Little Rock vs. NWA

I seems to me that people from Little Rock or Arkansas in general, don't know how people from outside Arkansas perceive Little Rock. Living in Springfield and only being a 4 hour drive away, I can assure you that many people up here love to visit Little Rock. I myself have always enjoyed going down there and have lots of wonderful memories. It's always hard for people living in a city they've been in their whole life to really know what others think about their hometown. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of NWA, and not because I just woke up one day and decided that. I just don't like the feel to it. I guess I'm just a traditional city guy and prefer one big city with a great downtown. Every time I drive down there I wonder when I'm going to see more urban scenery or the "Downtown," but then again every city or town is different in it's own right.

Back to the topic...

I think that it seems obvious which metro will always be the big daddy of the state. It's just a matter of time before NWA's growth comes to a halt. When that is, no one knows, but with the lack of highways, freeway's, expressway's... the growth can only go so far. People will eventually get very sick of driving through all the windy roads. Plus there is no through interstate that runs through the metro. Even with all the huss and fuss about the population increase in NWA, Little Rock and Springfield are basically growing at the same rate. From June 2006 to June 2007, NWA gained over 12,000, Little Rock and Springfield more than 9,000 each.(census data) With the Highways system Little Rock has, as well as a much, much, much... more diverse economy, it will be very hard for NWA to steal the lime light from Little Rock.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting numbers released this week. 1 in 59 homes in NWA are currently on the market, versus 1 in 118 in Central Arkansas. Asking prices in NWA are stable and those in Central Ark are up 1.4%. Median price in NWA is $5000 higher but average price is considerably higher, meaning there are way too many high end homes sitting on the market unsold. Driving around in Chenal and Maumelle I thought we had an oversupply problem here but clearly the LR area builders have been much more cautious. The kind of oversupply NWA has right now will drive down prices.

Another interesting bit about growth in NWA. I was in Rogers last weekend, and there was a big article in the paper about the significant drop-off in growth in the Springdale school system...so much so that they're masterplan for infrastructure buildout was likely going to have to be radically altered. The short story is that the growth has tapered to a trickle, while their projections assumed unabated growth (why they would assume that - like many similar studies in NWA, I don't know).

Another interesting bit about growth in NWA. I was in Rogers last weekend, and there was a big article in the paper about the significant drop-off in growth in the Springdale school system...so much so that they're masterplan for infrastructure buildout was likely going to have to be radically altered. The short story is that the growth has tapered to a trickle, while their projections assumed unabated growth (why they would assume that - like many similar studies in NWA, I don't know).

When metro ares are experiencing a boom it is quite common for them to throw the "if current growth trends continue" line out there. I think I remember hearing that NWA was to have surpassed Little Rock by 2010 and be the next Atlanta sometime before 2030. People develop unrealistic perceptions during boomtimes.

To address a few themes here:

The reason NWA growth seems to have been in the news or to be "hyped" is simply because the area has virtually doubled in size the past 15 years.

NWA may be reaching a trough in its growth cycle, but there's no reason why NWA's growth should be downplayed.

It really has been phenomenal.

The fact that NWA/LR is even seriously debated today as compared to say in 1990 is testament to NWA's phenomenal growth.

I think the fact that people in NWA can enjoy most if not all of the things LR has to offer in terms of shopping, dining, and entertainment that people in LR can comes as a surprise to many people in LR. It upsets the superiority complex LR has had over the rest of the state for its entire history. I think thats evident in how some of the forumers here seem to be rooting against NWA's continued growth, and excitedly pointing out statistics that may indicate a slowdown.

NWA may not ever outgrow LR, but the metros are in the same tier. There really isn't much difference in day to day life. Both have AA minor league baseball teams. Both have a couple of good malls. Both have dining and shopping in line with other mid-sized metros. Both lack some things found in larger metros like Dallas.

Sure LR has a few things that NWA doesn't (Med center, govt). The reverse is also true (Major research Univ).

I personally find that NWA people, unless they are from LR, rarely think or talk about LR. In fact, I only visit LR every two years when the Razorbacks play LSU at War Memorial. The rest of the time, LR rarely crosses my mind (aside from when I am bored at work and surfing UP, of course).

I don't have any issue with points made by cocothief.

It should be noted that the statistics were part of a rebuttal to unsubstantiated and grossly exaggerated claims made by NWA formers about current and future economic conditions of NWA. I seriously hope you don't believe that anyone from the LR cohort is rooting for NWA to perform poorly.

It should be noted that the statistics were part of a rebuttal to unsubstantiated and grossly exaggerated claims made by NWA formers about current and future economic conditions of NWA. I seriously hope you don't believe that anyone from the LR cohort is rooting for NWA to perform poorly.

The loss of Nolan Richardson and the tenure of Houston Nutt, turned me off of hogdom.

I do have moral support for UA Fayetteville from an academic standpoint. I'd like to see the institution continue along the path it is on... If it could ever attain the stature of a UNC or UofI (I know there are MANY other great state schools), that would be a very good thing for Arkansas. Billion dollar campaigns, nationally ranked athletic programs can help close the gap, and national recruiting of professors can help close the gap. It'll take a while though.

My financial support stays with UALR. It is an unsung hero in the UA system. UALR cannot compete with UA Fayetteville, nor does it aspire to. UALR is the only metropolitan campus in the state and should continue to develop that characteristic.

I look forward visiting the Crystal Bridges Museum when it opens.

My financial support stays with UALR. It is an unsung hero in the UA system. UALR cannot compete with UA Fayetteville, nor does it aspire to. UALR is the only metropolitan campus in the state and should continue to develop that characteristic.

I totally agree with this. It used to be that LR supported the state economically. Now LR and NWA support the rest of the state, which will eventually bring the state up out of the 40s in the rankings you always hear so much about.

To address a few themes here:

The reason NWA growth seems to have been in the news or to be "hyped" is simply because the area has virtually doubled in size the past 15 years.

NWA may be reaching a trough in its growth cycle, but there's no reason why NWA's growth should be downplayed.

It really has been phenomenal.

The fact that NWA/LR is even seriously debated today as compared to say in 1990 is testament to NWA's phenomenal growth.

I think the fact that people in NWA can enjoy most if not all of the things LR has to offer in terms of shopping, dining, and entertainment that people in LR can comes as a surprise to many people in LR. It upsets the superiority complex LR has had over the rest of the state for its entire history. I think thats evident in how some of the forumers here seem to be rooting against NWA's continued growth, and excitedly pointing out statistics that may indicate a slowdown.

NWA may not ever outgrow LR, but the metros are in the same tier. There really isn't much difference in day to day life. Both have AA minor league baseball teams. Both have a couple of good malls. Both have dining and shopping in line with other mid-sized metros. Both lack some things found in larger metros like Dallas.

Sure LR has a few things that NWA doesn't (Med center, govt). The reverse is also true (Major research Univ).

I personally find that NWA people, unless they are from LR, rarely think or talk about LR. In fact, I only visit LR every two years when the Razorbacks play LSU at War Memorial. The rest of the time, LR rarely crosses my mind (aside from when I am bored at work and surfing UP, of course).

I don't think you can debate that NWA has an edge over LR in dining. I don't think there is a comparison. I am from LR and recently relocated to NWA. There is not near the quality of dining in NWA that LR has.

Sure, there are some VERY good places in NWA, but just not to the level of LR, in my opinion. Especially locally owned establishments.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Yes, NWA has a few shops and chain restaurants LR lacks, however the reverse is true to a far greater degree. Likewise, the stores and restaurants NWA has that LR lacks all plan a location in LR soon, the reverse is not true. That's aside from the independent restaurants and local shops, where LR holds a ridiculous advantage (and even Hot Springs is competitive). Fine dining, in particular, is very limited in NWA. There's James on the Mill and well, James on the Mill. That's only a slight exaggeration.

Is the "hamburger tax" local or statewide? If the tax is a statewide tax, I bet a look at the revenue by county would be informative. I'm curious is there a Buffalo Grill, Canon Grill, Faded Rose, Purple Cow, or Whole Hog in NWA? Surely there is a Corky's in NWA. The one in LR open in 96 and is owned by former Hog Joe Klein.

I don't think you can debate that NWA has an edge over LR in dining. I don't think there is a comparison. I am from LR and recently relocated to NWA. There is not near the quality of dining in NWA that LR has.

Sure, there are some VERY good places in NWA, but just not to the level of LR, in my opinion. Especially locally owned establishments.

I don't mean to nitpick but I'm not sure if all the chains NWA have do have plans to locate in Little Rock in the near future. But I will give you most do. I also believe there is some other options for fine dining but they simply aren't as well known as James at the Mill. I can't remember the name but there is a restaurant in an old church in Bentonville that I believe would classify as fine dining. I was also thinking there was a restaurant in downtown Rogers that might classify in that category as well. But either way Little Rock does have the edge on fine dining.

Is the "hamburger tax" local or statewide? If the tax is a statewide tax, I bet a look at the revenue by county would be informative. I'm curious is there a Buffalo Grill, Canon Grill, Faded Rose, Purple Cow, or Whole Hog in NWA? Surely there is a Corky's in NWA. The one in LR open in 96 and is owned by former Hog Joe Klein.

Archived