Farish Street

tombarnes

Farish Street Redevelopment Plans

Frank Melton says that he may replace the development company in charge of the Farish Street redevelopment project if progress is not evident soon. I have grown weary of Mr. Melton's tactics, but this may be one case where such an approach is needed. The project has not moved according to plan- ever. What worries me most about this is that many of the businesses planned for the area- Wet Willie's, for example, are designed for high-volume tourist areas and may not be appropriate for this project. it will be interesting to see whather or not this ever gets off the ground. Now that there has been significant progress elsewhere in the downtown area, we may actually see something happen- with or without Performa.

The Clarion Ledger

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Loan in Place...first phase Said to be on Schedule

The loan for the first phase of the Farish Street Entertainment District is apparently in place. According to plan. the first phase of the district will open in the fall of 2008 with 70,000 square feet of entertainment space. The B.B. King Blues Club may be a draw, but the project will need to attract more investment and energy before it is seen as a positive asset. The second phase will include a performing arts space. It's time this gets off the ground and into reality

The Jackson Free Press.

• 4 months later...

Farish Street- Change Many be Around the Corner

Action may possibly be within grasp for the Farish Street redevelopment project. A formal announcement may not be made until later this week, but indications are good that David Watkins may jump into the project. Given his solid track record with the King Edward and his solid plans for the Standard Life building, this appears to be a smart move for Jackson. Farish Street has a lot of potential which has been allowed to lie fallow for too many years. I'm not convinced that Wet Willie's is the proper avenue to take, but for this area to work as an entertainment district, there will have to be similar venues. Keep your fingers crossed on this one....

The Clarion-Ledger

• 2 weeks later...

Farish Street- Recap

Here's a recap of the woes of the Farish Street project. Essentially, this project has not had good stewardship in the past. I only hope its troubles will soon be over. Housing is essential- Wet Weillie's and the daiquiri bars can wait. It's understandable that the local banks were soured on this project.

The Jackson Free Press

Farish Street Announcement Possible

It's quite possible that an announcement about the reorganization of the long-stalled Farish Street project could be made in a couple of weeks. If David Watkins gets involved, this could only be a good thing for the city. I would like to see the scope of the project expanded to include more residential components in addition to the restaurants, bars and retail elements which are planned. If done correctly, this could indeed be just the thing for downtown Jackson.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 1 month later...

Farish Street Shapes Up?

It has been a tortuous road for the Farish Street project in downtown Jackson. Finally, action is taking place. A company from Minneapolis, Hope Development, will oversee effforts to create housing units, cafes, stores and nighspots along what has been a bedraggled thoroughfare in recent years. The renderings so far suggest a low-rise development in keeping with the history of the area. So far, it looks very, very good.

The Clarion=Ledger

• 2 weeks later...

Plans Could be Firm by October....

The plans for Farish Street are now more ambitious than ever, with the possibility of a boutique hotel, more restaurants and the involvement of people like Morgan Freeman and B.B. King. I think that keeping this from becoming a free-for-all 24 hour beerfest is a smart idea. As noted in the article, the 24 hour "resort" license didn't help the Red River Landing district in Shreveport. I have faith that this time it's going to work.

The Clarion-Ledger

Plans Could be Firm by October....

The plans for Farish Street are now more ambitious than ever, with the possibility of a boutique hotel, more restaurants and the involvement of people like Morgan Freeman and B.B. King. I think that keeping this from becoming a free-for-all 24 hour beerfest is a smart idea. As noted in the article, the 24 hour "resort" license didn't help the Red River Landing district in Shreveport. I have faith that this time it's going to work.

The Clarion-Ledger

Doesn't Morgan Freeman (recently injured in a MS car crash) own a rather famous restaurant in a small town in the state?

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...

Farish Street- Official Turnover to Watkins Group in 1 Month

The Farish Street project will likely be turned over to David Watkins and his team in about a month. It will be good to see movement on a project which had been given up for dead. I have faith that all will be well now.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 2 weeks later...

David Watkins Featured in the Clarion-Ledger

Developer David Watkins received a welcome profile in the Clarion-Ledger today. It's good to see that the state's most prominent newspaper is finally getting behind some of the remarkable development in downtown Jackson. The comment section, however, attests to the stubbornness of some who refuse to believe in anything good outside of the suburban enclave.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 1 month later...

Pictures Tell the Story

A recnt set of pictures from David Watkins shows that progress is being made on farish Street and at the King Edward. Storefronts which have long been shuttered are finally being cleaned out and made ready for new businesses. This will not be an easy project, especially given the current economic climate. What's important is that Watkins and others have the tenacity to see the project through to a finish which will be closer than many might suppose. The amout of work which still needs to be done in this long forgotten area of downtown Jackson is daunting. It's good to see that things are moving after almost eight years of inaction.

David Watkins' Album at Smugmug