Local Media in GR -- what do people think?

LA Dave

On the rare occasion I watch local news on the TV, its usually the Fox station (WXMI?), but that's just because I'm too lazy to change the channel. On the web, its woodtv.com, mostly because I like the way its laid out and I like their weather graphics. I don't get any news on the radio, mostly because I don't listen to much other than FB&HW mornings. I agree that the typos and grammatical errors I see in supposedly-reputable news publications are dumbfounding.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that after last night's Democratic Primaries in D.C., Maryland and Virginia, which were probably the most pivotal three primaries in a neck-and-neck Democratic race (probably the hottest primary race in the last 30 years), that WoodTV ran the results in the last 3 minutes of their broadcast (that Obama won all three contests and now leads the delegate race). Is it because WoodTV's pick, McCain, is pretty much a shoe-in for the Republican nomination? :whistling:

(yes I'm taking a jab at WoodTV's bias)

I find it interesting that after last night's Democratic Primaries in D.C., Maryland and Virginia, which were probably the most pivotal three primaries in a neck-and-neck Democratic race (probably the hottest primary race in the last 30 years), that WoodTV ran the results in the last 3 minutes of their broadcast (that Obama won all three contests and now leads the delegate race). Is it because WoodTV's pick, McCain, is pretty much a shoe-in for the Republican nomination? :whistling:

(yes I'm taking a jab at WoodTV's bias)

I love NPR. This is my basic news source.

I get the paper but I question this on a daily basis because there is umph to it. I love the Thursday paper because of the local eats column but that's about it.

Growing up in Detroit as a young kid, I loved watching the news. Detroit stations are amazing. Channel 7 was terrific and you couldn't beat Channel 4's investigative reporting. Though living over here it's hard going back over there now and watching the news because ours is so fluffy over here.

I love NPR. This is my basic news source.

I get the paper but I question this on a daily basis because there is umph to it. I love the Thursday paper because of the local eats column but that's about it.

Growing up in Detroit as a young kid, I loved watching the news. Detroit stations are amazing. Channel 7 was terrific and you couldn't beat Channel 4's investigative reporting. Though living over here it's hard going back over there now and watching the news because ours is so fluffy over here.

Suzanne Heehaw pulled a perfect example last night on the news. After showing a story about the poor people who got scammed into giving all their info for a hospital job that wasn't there, she decides to ad lib "wow, it's such a good thing the bad guys didn't get their personal info." Um, hello Suzanne, did you totally check out on that interview about how the bad guys got the personal information?

IMO wood 8 has a veru professialan set but lacks some real quality anchors and being an nbc affiliate I don't like what they did with the abc battle creek station. I like the anchors at 13 better but it just looks so low budget. Fox 17 is OK, their a little cheesy. Not very important but does anyone notice that when an attractive young reporter gets their feet on the ground they are gone before too long, then show up in bigger markets like chicago? Somewhat of a "good looks brain drain".

• 11 months later...

WGVU has started streaming clips from more of their broadcasts on their website.

The Morning Show: http://www.wgvu.org/wgvunews/index.cfm?id=...il&sty=2224

Mid-Day West Michigan: http://www.wgvu.org/wgvunews/index.cfm?id=...il&sty=2258

They appear to only go back a week though. I don't see anyway to get back to older ones.

Archived