New I-95 bridge in Pawtucket

City, RIDOT, select private citizens announce their super-awesome bridge design. Without releasing an image. WTF?

And, for the record, I am deeply dubious about the quality of their Pleasant St pedestrian "tunnel" being less dreary, dark and damp than the current open-air configuration. That is some awesome dope that guy is smoking. To me, it looks like the poor black people that have to walk that road on a daily basis get the short end of the stick.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
City, RIDOT, select private citizens announce their super-awesome bridge design. Without releasing an image. WTF?

And, for the record, I am deeply dubious about the quality of their Pleasant St pedestrian "tunnel" being less dreary, dark and damp than the current open-air configuration. That is some awesome dope that guy is smoking. To me, it looks like the poor black people that have to walk that road on a daily basis get the short end of the stick.

He's got a point, but if those fines wnet directly into speeding up this project, I think that would be better.

It is a huge PITA to deal with this and I can't imagine truckers are all that happy about the detours either. That the state expects Pawtucket to absorb this pain for 6 years is a little ridiculous. Whether it is related or not, all of the business on division st. have been closing since this bridge thing started.

When Taft and Pleasant are closed I'm going to be one unhappy camper.

I understand the priorities problem, I think the bigger issue is how the bridge had to get to the point that concrete was falling on people's heads before they decided "oops, I guess it isn't in good shape after all."

I hope it is a nice design, but between the recession, the budget problems in the city, and this project, I fear for the vitality of the immediate area.

If they are resorting to select private citizens to announce the virtues of the new design, without showing an image of it, it's either a really radical or mediocre design. I suspect the later. The pedestrian tunnel with lighting effects might not be bad, depending on the proportions of the tunnel. Then again it could be like a soviet era tunnel running under a boulevard-highway in Moscow, although, at least there the tunnels are teaming with people and kiosks.

Just FTR I feel they kind of went above and beyond just giving a view. Part of the promise is that it would work contextually with the Division St. Bridge, that's not even in the render. They appear to have guessed at the grade differences between Pleasant and Taft, and Division St. doesn't appear at all. I understand the architechtural need to show the bridge but that render may as well be of a 4 year old's lego set. It has so little context as to be rendered (get it?) useless. This is far from a big deal, I just can't let something go without a joke.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived