PROPOSED: Narragansett Brewery

Ian Donnis reports that plans to bring a 'Gansett Brewery back to the Ocean State are moving forward:

If sales of Narragansett Beer get off to a strong start in the first quarter of 2008, the brewing operation of the rejuvenated Rhode Island icon could return to the Ocean State in the final half of this year, says company president Mark Hellendrung.

“I’m probably overly optimistic about it,” he says, hedging his bets a bit, although the budding beer baron can barely contain his enthusiasm in envisioning a local brewery operation, complete with a beer garden, where people could visit and sample the beer.

If this dream comes to fruition, it will be in Providence -- probably on the West Side. “It’s kind of where our heartbeat is today,” Hellendrung says.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's awesome new!!! i like a 'gansett every now and then, but it's not a regular for me. it's a great beer on a hot summer day. you should try their bock. that one is really good and much better than the regular lager if you ask me. i would like to see them brew some different styles and i'd love to see them have a brewpub in their brewery.

the size of the space depends on the amount of distribution they want. right now i think they only distribute to RI, SE MA, and SW CT, so it doesn't have to be that big. but if they want to expand on that, they'll need more space. same goes if they want to expand their selection as well. but the empty grocery store would be a pretty good location if you ask me.

you know, they could make a brew pub too, right on the river. some of my favorite brew pubs have been right on the water. There's something about beer and water... Although i seem to remember a deal (real or imagined) regarding the Federal Hill Merchants and an agreement that there would never be a real restaurant OR a liquor store at eagle square...

no, those don't count as real restaurants. and honestly i don't know if that was an actual consideration i just remember it was talked about during eagle square that the merchants didn't want to see a real, sit down restaurant or a liquor store down there. It would be interesting to know whether a deed restriction was ever put on a property as a result.

I don't know if Narragansett wants to own their property, and if so, if they would be able to own the Shaw's location, but I agree, its a good spot. If they were to put in a brew pub, I imagine them blowing out the wall of Shaw's facing the river and building a deck out toward the river, over that bank. It overlooks a parking lot ( :rolleyes: ) but it would still be nice, especially with a bit more vegetation. Also, if that large retail space becomes manufacturing, they would no longer need that massive parking lot...

However... I imagine when they say "West Side" and "it

i wonder what the state rules are regarding breweries near schools and such. I know you can't get a liquor license within some hundred yards of a school or a church. The old Stop and Shop on Adelaide ave sure has enough room, although it is near the new polluted high (hahah) school. but does a brewery need a liquor license? i am sure it does if there's going to be a restaurant or bar, but what if there isn't?

One may say Onleyville is a downtrodden area and not a good retail bet, and one may be right, but isn't the Sam Adams brewery in some weird scary industrial zone of Boston, and don't people still flood down there? If they opened there, and if they had a brew pub, I think people would come, and it could be a good anchor for Olneyville Square redevelopment. And again, they wouldn't need that massive parking lot...

Onleyville Square is also closer to the Broadway/Westminster/Armory folks who I think they think are their current target.

i wonder what the state rules are regarding breweries near schools and such. I know you can't get a liquor license within some hundred yards of a school or a church. The old Stop and Shop on Adelaide ave sure has enough room, although it is near the new polluted high (hahah) school. but does a brewery need a liquor license? i am sure it does if there's going to be a restaurant or bar, but what if there isn't?

The Pittsburgh Brewing Company's (now called the Iron City Brewing Company) brewery is smack dab in the middle of the Lawrenceville neighborhood of the city. It's a great example of how industry and residential can co-exist.

Do a Google Map Search on Liberty Ave & 34th St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201. Notice the muti-story brick brewery (you'll see it from street view as you're looking to the south at Liberty Ave from 34th St). Then, pan around until you are facing north, and move east on Liberty Ave so you can see the houses across the street.

The Pittsburgh Brewing Company's (now called the Iron City Brewing Company) brewery is smack dab in the middle of the Lawrenceville neighborhood of the city. It's a great example of how industry and residential can co-exist.

Do a Google Map Search on Liberty Ave & 34th St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201. Notice the muti-story brick brewery (you'll see it from street view as you're looking to the south at Liberty Ave from 34th St). Then, pan around until you are facing north, and move east on Liberty Ave so you can see the houses across the street.

Archived