missouri...ian-t41083.html

A flickr search for "pedestrian bridge" also gives some idea of what can be found in other cities:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=pedestrian+bridge

Well, to get a little back on track, it seems to me it would obviously have to be designed to withstand flooding/ice jams. The little brick-raised platform gets submerged occasionally right? Is it even submerged right now with that ice jam going on? If so, it would seem they'd have to move it higher on the bank and that might reduce the amount of spectators that can watch the shows. I am all for a redo, but the water conditions and space might pose a problem.

Well, to get a little back on track, it seems to me it would obviously have to be designed to withstand flooding/ice jams. The little brick-raised platform gets submerged occasionally right? Is it even submerged right now with that ice jam going on? If so, it would seem they'd have to move it higher on the bank and that might reduce the amount of spectators that can watch the shows. I am all for a redo, but the water conditions and space might pose a problem.

Wait, who was going off-track? :) I'm just thinking that the amphitheater should be part of a bigger riverfront improvement project. Maybe not.

But yes, the entire amphitheater area is under water right now. I would think that any permanent structure would have to be elevated to avoid any damage every year.

2245019308_135a5bc41d_b.jpg

2245021150_f00427eb36_b.jpg

Ducks enjoying the new pond:

2245020302_820750332e_b.jpg

Me fleeing the ducks as they attack!

2245021778_33be58986e_b.jpg

I think your photos here illustrate why this ampitheater is the way that it is. It seems to me that any sort of permanent structure would require MAJOR investment in earth moving and levy/wall building, besides just the ampitheater. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not as easy as just building it. Perhaps some sort of modular, seasonal thing would be better. Something that could be removed seasonally, but is more permanent than a trailer stage.

And "When Ducks Attack" sounds like a great idea for a TV show. :)

No, I think Rizzo is saying that the floodwalls were built around that time, after the great flood that GR had back then. I wouldn't want to see floodwalls on the West bank though. I think of the earth was just raised, an amphitheater stage base could be built that would stay dry. It wouldn't matter if the grassy seating area flooded over.

I think some sort of revitalization of the park is due, but I fear we are going to wait until a private donor steps up to help upgrade the park and facilities. There will be some challenges balancing between the Museum/burial site and the environmental concerns of the river to improve the site.

Archived