Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

I wanted to give you guys a little of what is going on as far as College and University expansion in Nashville. I have not included all of the smaller 2 year school or any schools out side of Nashville except for the FWBB College expansion. There are a lot of continuing education colleges that have located in Nashville in the last five years that is not here either. There is a lot of expansion going on at MTSU as well. I have no idea of what is happening up at Austin P. either. Feel free to add any projects you know about. It

Good thread smeagolsfree.

Here is a link to a thread on the Murfreesboro forum discussing some construction/expansion on MTSU's campus. It's kind of old though. I'll try to dig up some stuff.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Murfrees...pus-t28546.html

Here's another I found.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/MTSU-pro...su+construction

I'm pretty sure there is a new health center u/c next to the recreation center and baseball stadium renovations.

Edited by timmay143

I recently attended the expansion meeting. There are many many plans for this campus. The older buildings such as Peck Hall and the photo shop will be demolished. The KOM will be updated, gutted and turned into office space for the department heads. There are plans to make the campus green and much more pedestrian friendly. Parking garages are also finally apart of the plan. I have the master plans, but I need to find a scanner large enough to post it online.

I recently attended the expansion meeting. There are many many plans for this campus. The older buildings such as Peck Hall and the photo shop will be demolished. The KOM will be updated, gutted and turned into office space for the department heads. There are plans to make the campus green and much more pedestrian friendly. Parking garages are also finally apart of the plan. I have the master plans, but I need to find a scanner large enough to post it online.

I can't imagine Peck Hall will be demolished anytime soon, as dire as the need for classroom space and the Governor postponing state funding of the badly needed Science Building, and especially just finishing doing some construction work to bring Peck in line with ADA requirements, IIRC.

Anyway here is a PDF of the draft of the campus master plan. Note the six multi-level parking decks in this plan:

campus master plan draft

Also here is an article from The Record about the proposed campus master plan:

Growth plans to be shared with campus, neighbors

I can't imagine Peck Hall will be demolished anytime soon, as dire as the need for classroom space and the Governor postponing state funding of the badly needed Science Building, and especially just finishing doing some construction work to bring Peck in line with ADA requirements, IIRC.

Anyway here is a PDF of the draft of the campus master plan. Note the six multi-level parking decks in this plan:

campus master plan draft

Also here is an article from The Record about the proposed campus master plan:

Growth plans to be shared with campus, neighbors

Thank you so much for posting this!

Here's an Austin Peay update...

1. A new village style housing complex will be built near the Dunn Center, to be completed by 2011. At that point, three of our older dorms (Killebrew, Cross and Rawlins) will be demolished and a new village complex will be built on those sites as well.

2. The Dunn Center has just completed major renovations over the past few years. All news seats, floors, new jumbotrons, sound system, weight room and academic area.

3. The lower floor of the University Center, previously unfinished, is set to be completed for various student uses this year.

4. Our new outdoor pool is being completed currently.

5. The McReynolds Building is starting renovation, to be completed soon.

6. Rumored major upgrades to the baseball stadium are in the works.

7. Trahern Fine Arts Building and the Library are set for major renovations in the next 3-5 years.

8. New skyboxes are in the works for Governors Stadium.

So, not nearly as much as MTSU, Memphis or UT, but APSU has really seen a boom over the last 5 years and we look to grow even more. And here's our Master Plan (caution: its a big PDF file)

Edited by miami1855

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Belmont continues to expand with a new parking garage and new Pharmacy School.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../810290350/1553

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...27/daily10.html

I saw a rendering on channel 5 but I could not copy it. Here is a link to their news story with a rendering.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/video/f...mp;rnd=17507314

For Nashville to become a first-class city, I believe having great colleges in the downtown area is a must. Nashville is lucky to have Vanderbilt and Belmont so close to downtown, and TSU not far away. The jobs and students make the urban core of Nashville so much better. I hope college expansions continue for a long time.

Let's not forget Lipscomb University and Trevecca. Lipscomb has been constantly building onto the campus, and they also recently started a pharmacy school there as well. I like the president's motto "Building Lipscomb is building Nashville" or "Building Nashville by building Lipscomb" or something like that. I can't remember it or find it! I just know that the new president likes building. That place has changed since my middle school, high school, and brief university days. It is hard to recognize the place anymore.

Also Trevecca took out a permit to build a new student center

Work starts on Trevecca student center

The following permits were among those issued Monday by the Metro Codes Administration:

Student center. Value: $3.6 million. American Constructors Inc. took out a permit to build a 13,900-square-foot Student Success Center at 75 Lester Ave. for Trevecca University.

edit: ooo I found it, "Building in Nashville, Impacting the World."

Edited by timmay143

I just wish Lipscomb was closer to downtown... and same with Trevecca. Lipscomb has a beautiful campus, but I wish it was maybe on the East Bank where the PSC metals is....

I have not seen Trevecca but would Love to have them downtown as well.

Young college kids really help a downtown's vibrancy. They live on or near campus, their residence pushes the need for more retail, restaurants, etc. and they tend to be more willing to use public transportation.

I'm just holding up hope that Vanderbilt and Belmont will work with private developers to implement lightrail/streetcars throughout downtown someday!

Edited by nashvylle

As happy as I was to see the new public library built downtown, I was saddened that it meant the move of Watkins College of Art out to Metro Center. It was a great shot of young energy to see those art students coming and going to classes. I whole heartedly agree that that youthful energy is a great addition to a downtown. Maybe some of the local institutions will see a need to add a downtown campus for an urban studies institute or some such program. We can dream, eh?

I just wish Lipscomb was closer to downtown... and same with Trevecca. Lipscomb has a beautiful campus, but I wish it was maybe on the East Bank where the PSC metals is....

I have not seen Trevecca but would Love to have them downtown as well.

Young college kids really help a downtown's vibrancy. They live on or near campus, their residence pushes the need for more retail, restaurants, etc. and they tend to be more willing to use public transportation.

I'm just holding up hope that Vanderbilt and Belmont will work with private developers to implement lightrail/streetcars throughout downtown someday!

The schools are not that far from DT. I think it is adding a lot of core density for sure. If you go up 17th from the roundabout to Magnolia, you are at Belmont. That is maybe a mile. With Music Row, there is a lot of density for sure.

Funny thing when I was driving for a Limo service taking crews to the Holiday Inn @ Vandy, I was asked more than twice if that was DT. Nashville has a whole lot of density just outside of the DT area and the lines can get crossed, especially going down west end to make people think that the West End area is an extension of DT.

I am very grateful for Belmont and Vandy's location, because I consider them to be in the overall core of downtown Nashville. I hope in the future, maybe with a new convention center and hotel, hopefully a new sounds stadium, and projects such as Signature Tower and projects in the Gulch and Midtown such as 1201 & Demonbreun and maybe West End Summit, Nashville's current downtown will be completely connected to Sobro, The Gulch, Music Row, and West End- all making one huge urban environment (all connected by lightrail/streetcar of course).

PSC metals pays more property taxes than Lipscomb, so PSC gets to choose their location first...

Free-loaders like Lipscomb can go to the back of the line...

• 3 weeks later...

Aquinas College to expand with new structures and dorms.

The first is a Tennessean article that will time out and the next from the Aquinas web site. Looks to be a good addition to the growing Bel Meade area.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081122/NEWS04/811220336

http://www.aquinascollege.edu/community/ne...nouncementID=44

I am glad to see that many of the Nashville colleges and universities are growing and expanding. 95% growth in enrollment is great for any school.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Lipscomb University is growing like a weed.

Lipscomb University President L. Randolph Lowry will preside over groundbreaking for the James D. Hughes Center, Friday, Dec. 4, at 1 p.m. in the parking area behind Crisman Administration Building. The new 25,300-square-foot arts and engineering building that will mark the beginning of a new phase of Lipscomb development that moves north beyond its long-time campus footprint.

The three-story building, which will be constructed using green methods and materials, is scheduled for completion in fall, 2010.

Link to Lipscomb University new building groundbreaking