Arkansans for President

Ok so they closed the other presidential topic and made us go to the main coffee house to post. Well I couldn't possibly get into arguments with the whole UP forum (or moreso it will discourage arguments from our own forumers in which I love to read them).

Anyways, here is a "different" topic. Well, is there any substance to the fact that both Arkansan candidates won the Arkansas primaries?

To me it reflects the portion of the race where it becomes like a popularity contest, and this year's election may turn more into a high school senior class president-type election.

One more note, I think instead of referring to Clinton, we should refer to her as Hillary or Rodham. I think the Clinton part is the honorary part.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok so they closed the other presidential topic and made us go to the main coffee house to post. Well I couldn't possibly get into arguments with the whole UP forum (or moreso it will discourage arguments from our own forumers in which I love to read them).

Anyways, here is a "different" topic. Well, is there any substance to the fact that both Arkansan candidates won the Arkansas primaries?

To me it reflects the portion of the race where it becomes like a popularity contest, and this year's election may turn more into a high school senior class president-type election.

One more note, I think instead of referring to Clinton, we should refer to her as Hillary or Rodham. I think the Clinton part is the honorary part.

I'm dissapointed that the admins feel that things in our coffee house can only exist as long as they're specifically related to the state of Arkansas (undermines the whole point of the coffee house sub-forum, in my mind), but I do feel that Huckabee and Clinton winning in Arkansas are soley due to their perceived "home state" status. Although Hillary is by no means an "Arkansas woman" she does somehow have that image there. That said, I've seen much, much, much more campaigning for Obama being done here and in North Central Arkansas than for Hillary, so it surprised me she won by as much as she did.

This is the second presidential election since this site went operational, and we simply don't want to relive what happened last time. Hence we made the decision to move all political discussions, AFTER the primaries, to a single coffee house forum. If you guys want to talk about the Arkansas primary then so be it, but if it morphs back into a replacement for the other topic, then I will close it.

ZMAN9810,

Go to Hilary's website. The home page only shows the names Clinton once. Read the part "Hilary's Story". It mentions Clinton once, "Instead she followed her heart and a man named Bill Clinton to Arkansas". It is Hilary this and Hilary that. One of the better comments is "when her husband was elected President". She does give Bill some respect when it says their daughter Chelsea was born not like the local ads that said she became Chelsea's mom. I never did understand the wording of this ad. She became Chelsea's mom. It sounded like Chelsea existed before Hilary was around. I always thought the mom existed before the child. It looks to me she is using poor Bill only when she needs an attack dog.

When cowbreath said "we should refer to her as " I assumed he meant "we" as the posters in this discussion on this board. The outside world with it's campaign websites and signs is a whole different situation. Using someone's first name only can be seen as a sign of contempt- it conveys a familarity that maybe the candidate wants to show in their campaign material but can lead to the type of heated discussion that the admins seem to want to avoid.

Yeah, Bill Clinton has been reined it it seems. I think he would be better off staying in the background planning strategy or just giving feel-good speeches and raising cash.

When cowbreath said "we should refer to her as " I assumed he meant "we" as the posters in this discussion on this board. The outside world with it's campaign websites and signs is a whole different situation. Using someone's first name only can be seen as a sign of contempt- it conveys a familarity that maybe the candidate wants to show in their campaign material but can lead to the type of heated discussion that the admins seem to want to avoid.

Yeah, Bill Clinton has been reined it it seems. I think he would be better off staying in the background planning strategy or just giving feel-good speeches and raising cash.

Why would using someone's first name be seen as a sign of contempt? HRC wants people to use her first name. She has never cared for the name Clinton anyway. She wants the world to see her as one of those one name celebrities. As for her Arkansas ties they come up short. She would have never ended up in Arkansas if it wasn't for Bill. When Bill's terms were up did they return to Arkansas? As someone born in the state I do not consider her an Arkansan.

I don't know if it's because of the era that I grew up in or just the way I was raised but the use of first names to address others was not as common in the past as it is now. It can be seen as a sign of contempt and disrespect and would earn you some type of discipline if you did it to the wrong person.

Would you address her as Hillary or Mrs. President when she is elected? If you didn't like her it would be more likely that you would use Hillary and if you did like her use Mrs. President or at least Mrs. Clinton. I think the use of Hillary in her campaign is to differentiate herself from her husband and his legacy, not because she doesn't like the name.

I hadn't really thought it about it that way or really meant it too much. I think I probably still feel like that whole case with Bill and Monica was embarrassing, though, and I never really followed how the aftermath affected them. To see them now is sort of surreal. I just hope this quest for presidency isn't kind of a coping mechanism.

With that being said, I don't know what I am talking about probably and I don't usually have people take me too seriously.

Depends. If he could secure Romney's delegates (which a Huckabee campaign official tells me would take an endorsement from Romney, otherwise they'll be released when he completely withdraws, and they can go to whomever they want), he wouldn't be that far behind McCain in delegates at all. As it stands right now, I think he has a chance, especially since he has a better shot in Texas than McCain, but we'll see.

Yeah, in some ways I hope that does happen, because I'd like to John McCain head-to-head with someone else before the big gig. I just feel like I've seen several controversial sound bytes from news networks from John's speeches. I'd like to hear him more if he is the frontrunner.

Huckabee has some interesting qualities, and I'm pretty shocked that he made it this far. He was a longshot in my opinion. Well, he has a lot of issues himself and I doubt he'll be elected by the GOP, but I guess they all do. I'm even more shocked that John McCain is the frontrunner.

I don't know if it's because of the era that I grew up in or just the way I was raised but the use of first names to address others was not as common in the past as it is now. It can be seen as a sign of contempt and disrespect and would earn you some type of discipline if you did it to the wrong person.

Would you address her as Hillary or Mrs. President when she is elected? If you didn't like her it would be more likely that you would use Hillary and if you did like her use Mrs. President or at least Mrs. Clinton. I think the use of Hillary in her campaign is to differentiate herself from her husband and his legacy, not because she doesn't like the name.

Archived