PROPOSED: Narragansett Brewery

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally FAR prefer PBR, Schlitz, or High Life over 'Gansett. The last 4 ounces always tastes like swill in the 'Gansett tall boy...

Back about 15 years ago, Naraganssett was going to set up shop at 669 Elmwood Ave. But that fell through and 'Gansett ended up being brewed in Rochester or something...

It's brewed in Rochester NY.

The only place I ever got it was at Decatur. I go to Lili's all the time and I didn't know they carried it. Hmmmm. It was good though. Trinity makes it for them though, don't they?

I think my post from yesterday never went through, so if this is repeated, sorry (the internet security at work blocks web pages with certain language, including the word "arm0ry").

Anyway, I was saying that I would love a Gansett brewery/Brew Pub/beer garden in my neighborhood. I think it would really fit in & add to the character of the West End. Beer that even artists and the working class can afford! It would be awesome to put it in the Arm0ry, I can see the new beer cans now, with the orange castle painted on them.... although I think a riverside location is usually preferred for a brewery. Maybe somewhere in the Alco property.

Though not by a river, there's a bunch of vacant mill-type buildings between Westminster and Cranston streets - seems like there's plenty of room there, and it's commercially zoned.

I'd love to see them sub-divide the Eagle Square Shaw's and make 1/2 of it into the brewery and 1/2 of it into the Farm Fresh RI product distribution center that is in the works, with improvements to the property like beer garden seating on the river and outdoor market areas up against the Valley street front. The property might still be too big, allowing for a third use in there somewhere.

I suspect the rent at that location is way too high for Farm Fresh RI, though.

I'd love to see them sub-divide the Eagle Square Shaw's and make 1/2 of it into the brewery and 1/2 of it into the Farm Fresh RI product distribution center that is in the works, with improvements to the property like beer garden seating on the river and outdoor market areas up against the Valley street front. The property might still be too big, allowing for a third use in there somewhere.

I suspect the rent at that location is way too high for Farm Fresh RI, though.

i think the key to that awesome scenario is that the city needs to recoup any losses from giving away tax stabilization and the like, and apply the windfall to creating a more local business friendly environment. Subsidize the rent for a few years, help with the build out, etc. Whatever needs to happen, needs to happen there. Does the city really not have someone doing marketing and economic development for an actual job? seems like a no brainer to me.

i think the key to that awesome scenario is that the city needs to recoup any losses from giving away tax stabilization and the like, and apply the windfall to creating a more local business friendly environment. Subsidize the rent for a few years, help with the build out, etc. Whatever needs to happen, needs to happen there. Does the city really not have someone doing marketing and economic development for an actual job? seems like a no brainer to me.

Shaws signed a 25 year lease on that store. Let them subsidize the rent. I am sure they would be willing to listen to any ideas. But you have to work with Feldco too. All the other leases they signed stipulated that a supermarket would be located in that building. Or at least that what I remeber them saying.

Shaws signed a 25 year lease on that store. Let them subsidize the rent. I am sure they would be willing to listen to any ideas. But you have to work with Feldco too. All the other leases they signed stipulated that a supermarket would be located in that building. Or at least that what I remeber them saying.

the last any of us heard, Price Rite was moving into the Eagle Square space. Of course a lot of us said "huh?" when that was announced. If the Price Rite move is true, then this discussion should probably be about how their current space Olneyville Square can be re-used.

I'd love for that to be the location, it'd bring jobs into the area and such. I'm just not sure whether the reaction to it would be a positive or a negative. It IS hard to predict at times exactly what would be well recieved and what would be seen as a major intrusion. A Narragansett Brewery/Beer Garden would definitely help along the surrounding businesses, though not immediately. Either way, I'm pretty sure that it will not be there.

Honestly, I can't imagine where they could possibly be thinking of putting this. Anywhere will likely surprise me.

I love it!

I just hope it lands in the actual West End instead of the West-End-Metro-Area, which now includes the neighborhoods formerly known as Southside, Olneyville, Valley, and Federal Hill. :-)

I volunteer to go to lots of beer gardens in Munich and research how to design one properly.

Archived