Little Rock vs. NWA

Is the "hamburger tax" local or statewide? If the tax is a statewide tax, I bet a look at the revenue by county would be informative. I'm curious is there a Buffalo Grill, Canon Grill, Faded Rose, Purple Cow, or Whole Hog in NWA? Surely there is a Corky's in NWA. The one in LR open in 96 and is owned by former Hog Joe Klein.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the hullabaloo over dedicated Thai restaurants being absent from central Arkansas, it would be nice to see at least one, I suppose. In the meantime, I very much like what little we get by way of Lilly's Dim Sum Then Some (plus that's about four blocks from my apartment!) and Pei Wei. (Yes, I suppose P.F. Chang's would probably have something, too, but Pei Wei is actually affordable for me.) Really, I'm just going to be there initially for the Pad Thai, anyway. I could live on that stuff for days.

I agree that Vietnamese is pretty terrific here, at least at Van Lang near UALR. I'm not that well versed in Vietnamese cuisine, but the service when I went was very helpful, and it was a very pleasing meal and overall experience

Interesting on the Thai food. Maybe NWA's Thai food market is more sophisticated because of the heavy Asian population down the road in Fort Smith.

I know Fort Smith has a killer Vietnamese market and some great Vietnamese restaurants because of its post Vietnam War immigrants.

Interesting on the Thai food. Maybe NWA's Thai food market is more sophisticated because of the heavy Asian population down the road in Fort Smith.

I know Fort Smith has a killer Vietnamese market and some great Vietnamese restaurants because of its post Vietnam War immigrants.

That number was projected back during the peak years of growth for NWA. NWA will need to diversify its economy, upgrade its infrastructure, and consider growing up instead of out if they want to see those kind of numbers by 2020.

A lot of the growth patterns for both metros depends on how the current oil crisis pans out. If we get cheap oil again, NWA will continue to sprawl and LR growth will continue to flood to Conway, Cabot, and Benton. If oil keeps rising, we might finally start seeing some dense infill in NWA and the decline of places like Conway as commuters try to live closer to their jobs.

I took a consultant from NWA to lunch today at Brave New Restaurant. His comment to me was "Wow. I feel like I'm in a real city." and went on to elaborate about the sophistication of the offerings in LR and the "urban" amenities/culture/atmosphere not found in NWA. He's right.

I personally hope that NWA continues to grow, but his observations above summarize why I prefer living in Little Rock.

I'm optimistic about telecommuting too. I think the adoption of mass telecommuting is a matter of the Boomers retiring (Hopefully I don't need to qualify that). I've been telecommuting since August. My wife has telecommuted for a couple of years. I'm exponentially more productive than at work. There are too many unnecessary interruptions in the office. Plus, I see my family more.

I took a consultant from NWA to lunch today at Brave New Restaurant. His comment to me was "Wow. I feel like I'm in a real city." and went on to elaborate about the sophistication of the offerings in LR and the "urban" amenities/culture/atmosphere not found in NWA. He's right.

I personally hope that NWA continues to grow, but his observations above summarize why I prefer living in Little Rock.

I don't know if you guys missed this from the Arkansas Business blog but I found it very interesting.

On Oct. 4, 2006, Northwest Arkansas "arrived."

Sure, it had already drawn plenty of outside recognition and praise for its rapid job growth and the successes of its flagship corporations Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Tyson Foods Inc. and J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc.

But regions are often measured by their amenities as much as their job opportunities, and up to that point no better example existed of Northwest Arkansas' rise to prominence than the $84 million Pinnacle Hills Promenade.

With chic new-to-market stores like Sephora and the "outdoor living center" walkable model that is spreading across the nation in a 180-degree turn from the traditional enclosed mall, the Promenade symbolized a bright future in an area that still celebrated events as mundane as a new Olive Garden.

Since then, however, that period looks increasingly like the peak of Northwest Arkansas' boom rather than merely the continuation of its seemingly endless upward cycle as it was seen at the time.

Kathy Deck, director of the Center for Business and Economic Research at the University of Arkansas, takes a look at the latest job numbers in the region and find them "a little scary."

The Northwest Arkansas economy created nearly 45,000 jobs between 2001 and November 2006. In the 16 months since, the area has actually lost a total of 500 jobs according to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

After adding 6,000 jobs between March 2004 and March 2007, the transportation, trade and utilities sector shed 800 jobs in the last year.

Professional and business services, which represent many of the third-party companies serving the suppliers to Wal-Mart, Tyson and J.B. Hunt, added 5,200 jobs from 2004-2007. In the last year, the sector has dropped 100 jobs.

"These have been Northwest Arkansas' bread and butter," Deck says. "When we talk about job growth, these sectors have led the way. They are big sectors of our economy and have had steady growth for decades.

Archived