I-81 Extension to Florida Coast

aboutmetro

Many, many in GA would like to see such an Interstate extension happen. There's much discussion whether the extension should go to Panama City Beach or to Tallahasse. Either way, an extension of this lonely Interstate Spur is talked about ALOT. The suggestion to extend I-81 by co-locating with I-75 to north GA and then by building the western segment of the Atlanta Outer Perimiter and connecting with I-185 through Columbus, GA and extending that spur to Florida would give East Tennessea a freeway to the gulf coast. Read about it here...

I-81.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be less resistance to building the "outer perimeter" by creating new interstate routes that basically results in 75-80% of what was termed the "outer perimeter" being built, simply by changing the terminology. The proposed "northern arc" from I-85 northeast of Atlanta to I-75 northwest of Atlanta seems to be all that is left of a proposal solely as part of Atlanta's outer perimeter and it continues to draw protests despite the fact that the first ounce of dirt has never been moved.

Make the route part of a greater multi-state plan and it gets embraced, even if only lukewarmly, but make it solely a regional route and protest are loudly heard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking the pro or con side, but noting how much more easily this placates people by essentially calling the same project by another name, because it has become part of a bigger picture which can be more justified.

There seems to be less resistance to building the "outer perimeter" by creating new interstate routes that basically results in 75-80% of what was termed the "outer perimeter" being built, simply by changing the terminology. The proposed "northern arc" from I-85 northeast of Atlanta to I-75 northwest of Atlanta seems to be all that is left of a proposal solely as part of Atlanta's outer perimeter and it continues to draw protests despite the fact that the first ounce of dirt has never been moved.

Make the route part of a greater multi-state plan and it gets embraced, even if only lukewarmly, but make it solely a regional route and protest are loudly heard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking the pro or con side, but noting how much more easily this placates people by essentially calling the same project by another name, because it has become part of a bigger picture which can be more justified.

• 1 month later...

The Georgia DOT is holding regional meetings in Southwest Georgia to determine necessity, feasibility and desire for 'access' to Interstates. This area along with Southeast Alabama was like the land that the Interstates forgot. I would think that, since the very definition of an Interstate involves more than one state, Alabama and Florida would be brought into the discussion... Anyway, here's a link to the dedicated website. There will be a stakeholders meeting (presentation link) in Columbus, GA on April 15th. Other area meetings have already occured. Southwest Georgia Interstate Study website.

The study area map:

studyarea.jpg

Probably not if it's not brought up by an audience member. It seems like a very narrowly focused meeting. Kind of strange for an 'Interstate' meeting if you ask me. I just added the news to this forum because if the solution becomes extending I-185 from Columbus thru SW GA, then it will have some impact on travel north of Columbus...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived