New Alternative Radio Station?

joeDowntown

You made my day *fish. Slacker.com is awesome! I always feel stupid when I haven't discovered stuff like this. ;)

Joe

I barely ever listen to "commercial radio" in the car. I can barely stand the music they play and the commercials make me want to puke. :sick: So in the car, it's my disc changer or NPR (104.1, Michigan Radio out of Ann Arbor - GRDad, I laughed out loud when I read "Christian station?"). Tonight driving home though, I thought I'd check out the new 96.1 and they were playing Counting Crows. Wow! They're so "alternative"! I won't have to check that station out ever again!

During the day at work I'm tuned into slacker.com. Those of you who are into pandora should check it out. I started out with Pandora and over time I've migrated over to slacker. Good new music on their alternative stations - stuff like Ryan Adams, Andrew Bird, Arcade Fire, Feist, VHS or Beta...and on and on!

*fish

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Detroit-area transplant, I am continually mystified that there is no good R&B/hip-hop station at all! I'm used to having a few choices, and now there is nothing. Is there a reason for the complete lack of an R&B/hip-hop station in GR? I find it hard to believe no one listens to that genre of music. I like all kinds of music, and WYCE and NPR are definitely my default stations, but it's so sad I can't get a R&B/hip-hop 'fix' every once in awhile.

As a Detroit-area transplant, I am continually mystified that there is no good R&B/hip-hop station at all! I'm used to having a few choices, and now there is nothing. Is there a reason for the complete lack of an R&B/hip-hop station in GR? I find it hard to believe no one listens to that genre of music. I like all kinds of music, and WYCE and NPR are definitely my default stations, but it's so sad I can't get a R&B/hip-hop 'fix' every once in awhile.

WGRD has some real issues with their play selection. In any given hour, you're going to hear Finger Eleven, Fuel, Nickelback (wtf?) and Pop Evil. They have a commercial that says something like, "Our corporate office sent us a list of songs to play, and we're playing this instead!" I think they're playing the list corporate sent them six months ago, because they haven't added anything new in that time. GRD is virtually indistinguishable today from a year ago, which is sad because there's a lot of great "alternative" music out there that people just aren't hearing.

The new 96 X station is better than GRD... I can't say I liked the few days of dead air clock-ticking they had before the changeover, but they're playing a lot, lot of stuff that I haven't heard around here in a while, and that's good.

Whoever said that WYCE is too ecclectic was right. GVSU has a student-run station called the Whale (www.thewhale.org) that you can tune into online, but I've never been able to get it off campus.

Archived