Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

Austin Peay is in the midst of two big construction projects currently.

1. The new Chemical Engineering Technology building (ChET for short), which is being funded by a grant the state, will train workers for various ChET jobs, including workers for the new $2 billion Hemlock Semiconductor plant. You can see a live Web cam here.

2. New 450 bed residence halls are being constructed on the north side of campus. Web cam to come shortly.

Thanks for sharing miami1855. Do you know if Austin Peay has a accredited engineering program? I could look it up myself, but I wanted to make conversation. I know MTSU doesn't. They just have technology degrees. I am not sure why they don't try to get accreditation and start an engineering school there. I was just wondering if AP had a similar program or a engineering school there. I say the more the better. I would like to see more schools develop an engineering program in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe so. I think all of our degree programs are in various areas of engineering technology.

It would be nice to have, though.

Thanks for sharing miami1855. Do you know if Austin Peay has a accredited engineering program? I could look it up myself, but I wanted to make conversation. I know MTSU doesn't. They just have technology degrees. I am not sure why they don't try to get accreditation and start an engineering school there. I was just wondering if AP had a similar program or a engineering school there. I say the more the better. I would like to see more schools develop an engineering program in the area.

I don't believe so. I think all of our degree programs are in various areas of engineering technology.

It would be nice to have, though.

Thanks Miami. I agree it would be nice to see MTSU and AP pick up accredited Engineering schools. The more the better I say! Maybe one day when I make my billion dollars and start the University of Nashville, I can help out around the state too!:silly:

Caught this in the Tennessean:

Green Hills Slideshow

Construction work is under way for the $4 million visual arts building at Lipscomb University. The James D. Hughes Center will include a spacious gallery, numerous studios and the latest computers for graphic design. Construction is scheduled to wrap up by the fall. The Hughes project is a part of the university's next phase in building out the northern side of campus, extending to Grandview Drive.

Aquinas College overcrowded and is looking to raise $40 million for expansion.

From the Tennessean:

Nashville's Aquinas College to expand

Fundraising efforts require $40 million for first phase

BY NATALIA MIELCZAREK • THE TENNESSEAN • JANUARY 15, 2010

Aquinas College has been turning students away because of cramped quarters.

The list of applicants for the nursing program is twice as long as the list of available spaces, school officials said. There are waiting lists. The four-year Catholic college on West End near Belle Meade is now fundraising to get $40 million and kick off the first phase of a massive expansion that would eventually double the number of students and buildings and transform the school into a residential college.

Although Aquinas College has embarked on extensive remodeling projects over the years, the last new construction on the 84-acre campus dates back to 1976, officials said. Its nursing program, which has become its staple in the community, received 772 applications for the 2009-10 academic years, a jump from 330 in the 2001-02 year, according to school numbers.

Link to article Nashville's Aquinas College to expand

Edited by timmay143

Nossi College of Art and Goodpasture are planning some collaborations between the two schools with information about Nossi's expansion.

Nossi College, Goodpasture plan partnership

BY ANDY HUMBLES • THE TENNESSEAN • JANUARY 18, 2010

Madison neighbors Nossi College of Art and Goodpasture Christian School are planning partnerships in the new year, likely to begin in the fall semester of 2010.

The new 55,000-square-foot building that Nossi is constructing on nearly 10 acres is just behind Goodpasture, an independent K-12 school.

“We think it will be a great addition to the Madison community,’’ Goodpasture president Ricky Perry said.

“They have some state-of-the-art facilities, and we hope we can use some of their technology for our upper level art students. And, we think we have some facilities they can utilize.’’

Perry talked about making Goodpasture’s renovated 1,200-seat auditorium available to Nossi for bigger events, such as graduations or displays.

Nossi College, Goodpasture plan partnership

Edited by timmay143

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Union University, a Christian affiliate that is based in Jackson, TN, is planning to open a campus in Hendersonville.

Union University plans $6M Hendersonville campus

Facility will be Sumner's first permanent university

BY TENA LEE • HENDERSONVILLE STAR NEWS • NOVEMBER 11, 2010

University campus to house 750 students

$6M campus planned near Indian Lake Village

BY TENA LEE • HENDERSONVILLE STAR NEWS • NOVEMBER 16, 2010

UnionUniversityHendersonvilleCampusrendering.jpg

Edited by timmay143

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for Nashville State and possibly Hickory Hollow. Enough funds are available to build a satellite campus in Antioch. Looking at old Best Buy store? I didn't realize this wasn't there anymore. Anyways this is a great reuse of old vacant buildings like this as a similar project in Knoxville happened where South College leased part of the vacant Goody's HQ building.

(Channel 4)

Nashville State Gets Funding For New Campus

Community College Wants Antioch Satellite Campus

Doubt this would ever happened, but it would be nice to see NSCC develop into a respectable University of Nashville!!!

Edited by timmay143

Good news for Nashville State and possibly Hickory Hollow. Enough funds are available to build a satellite campus in Antioch. Looking at old Best Buy store? I didn't realize this wasn't there anymore. Anyways this is a great reuse of old vacant buildings like this as a similar project in Knoxville happened where South College leased part of the vacant Goody's HQ building.

(Channel 4)

Nashville State Gets Funding For New Campus

Community College Wants Antioch Satellite Campus

Doubt this would ever happened, but it would be nice to see NSCC develop into a respectable University of Nashville!!!

The Best Buy store they're talking about was their old location off of Hickory Hollow Pkwy (across from Freeland Chevrolet) as they had recently moved closer to the mall and I-24. Should be interesting how they convert a former big-box into classroom space (much like Union University did to an old Circuit City store in Jackson).

Edited by James Owen

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The new training faciltiy at Vandy is supposed to start construction next month according to publications there and the Post had an article as well.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2012/8/30/vu_rec_center_expansion_a_go

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2012/08/multipurpose-facility-fundraising-reached/

• 5 months later...

Two new construction projects for Belmont.

"At a recent meeting of the Belmont Board of Trust, two major constructions projects were approved for immediate action.  The first building will provide space for a new cafeteria and will include substantial space for academic classrooms and offices.  The second major project will be the construction of a new residence hall.

The new cafeteria will be a part of a four-story, 120,000 square foot building on 15th Avenue between the Baskin Center and Kennedy Hall.  The cafeteria will have a seating capacity that is more than 2.5 times as large as the current seating space in the Gabhart Student Center.  Classrooms and faculty/staff offices will comprise approximately 70% of the building.  The building will be accompanied by the construction of a 1,000 space underground parking garage that will be accessed at the corner of 15thand Caldwell.  Construction will begin almost immediately with completion expected for the opening of the fall semester of 2015.

As a part of our continuing effort to provide on-campus living experiences, a 418 space residence hall with a mix of suite-style and apartment-style rooms will be constructed on the east side of 15th Avenue across from Kennedy Hall.  The 141,000 square foot, six story building will also include 354 additional parking spaces in a garage adjacent to the Thrailkill Parking Garage.  To achieve these new spaces, an additional floor will be added to the Thrailkill Garage this summer.  Construction is expected to begin in March, and the residences should be ready for occupancy by fall of 2014.  Pre-construction soil testing is already beginning to take place for this structure."

Article on Belmont's expansion plans from last spring... 

The map is already out of date now that the Law School is complete, and WWAB is underway, but it shows the zoning allowed in the various locations. And then there will be the two buildings starting soon.

http://belmontvision.com/2012/04/lots-of-land-belmont-continues-campus-expansion/

And check out this map of the properties that the university owns.  http://batchgeo.com/map/28f8f05878b2e5df88b3e20055f3c2d1

mapart.jpg

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/2/8/belmont_preps_for_next_construction_round

Edited by MLBrumby