Greenville County Museum of Art

gs3

An interesting article about the art being purchased by the Greenville County Museum of Art. The purchases of art by the Greenville Museum continue to lead museums in the state. The article list the major art buys for the past several years....some very notable. Great to see the continued growth of our museum. Could a new museum building be in the not too distant future?

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/loca...ory/343228.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see the continued growth of our museum. Could a new museum building be in the not too distant future?

I was left wondering the same thing. Could the current Greenville County Muesum of Art be converted into something else (a Science Museum, perhaps) and a new building be constructed near Heritage Green for the GCMA? That could potentially be pretty cool. I'm heading out to Denver this summer and I can't wait to see some DAM good art, there, but in particular I can't wait to see the building and the nearby residences that were inspired by the DAM's architecture.

:shok: JEALOUS!!! Very cool building!

It is a wicked cool structure...can't wait to see it!! There are a lot of neat buildings in Denver...and a couple more (Four Seasons Hotel/Residences, the Spire, etc.) going up. I plan to spend some time downtown with the camera while I'm out there. In fact, Mrs. RT is going to be hard-pressed to convince me to come home, I'm sure. :P

I would actually like to see Roper Mtn Science center expanded instead of converting this one. but I would like to see a new art museum constructed as well. Perhaps the current art museum could be converted into some sort of nature/"outdoor" museum for the area. The different floors could focus on different thigs, waterfalls, rivers, local plant life, local wildlife, etc. Less on the "science" side, and more on the interactive side. Patrons could test out kayaks in a small pool, handle reptiles, observe fish in an aquarium, and climb the rock wall that goes all the way down to the bottom floor in the middle (dreaming here). It could also serve as a great outdoor promotion for area sites and parks to tourists, showing what all there is to offer.

I would actually like to see Roper Mtn Science center expanded instead of converting this one. but I would like to see a new art museum constructed as well. Perhaps the current art museum could be converted into some sort of nature/"outdoor" museum for the area. The different floors could focus on different thigs, waterfalls, rivers, local plant life, local wildlife, etc. Less on the "science" side, and more on the interactive side. Patrons could test out kayaks in a small pool, handle reptiles, observe fish in an aquarium, and climb the rock wall that goes all the way down to the bottom floor in the middle (dreaming here). It could also serve as a great outdoor promotion for area sites and parks to tourists, showing what all there is to offer.

I had completely forgotten about Roper Mountain Science Center...never really thought of it as a "Museum of Science and Industry" type thing, I suppose.

You know...not a bad idea in the bunch really. Perhaps the current GCMA could be converted into this "GO! Center" if a new GCMA were constructed...

An interesting article about the art being purchased by the Greenville County Museum of Art. The purchases of art by the Greenville Museum continue to lead museums in the state. The article list the major art buys for the past several years....some very notable. Great to see the continued growth of our museum. Could a new museum building be in the not too distant future?

The current building is an award-winning architectural masterpiece, but perhaps a compatible addition could be designed and built on the property as needed. I think the location will eventually be great once the entire Heritage Green renaissance is complete. I would love to see a permanent farmers market (thinking moving the state farmers market from Rutherford Rd.) infused with local artists incorporated into that area someday as well, but only if fluid pedestrian accessibility/connectivity to and from Main Street is achieved. :shades:

The current building is an award-winning architectural masterpiece, but perhaps a compatible addition could be designed and built on the property as needed. I think the location will eventually be great once the entire Heritage Green renaissance is complete. I would love to see a permanent farmers market (thinking moving the state farmers market from Rutherford Rd.) infused with local artists incorporated into that area someday as well, but only if fluid pedestrian accessibility/connectivity to and from Main Street is achieved. :shades:

What year did the current building open? Any idea?

• 1 month later...

I'm planning on taking my daughter this weekend, if I can manage to find a couple of hours free with her. Does anyone know if they allow photography inside the museum? Some do, some don't. I see no photography policy mentioned on the GCMA's rather spartan web site.

I am thinking that they do not allow photography there, but I could be wrong. I have never tried to take photos there, so perhaps a phone call to them is your best bet. :thumbsup:

The current 80,000 sq. ft. Greenville Co. Museum opened in 1974. They officially began in 1963 and were originally housed in the eclectic Gassaway Mansion on Dupont Drive.

I have only been inside the Gassaway Mansion once. I kno wit is mostly used fro weddings, does it have other uses? I never hear anything about it in the community.

Has it (The Gassaway Mansion) always been in its current location? What exactly is the history of that place?

It was built in 1920 by Walter Gassaway, one of Greenville's big early 20th century businessmen, for his wife. His wife was the proprietor of the Ottaray Hotel (formerly where the Hyatt hotel now stands). Something really cool about the Gassaway mansion (originally called Isaqueena) is that the stones from Vardry McBee's c.1827 grist mill on the bank of the Reedy river falls were used to build the mansion after the mill was torn down. I don't know much about it since the museum left it, other than its been in private hands (rented out for various events and functions). It's on the National Register of Historic Places and has a page on that organization's website.

It was built in 1920 by Walter Gassaway, one of Greenville's big early 20th century businessmen, for his wife. His wife was the proprietor of the Ottaray Hotel (formerly where the Hyatt hotel now stands). Something really cool about the Gassaway mansion (originally called Isaqueena) is that the stones from Vardry McBee's c.1827 grist mill on the bank of the Reedy river falls were used to build the mansion after the mill was torn down. I don't know much about it since the museum left it, other than its been in private hands (rented out for various events and functions). It's on the National Register of Historic Places and has a page on that organization's website.

I know it has at times served as a private school and private residence as well.

I know it has at times served as a private school and private residence as well.

I have a very odd and fragmented memory of going their when I was in Kindergarden when it was still an Art Musuem. I think they showed up how paint could be made with eggs and we saw a puppet show (I think it was a Punch and Judy one) if I remember correctly. That was about 37 years ago so that's the best I can remember.

I am thinking that they do not allow photography there, but I could be wrong. I have never tried to take photos there, so perhaps a phone call to them is your best bet. :thumbsup:

I phoned the Museum Receptionist and asked about the photography policy and was told very bluntly "no photographs." So, there ya have it.

All the more reason I'm looking forward to visiting the DAM this summer...they're reasonable about photography.

• 9 months later...

OK ... I'm still bummed that photography isn't allowed in the museum, but I've got another concern now. The past few times I've been there, 3 of the 4 levels are closed. The only the 2 galleries on the 3rd level (the main level) are open and full of E. Ambrose Webster oil paintings. What's going on there, I wonder? Why such sparse offerings? Is the competition from Bob Jones hurting them somehow?

OK ... I'm still bummed that photography isn't allowed in the museum, but I've got another concern now. The past few times I've been there, 3 of the 4 levels are closed. The only the 2 galleries on the 3rd level (the main level) are open and full of E. Ambrose Webster oil paintings. What's going on there, I wonder? Why such sparse offerings? Is the competition from Bob Jones hurting them somehow?

The State newspaper had an article about Andrew Wyeth's death last week and the substantial collection of his work in the Greenville County Museum of Art. It said that this collection would be opening again soon to the public. It didn't say why it was closed off, but I'm assuming it's a part of the closing off that you're talking about. Rest assured, it should be reopening soon to the public if their information was correct...

The State newspaper had an article about Andrew Wyeth's death last week and the substantial collection of his work in the Greenville County Museum of Art. It said that this collection would be opening again soon to the public. It didn't say why it was closed off, but I'm assuming it's a part of the closing off that you're talking about. Rest assured, it should be reopening soon to the public if their information was correct...

That's what I was wondering ... perhaps they've got those other levels roped off and closed in preparation for displaying his works. It would make sense, but it's just a bummer that it's been thta way the past couple of times I've been there. The Webster paintings were a joy, though. If you've never seen Webster's work, you should. It's interesting how the style morphed from the whimsical strokes to the geometric shapes (almost Picasso-like), but pretty much kept to the same colors/hues throughout Webster's life.

Oddly enough, I have seen good photography at the GCMA in the past. Why would they not allow it? Would it not be worth their investment to open a rotating photography exhibition?

Yes, I find it odd, too. It's not unusual, though. The museums that do allow photography usually even denote very specific items (usually ones that are not part of their permanent collection) which should not be photographed. The Denver Art Museum used color-coded stickers on the title cards. One would think that any museum could employ a similar practice, but I suppose it's up to their discretion whether they wish to allow photographs or not. That stairwell at the GCMoA, alone, is worthy of some photos.

• 3 years later...

The Museum has aquired 11 more of Andrew Wyeth's paintings. A great collection just keeps getting better!

The is not only arguably the "best" collection of his works, but it is the largest collection of his works in any public museum in the world. GCMoA has 45 of his landscapes and portraits.

Archived