Winter Storm heading for Metro Detroit?

TheDetroitCity99

A very big Winter Storm is heading towards southeast Michigan, this being the third this season, with Snow totals expected to be at least 6-10 Inches from Detroit on North. I'm assuming schools and other public buildings will be closed on Friday 2/1/08 because the storm is expected to start around midnight and into much of the day friday. I thought this would be a good place to post your pictures,stories, and closings.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?conten...09-f94d6ab5a00f

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the professors just don't show up or cancel class themselves. The wind threw a tree limb into the side of my car....sucks, it's going to cost $1,800 to repair :angry:

I hope we get alot of snow. My little brother and cousins probably won't have school.

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

ACCUMULATING SNOW IS LIKELY THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVEN INCHES OR MORE...AS LOW PRESSURE MOVES OUT OF THE SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI VALLEY AND TRACKS NORTHEAST THROUGH NORTHERN OHIO. SHOULD THIS STORM DEVIATE FROM THIS TRACK... SNOWFALL POTENTIAL AND POSSIBLY PRECIPITATION TYPE COULD CHANGE.

This will be good. Wet snow, which mean it'll be like last time and stick to everything ;)

The wind last night sucked so bad. My apartment windows face the west, and I'm on the 12th floor, so the wind showed no mercy and I thought the panes were going to break at some points. Needless to say, I didn't sleep at all last night.

Snow in Detroit is always overexaggerated. We'll get some, but people always make it sound like we're going to be paralyzed.

I talked to my mom tonight in Northern MI, and she said that people who were out driving were being ticketed by the police because they were told not to drive for a certain period of time. I remember those kind of days when I was growing up up there. They're actually pretty fun and adventurous! :)

lol, this season has been pretty intense though. This is the 3rd major winter storm. Growing up I though 5" of snow was a ton. Now a days these storms are dumping a foot at a time. BTW Zachariah there most likely won't be school because the snow is supposed to be heaviest 3AM-11AM and they can't make kids go to school right after a snowstorm let alone in the middle of one. I love Snowstorms they're so exciting, they look so beautiful in the city. :D:D:D

The wind here was pretty bad. I keep hoping that the wind will blow the abandoned shell of a house across the street down, but no luck yet. The wind did blow some more of the dead street trees around the neighborhood down, though, including one onto a parked car.

I dont think that the snowstorm will be the gloom and doom that local weather people are predicting. Everytime they say were getting some big snowstorm we dont get anything...not that Im going to complain, since I am usually the one who ends up shoveling the sidewalk...all the way down to the empty house 4 houses away.

The wind here was pretty bad. I keep hoping that the wind will blow the abandoned shell of a house across the street down, but no luck yet. The wind did blow some more of the dead street trees around the neighborhood down, though, including one onto a parked car.

I dont think that the snowstorm will be the gloom and doom that local weather people are predicting. Everytime they say were getting some big snowstorm we dont get anything...not that Im going to complain, since I am usually the one who ends up shoveling the sidewalk...all the way down to the empty house 4 houses away.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES BY AROUND SUNRISE ON FRIDAY. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY EARLY FRIDAY EVENING.... EXCEPT FOR A TOTAL OF 5 TO 10 INCHES SOUTH OF DETROIT TOWARD THE TOLEDO AREA. A BIT OF SLEET MAY MIX IN WITH THE SNOW FRIDAY FROM PORT HURON THROUGH THE DETROIT AREA TO THE OHIO STATE LINE. ALSO...WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 10 TO 20 MPH BY LATE TONIGHT WHICH WILL CONTRIBUTE TO SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

I love living high up because of the great views and the fresh breeze when the windows are open. However...

When it is 7 degrees out and the 50mph wind blows the window open in the middle of the night and I dont wake up until 2 hours later and I am as cold as Kwame's approval rating...

well, it just sucks!

Once again, a big old scary storm produces 3-4 inches of slushy snow in downtown Detroit. I don't know about the rest of the metro, but the media was acting just as dumb as ever, making it sound like shoveling the few inches of snow in Farmington Hills was "digging out after the treachery".

Talked to ma again today, and THEY had school AND about 6" at the same time. Snow is overrated in Southern Michigan, with exception to the west side.

Archived