Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

On 7/12/2018 at 5:00 AM, markhollin said:

Belmont University Bruin Hills Dorm (11 stories, 600 units) update.  All exterior work complete.  Quite handsome structure. Landscaping in front courtyard underway which will include a water feature. 

Yes to water features, something this city has far too few of.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The new building is really meant for upperclassmen, but I totally know what you mean. Having a one bedroom penthouse seems a bit riduclous and can totally cut one off from having a “real” college experience.  That being said, I really like what the building adds to the campus with the height and all. 

• Like 3

Vanderbilt plans to "try" raising funds for a new stadium. Sorry, but even the headline reflects their lack of commitment. Folks, as an alum this sticks in my crawl. They need to sh*t or get off the pot. Zeppos is a buffoon anyway, but athletics is obviously NOT a priority for him. I met him at an event a few years ago to recognize my boss and the guy was goofy as hell. Not impressed. And just looking at the guy it's obvious he does not value athletics. 

I've mentioned TCU as a model for Vandy. But heck, even Duke has built a respectable football program. The commitment is just not there at VU.  I've been to many more Duke football games over the past 7 years than to Vandy... and Duke is a lot harder to get to from here. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2018/08/17/vanderbilt-football-stadium-nicholas-zeppos/1021911002/

6 hours ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

That's entirely one of reasons I respect Vandy more than my own alma mater of UT. It's an academic institution that has some student athletics, not a minor league football team with an attached school.

Then they should get out of the SEC and stop taking the $40 Million +/year  share they get from TV contracts / bowl splits / etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

Or they can stay and get the $40 million+/year share they get from TV contracts/bowl splits/etc.

And still focus on academics.

Who says you can't focus on academics and actually accept donations from alumni to improve your facilities up to SEC standards?  It's pompous to think it has to be one way or the other (as some Vandy higher-ups act).  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, titanhog said:

Who says you can't focus on academics and actually accept donations from alumni to improve your facilities up to SEC standards?  It's pompous to think it has to be one way or the other (as some Vandy higher-ups act).  

Maybe UT( I went there as well) should leave the SEC since the quality of their program has been Vandy level for a number of years. Think of the number of dollars wasted fielding UT teams over the past decade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Belmont University is adding a major new performing arts center on campus.  Here is the press release.

http://news.belmont.edu/belmont-university-announces-newest-building-project-world-class-performing-arts-center/

Wow! Pretty building. Thanks for the tip. (Just remembered you have a child at BU)

Belmont-University-Performing-Arts-Center-Rendering.jpg?resize=650%2C276

Looks like they'll have to take out a handful of classic foursquares and (sob) International Market.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Those really are some nice residential structures that are being taken out by this. I would much rather see this put on the lot that is at the corner of Bernard Ave and 15th (granted the footprint would be much smaller.

Also, from the rendering, I feel like the streetscape would need to be much softer than this or at least communicate better communicate with the patio/plaza space for the eating options. The end that will be close to the residential homes needs to speak more towards a residential streetscape.

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1