Charlotte's Next Direction?

roningreensboro

Today while at work I thought of the this topic when I was discussing Charlottes growth with a collegue. I feel like since the housing crunch is taking a toll on the U.S. and now two of Charlotte's large Condo projects being postponed or slowed; should Charlotte start focusing on office space? Basically, instead of Charlotte developing condo towers, should they start expanding the buisness district; i.e. bringing in big name stores in the uptown area and expanding the office avaliability to at least 40%. IMO, build it and the buisness will come then the demand for housing will jump again. What do you all think?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think to suggest that Charlotte is in a housing slump because some multi-million dollar condos are being put on hold is a bit... much. Frankly, I hope that we at least get a price correction that makes urban living more affordable than some developers would like you to believe.

Charlotte has a lot going for it, in development right now. NASCAR HofF, Discovery Place, More residential condos and areas, Transportation advancements, Office Space that is seeking for companies to come to the city.

What I think the city needs to do is continue its projects, and to help continue bringing growth, invest in more office space and trying to gain more companies. Companies = Jobs, Jobs = Population Growth, Population = More residential demand, more retail demand, and more things to do in our center city. Whatever Charlotte's path is, I just hope it continues the trend in trying to maintain its growth closer to the center city, and I think todays trends are helping to push towards that, with rising gas prices, more green awareness, etc. I'd like to see more retail- I think that will help keep business focused in our center city, and I'd hope that we seek to gain more office and companies to our city, and also would like to see more entertainment invested into our city. That will help attract tourism as well as quality of life. I know this isn't usually well liked on these forums, but I would love to see some kind of animal exhibit uptown or close to it- whether its an aquarium or zoo, etc. Also, I look forward to more emphasis on parks in uptown and green space saved and altered. These will have a worthly long-run investment. Overall- I really just look foward to Charlotte always looking up, continuing growth in all areas to help make it a better lived city.

Archived