Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I mean, Lipscomb is Church of Christ affiliated which is one of the most conservative brands of Protestantism out there, what did you expect?  Not too long ago they would hold your degree for drinking alcohol, even if you were of age.  LOL 

Getting caught smoking or any other tobacco products wasn't far behind either!  However, the architecture does kind of fit the place.

6 hours ago, PHofKS said:

And worst of all, no PDA's!! As I found out many, many years ago.

PDA = Public Display of Affection

I played basketball in the Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference (AIC), which used to be NAIA (same size as Belmont and Lipscomb).  Our football team would play Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas...and they are C of Christ affiliated.  I went to a football game when our team was playing them...and I wore shorts.  Some lady came up to me and told me I would have to change or they'd ask me to leave.  I went and talked with a security guy and he told me not to worry about it...that there were some of the older crowd who tried to impose their own dress codes on visiting teams' fans.  That lady eyeballed me the whole game. :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Connecting conservative Protestants to bland architecture just doesn't work.  There are many, many examples throughout history of the opposite being true.

If you sign an agreement with the school that states the terms of getting a degree from that institution, then you are obligated to abide by those rules if you want the degree.

Do you have any specific examples of other CoC institutions that have not conservative architecture?

Not disagreeing with their right to impose whatever (lame af) rules they want, just highlighting another way they are extremely conservative.

11 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Do you have any specific examples of other CoC institutions that have not conservative architecture?

Not disagreeing with their right to impose whatever (lame af) rules they want, just highlighting another way they are extremely conservative.

I'm not CoC and am not familiar with the history of their educational institutions and church construction.  When designing and building a new facility, nonprofits and for-profits have the same issue: money.  Vanderbilt has a multi-billion dollar endowment and some extremely wealthy donors that enable them to buy expensive real estate and build beautiful buildings.  Belmont has done quite well in this area despite their puny endowment.  Without a large endowment and big donor base, Lipscomb can't match those two schools.  It has nothing to do with "conservative" or "Protestant" and everything to do with money.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Vandy also graduates students much smarter than the average university. Students who go on to make a lot of money. I am sure most of them are fine being on this list

My satire had zero to do with the intellect of Vanderbilt students.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Pepperdine University is affiliated with CofC and it's a beautiful campus, owing mostly to its hilly setting beside the Pacific; however the buildings are not bland. 

Pepperdine is constantly ranked the "Most Beautiful Campus in America" by various polls/articles. A buddy who went there said a few professors would tell them to just meet down at the beach for class. I was jealous!!

I think Vanderbilt is a beautiful example of a "Collegiate Gothic" campus, which is rooted in the Tudor style. This new expansion along West End is going to look spectacular to passers-by.

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 3

The lobby levels with the grand pianos and the big windows overlooking West End are (were) pretty cool. I lived in T1 in a suite... and it was okay for the times. Actually pretty big for a dorm at the time. It was very austere, but of course, the girls next door had their place looking like a Park Avenue penthouse. Part of me will be sad to see them go... part of me won't... and then most of me is still scratching my head that Vandy has to spend so much money just for better accommodations for GenZ?!? Really!?  

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

Shinn Center at David Lipscomb Univ. (2 stories, 33,000 sq. ft.) update.  Superstructure topped out.

Looking NE from near intersection of Belmont Blvd. and Green Hills Dr:

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 4.43.14 AM.png

UGH, this pic proves  David Libscomb University is continuing its tradition of bland, boring,  cheaply constructed church-inspired architecture.

• Like 1

Austin Peay State University set a record enrollment this fall with 10,954 students.

That was a 4.7 percent increase compared to the figure of the fall semester 2017, which allowed APSU to far outpace other state public universities in year-to-year percentage growth, according to a release.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/odds-ends/article/21034692/of-note-5-december-2018

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

APSU has the best cheer in college, "Let's go, Peay!"

When the great Brooklyn recruit Fly Williams played, the APSU fans had a banner revealed at the 1973 Regionals that said, "The Fly is open, let's go Peay"' It was briefly shown on national television.

I was there and watched us miss a shot at the buzzer that would have beaten Kentucky and put us up against Indiana  to see who would go to the Final Four.  Great team!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2018 at 9:11 AM, PHofKS said:

When the great Brooklyn recruit Fly Williams played, the APSU fans had a banner revealed at the 1973 Regionals that said, "The Fly is open, let's go Peay"' It was briefly shown on national television.

I was there and watched us miss a shot at the buzzer that would have beaten Kentucky and put us up against Indiana  to see who would go to the Final Four.  Great team!!!

Also, "open up the Fly, let's go PEAY!"

• Like 2

Belmont University Performing Arts Center (1,700 seats) update. Razing of  of homes continues.  8 have come down so far.  3 more along Belmont Blvd. to go. This thing is going to be huge.

Looking SW down the hill from Bernard Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Hall, Dec 2, 2018, site 1.jpg

Looking south down the hill from Bernard Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Hall, Dec 2, 2018, site 2.jpg

Looking east up the hill from near intersection of Belmont blvd. and Compton Ave:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Hall, Dec 2, 2018, site 3.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...