Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

PROPOSED: Narragansett Brewery

83 posts in this topic

Ian Donnis reports that plans to bring a 'Gansett Brewery back to the Ocean State are moving forward:

If sales of Narragansett Beer get off to a strong start in the first quarter of 2008, the brewing operation of the rejuvenated Rhode Island icon could return to the Ocean State in the final half of this year, says company president Mark Hellendrung.

“I’m probably overly optimistic about it,” he says, hedging his bets a bit, although the budding beer baron can barely contain his enthusiasm in envisioning a local brewery operation, complete with a beer garden, where people could visit and sample the beer.

If this dream comes to fruition, it will be in Providence -- probably on the West Side. “It’s kind of where our heartbeat is today,” Hellendrung says.

Ian Donnis reports that plans to bring a 'Gansett Brewery back to the Ocean State are moving forward:

Personally, I can't choke down Narragansett. I'd be happy to see them introduce some new brews and become a new Sam Adams.

that's awesome new!!! i like a 'gansett every now and then, but it's not a regular for me. it's a great beer on a hot summer day. you should try their bock. that one is really good and much better than the regular lager if you ask me. i would like to see them brew some different styles and i'd love to see them have a brewpub in their brewery.

When I drink beer, which is not very often, I am a cheap beer lover. Schlitz, High Life, you name it. 'Gansett is great and I would love to see a brewery here..Given the desire to be in PVD and on the West Side, where would you think it would go?

where would you think it would go?

yeah, but it would need a zoning change. How about Carpenter Mills? And how much space do they need cuz there's this empty grocery store down at eagle square...

the size of the space depends on the amount of distribution they want. right now i think they only distribute to RI, SE MA, and SW CT, so it doesn't have to be that big. but if they want to expand on that, they'll need more space. same goes if they want to expand their selection as well. but the empty grocery store would be a pretty good location if you ask me.

you know, they could make a brew pub too, right on the river. some of my favorite brew pubs have been right on the water. There's something about beer and water... Although i seem to remember a deal (real or imagined) regarding the Federal Hill Merchants and an agreement that there would never be a real restaurant OR a liquor store at eagle square...

that was my thought. brewery goes in the grocery store and brewpub in one of the empty retail spots.

do popeye's, subway, and dunkin' donuts not count as real restaurants? brewpubs are not liquor stores in the traditional sense, though you can buy growlers.

no, those don't count as real restaurants. and honestly i don't know if that was an actual consideration i just remember it was talked about during eagle square that the merchants didn't want to see a real, sit down restaurant or a liquor store down there. It would be interesting to know whether a deed restriction was ever put on a property as a result.

that would be pretty messed up if they managed to get that. do they really think that a restaurant down there would take away from the businesses up there? seriously... even when it's like 20 below, those places up on the hill are mobbed.

And how much space do they need cuz there's this empty grocery store down at eagle square...

I don't know if Narragansett wants to own their property, and if so, if they would be able to own the Shaw's location, but I agree, its a good spot. If they were to put in a brew pub, I imagine them blowing out the wall of Shaw's facing the river and building a deck out toward the river, over that bank. It overlooks a parking lot ( :rolleyes: ) but it would still be nice, especially with a bit more vegetation. Also, if that large retail space becomes manufacturing, they would no longer need that massive parking lot...

However... I imagine when they say "West Side" and "it

Isn't PriceRite already a done deal down there?

yeah, that's what i figure as well. perhaps they could brew in the armory? :silly:

i wonder what the state rules are regarding breweries near schools and such. I know you can't get a liquor license within some hundred yards of a school or a church. The old Stop and Shop on Adelaide ave sure has enough room, although it is near the new polluted high (hahah) school. but does a brewery need a liquor license? i am sure it does if there's going to be a restaurant or bar, but what if there isn't?

One may say Onleyville is a downtrodden area and not a good retail bet, and one may be right, but isn't the Sam Adams brewery in some weird scary industrial zone of Boston, and don't people still flood down there? If they opened there, and if they had a brew pub, I think people would come, and it could be a good anchor for Olneyville Square redevelopment. And again, they wouldn't need that massive parking lot...

Onleyville Square is also closer to the Broadway/Westminster/Armory folks who I think they think are their current target.

i wonder what the state rules are regarding breweries near schools and such. I know you can't get a liquor license within some hundred yards of a school or a church. The old Stop and Shop on Adelaide ave sure has enough room, although it is near the new polluted high (hahah) school. but does a brewery need a liquor license? i am sure it does if there's going to be a restaurant or bar, but what if there isn't?

The Pittsburgh Brewing Company's (now called the Iron City Brewing Company) brewery is smack dab in the middle of the Lawrenceville neighborhood of the city. It's a great example of how industry and residential can co-exist.

Do a Google Map Search on Liberty Ave & 34th St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201. Notice the muti-story brick brewery (you'll see it from street view as you're looking to the south at Liberty Ave from 34th St). Then, pan around until you are facing north, and move east on Liberty Ave so you can see the houses across the street.

The Pittsburgh Brewing Company's (now called the Iron City Brewing Company) brewery is smack dab in the middle of the Lawrenceville neighborhood of the city. It's a great example of how industry and residential can co-exist.

Do a Google Map Search on Liberty Ave & 34th St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201. Notice the muti-story brick brewery (you'll see it from street view as you're looking to the south at Liberty Ave from 34th St). Then, pan around until you are facing north, and move east on Liberty Ave so you can see the houses across the street.

Isn't the Green Bar right across the Street from an elementary school? How did that happen?