Little Rock Schools

turboturtle

I was really short on time when I posted about LR Central earlier this morning. I see LR Central getting ranked very highly. I was curious as to what really helps set it apart from other schools in the state. Mills came in pretty high as well at 111th. Then a couple of NWA schools showed up between 450 and 550. I'm not too familiar with the LR schools and was just curious to find out what Central has going for it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cause Central High ROCKS! Go Tigers! Whoooo Hoooo!

I only looked at the rankings on the link you posted... There is a little plus sign (+) next to the schools who were previously listed. If you clickety-click the (+), you see the years the school made the list and what the prior rank was. Central fell from the 20s to 36. But, it looks like it had more to do with other schools performing better, not Central performing worse. (If that doesn't make sense to someone, then go look before you question it).

As far as what measurements are aggregated to determine the overall performance score, Newsweek should provide that information somewhere. I'm sure there are flaws in it. But, schools that make the list regularly probably have something real going for them. I'm not capable of giving you an unbiased answer. My blood is black and gold.

Anecdotally, I know a Director of Admissions who was determined that the children go to Central High because the school has high recognition and a strong reputation in college and university admissions offices nationally.

I was really short on time when I posted about LR Central earlier this morning. I see LR Central getting ranked very highly. I was curious as to what really helps set it apart from other schools in the state. Mills came in pretty high as well at 111th. Then a couple of NWA schools showed up between 450 and 550. I'm not too familiar with the LR schools and was just curious to find out what Central has going for it.

The rankings are based on AP and International Baccalaureate programs, though Central is usually ranked pretty highly regardless of the standard.

I'm not a Central grad but I think very highly of the place. It's got history that is rare in a high school - it was built in 1932 and the architecture won many national awards. It was the largest high school in the nation from then until the early 1960s and the largest in Arkansas until 1991. It was the winningest large high school in the country for three decades and was named the top football program nationally multiple times. It has more titles in nearly every sport than any other state school and such a commanding lead in football nobody will ever touch it. Because of what happened 50 years ago it is a National Historic Landmark and also functions as a museum while still operating as a school. It has a variety of international programs and foreign languages ranging from Chinese to Portuguese. The strength of the school is one of the most reknowned AP programs in the country. I was told once it sent more kids to Ivy League schools than all of the other public schools in the state combined.

Archived