New Freeway to Connect Michigan to Myrtle Beach, SC

OneSweetWorld

WZZM Article

" MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - State officials can begin buying land for a new interstate that will one day connect Myrtle Beach with Michigan. "

From Interstate-guide.com:

" In Michigan, Interstate 73 is proposed to follow U.S. 223 northwest from Toledo to Adrian, then turn north along U.S. 127 through Lansing to Interstate 75. Interstate 73 would then run tandem with Interstate 75 from Grayling north to Sault Ste. Marie, but it is unclear if it would actually be signed all the way to Canada. Most of this corridor is already freeway, except for U.S. 223. "

Here is where it looks like the extentions in the Lower Peninsula will happen:

Untitled-2.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think theres any reason to go further north with US-131. We drive from Grand Rapids to Kalkaska every other weekend because of a custody arrangement and there really is no need for it to go further north. Once you hit to 2-lane highway, traffic is so minimal that the passing lanes provide all thats needed. The majority of the traffic turns off to go to Traverse City anyway.. which is like 5 minutes past the end of the 'freeway'.

I did attend Adrian College for 2 years and drove that stretch from Jackson to Adrian on a regular basis. That being freeway speeds will be a HUGE improvement! That stretch of road was terrible when getting behind semi's. Providing a quick and easy access to travel SouthEast from Lansing will be a nice alternative to driving East to 23 then south

I don't think theres any reason to go further north with US-131. We drive from Grand Rapids to Kalkaska every other weekend because of a custody arrangement and there really is no need for it to go further north. Once you hit to 2-lane highway, traffic is so minimal that the passing lanes provide all thats needed. The majority of the traffic turns off to go to Traverse City anyway.. which is like 5 minutes past the end of the 'freeway'.

I don't particularly think we need any more interstate freeways in Michigan. The Nation's Interstate Freeway system is essentially complete and any further developments are usually beltways which just contribute to sprawl. Let's use that money to fund education or mass transit or better yet, to fix the roads we have.

Please note I'm talking about interstates, there are still some gaps in Michigan's highway network, though I'm not sure they all need to be build to freeway standards.

Well that depends. If certain state routes structured as freeways (such as 127) receive interstate designation, would that mean the fed gov pays for them now instead of the state? Seems like a good deal to me.

I always wished M-14 could become an interstate spur, which means vast ramp improvements around Ann Arbor.

I don't get this proposal at all. What exactly is the benefit? So that there is a highway from Toledo straight to Lansing? Other than that, all the infrastructure is already there. I guess if it means the current Lansing legislators have a quicker exit out of the State, it would be a good idea. :)

I was not aware that some of the new interstates were not federally funded, maybe they are tollways?

Anyways to me this seems a little unessesary but if its federally funded it could only help the state. The only real benifits would prolly be traffic between Toledo and Jackson, since 23/96 goes to lansing already.

I can not understand why 131 is not a limited access freeway to 80/90. To me that seems like a mush more significant route. It should I-67 and could possibly run all the way down to Indy. Theres not always a lot of traffic north of caddilac ,but if PA can get I-99 (not in numerical system with the rest of the interstates) in the middle of the state to nowhere? There is a pretty big gap between I-65 and I-69, making it an interstate would do more than just a US highway would. Many businesses sprount aroudn interstates only.

Archived