Winter Storm heading for Metro Detroit?

TheDetroitCity99

I didn't have to go into work yesterday...office policy is that the office is closed when DPS is closed. I should've gone in anyway, since I need the money, and we didn't get hit nearly as hard as expected. I didn't even have to work to dig my car out of the snow, haha.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Channel 7 announced today a possible winter storm is heading for the metro area but the track is very uncertain. Right now there are Winter Storm Watches posted arcross the saginaw valley near Bay City and south. There is a good possiblity that these watches will spread southward to the City before then turning to warnings. 6-12 Inches expected.

The National Weather Service In Detroit/Pontiac Has Issued A Winter Storm Watch...Which Is In Effect From Late Tuesday Night Through Wednesday Evening.

Snow...Possibly Heavy At Times...Will Spread Into The Area Late Tuesday Night And Continue Into Wednesday. Total Accumulations Of 6 To 12 Inches Will Be Possible. The Exact Track Of This System Is Still Uncertain...So Snowfall Forecasts May Have To Be Adjusted along with affected counties. Stay Tuned For Further Updates On This Developing Winter Storm.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...om=recentsearch

I wouldn't expect this to turn into headline news for at least 12-24 hours if the storm follows as expected, which by the looks of the last storm it won't :rolleyes:

lol ok so Winter Storm Warning Now in effect for all counties north and west of the city while an advisory is posted in the city.

St. Clair-Livingston-Oakland-Macomb- Including The Cities Of...Port Huron...Howell...Pontiac...Warren

...Winter Storm Warning In Effect From 10 PM This Evening To 10 AM EST Wednesday...

The National Weather Service In Detroit/Pontiac Has Issued A Winter Storm Warning...Which Is In Effect From 10 PM This Evening To 10 AM EST Wednesday.

A Mix Of Snow...Sleet And Freezing Rain Will Develop Late This Evening And Continue Into Late Wednesday Morning. The Precipitation Will Be Heavy At Times...Particularly Overnight Tonight. Storm Total Snowfall Accumulations Ending Late Wednesday Morning Will Range From 4 To 8 Inches...With The Heaviest Amounts Expected North Of M 59. Icing Accumulations Up To A Tenth Of An Inch Are Also Possible...Especially South Of M 59.

Expected Snow accumulations have been raised in the city aswell as suburbs. 5-8 Suburbs, 3-6 City. Over two dozen schools were closed this morning and dozens others ended up closings early because the storm hit much later than expected. The heavy snow should last through midnight and then just snow showers throughout the rest of the night. Many after school events have also been cancelled.

A Winter Storm Warning Remains In Effect Until 1 AM EST Thursday.

Snow This Afternoon Will Be Heavy At Times...Tapering Off During The Evening Hours. Total Snow Accumulation Of 5 To 8 Inches Is Expected By Midnight Tonight. In Addition...Sleet May Be Mix In With The Snow From Time To Time This Afternoon.

I am in Lansing right now, and we got something in the 7-9 inch range, with 2-4 more expected overnight. It sure was fun using the 4WD on my suv for once! The city stopped plowing around 5pm and decided to wait until it stopped.

How are things in Detroit? I'm going to head back tomorrow morning, and hopefully should not run into any problems.

Roads in the city proper are fine. Most are still snow-covered to some degree, but it's not like the whole city is buried. You shouldn't have any problems tomorrow. The plows are out in full force, and are making quick work of the snow. They're making the first passes on some of the main side streets now, and the second and third passes on main roads.

The streets in Ann Arbor were terrible last night.

I woke up to hearing one of those small bobcat plows working on the sidewalk when I heard tires squeal and then a crash. The bobcat couldn't make it up the incline in front of our house, and slid backward into a tree. Not a big deal since those things don't get damaged very easily. But the fact that a snow plowing piece of machinery failed at plowing snow made me think that there was no hope of me driving within the next day.

• 3 weeks later...

Winter's back. If anyone cares anymore. :rolleyes:

ALERT: POSSIBLE BIG STORM COMING MONDAY PM

A big storm brewing over the west looks like it's targeting southeastern Michigan and could bring some hefty snow totals. We are working right now to try and bring you an estimate on how much snow you could see in your own backyard. Right now it looks as if snow totals will exceed 6 inches. Please keep in mind the exact track of this storm is uncertain so snow totals are subject to change.

WeatherBug Forcast:

Monday Night

2/25/2008

Lo: 28

Winter Storm Watches have now been posted for all of Metro Detroit.

Snow Will Spread Into The Region Monday Evening. This Snow May Be Mixed With Rain South Of Detroit Initially. The Snow...Possibly Becoming Heavy At Times...Will Then Expand Across The Entire Area Overnight And Continue Into Tuesday. Northerly Winds Will Also Increase On Tuesday...With Gusts Up To 30 Mph Possibly Producing Blowing And Drifting Snow. Although The Track Of This Winter Storm Is Still Uncertain...At This Time It Appears Snowfall Totals Of 6 To 9 Inches Will Be Possible Before The Snow Tapers Off To Flurries On Tuesday Evening.

A Winter Storm Watch Means There Is A Potential For Significant Snow...Sleet...Or Ice Accumulations That May Impact Travel. Continue To Monitor The Latest Forecasts.

Honestly... is it really necessary to have these postings EVERYTIME there is a winter storm watch? I mean, we live in MICHIGAN. Its not like any of this weather is shocking. Not to mention... 6-9 inches? Really? Over here on the west side, we constantly are getting below what they predict everytime and we still set an all-time snow record for the season.

Winter Storm Watches have now been posted for all of Metro Detroit.

Snow Will Spread Into The Region Monday Evening. This Snow May Be Mixed With Rain South Of Detroit Initially. The Snow...Possibly Becoming Heavy At Times...Will Then Expand Across The Entire Area Overnight And Continue Into Tuesday. Northerly Winds Will Also Increase On Tuesday...With Gusts Up To 30 Mph Possibly Producing Blowing And Drifting Snow. Although The Track Of This Winter Storm Is Still Uncertain...At This Time It Appears Snowfall Totals Of 6 To 9 Inches Will Be Possible Before The Snow Tapers Off To Flurries On Tuesday Evening.

A Winter Storm Watch Means There Is A Potential For Significant Snow...Sleet...Or Ice Accumulations That May Impact Travel. Continue To Monitor The Latest Forecasts.

Archived