Uptown versus...?

tozmervo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at uptown more as a Proper noun referring to specifically the land within 277 (obviously locally).

Where as I view downtown as a pronoun that could refer to any, well, downtown.

I don't say uptown Concord, uptown Miami, uptown Memphis, uptown Gastonia. I've also never heard anyone refer to other downtowns as uptown. The name of the space in 277 is called uptown. Just like Dilworth is Dilworth. NoDa is NoDa. And Uptown is Uptown.

So then the only way to solve this dilemma must be to create a "Downtown" Charlotte.  That way we can distinguish between the two.  How bout renaming Southpark or Ballantyne "Downtown."  That ought to shut people up.

Does anyone make fun of Paris for having La Défense?  Probably, but who cares?  I moved here back in 94, learned it was called Uptown, and stuck with it.  I don't understand why people that move here now find it so hard to grasp.  It's just another area of the city.  It is an interesting thought that most cities do have their central business districts labeled as "downtown."  But has anyone in those cities (excluding NYC) actually considered why it's called that?  That, to me, doesn't make sense.  Let's call this economically and symbolically significant area something that only really incorrectly describes its topography...  But maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Center City, to me, is the perfect name.  It makes the most sense.  But CCP would be way too hard pressed to drive that into the minds of millions.  Uptown is too solidly embedded into the culture.  And, most importantly, it makes it easier for the suburbanites to call it "Yuptown"

Yeah - and I'll always call it Downtown. But does it really matter?

To some it does, for whatever reason. And it's annoying be corrected. I say uptown and get corrected that it's downtown on rare occasions.

It's sort of like people have hissy fits over the pronunciation of Cherryville. There is a war being raged over the pronunciation. Chur-vull (which is what locals call it) vs. cherry-ville (usually by people not from gaston county)

Archived