Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:16 AM, markhollin said:

The handsome new dorm at Aquinas College. Looking south from athletic field at back of campus:

Aquinas College dormitory 1, Jan 2017.JPG

Looking east from near softball field on west side of campus:Aquinas College dormitory 2, Jan 2017.JPG

So six months after building this beautiful building, Trevecca is now on the verge of collapse.  I saw their billboard on I-65 heading towards downtown from Brentwood last night saying Trevecca is Middle Tennessee's "fastest growing university."  What on earth happened?  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2017/03/10/facing-problems-aquinas-college-shrink-dramatically/99000064/

5 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

So six months after building this beautiful building, Trevecca is now on the verge of collapse.  I saw their billboard on I-65 heading towards downtown from Brentwood last night saying Trevecca is Middle Tennessee's "fastest growing university."  What on earth happened?  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2017/03/10/facing-problems-aquinas-college-shrink-dramatically/99000064/

That's Aquinas.

22 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

ha  Oops.  I meant Aquinas, sorry about that.  Forget about the Trevecca billboard.

So, what happened to Aquinas??  If they were losing $3 million, why would they build a $9 million dorm?

Yeah...that's really weird.  Maybe it's because of the dorm that they're going broke? :tw_grimace:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Travecca University is going to merge/absorb Eastern Nazarene College outside of Boston.  Could add a bit more to their substantial growth over the last decade (they've grown from about 2,000 up to over 3,200 students in the past ten years).

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/03/27/nashville-college-set-for-merger.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tennessee State's president announced in a strategic planning session with faculty and administrators, plans to build two new academic buildings and two new residence halls as part of physical campus expansion.  I'll see if I can find out more details for each.  All that I know at this point is one of the academic buildings will be a new College of Engineering and the other will be for Health and Sciences.  A previous announcement regarding the residence halls was that each would be approximately 100K square feet.  Hopefully renderings and more details will come soon.

There are also plans to redesign the entrance into the main campus.  The issue with the entrance to the TSU campus is that it can only be done on one side of the street because there's an two very ugly Marathon gas stations on the other side of John Merritt Blvd that unless TSU buys that property, they will not be able to do anything about.  Right now the TSU entrance wall is at 29th and JMB.  29th is pretty much like an alley that runs between the two Marathon gas stations.  The only thing that could improve the visual of a redesigned entrance would be to move it further east and construct it in the curve that connects Ed Temple Blvd (28th Ave N.) to John Merritt Blvd.  Or to work with the city to do away with the island at that intersection, redesign the intersection to be all underground utilities and do a nice entrance that includes a fountain.  At least that way the visual is better and it won't include the gas stations.

• Like 4

I miss the old Watkins on Church Street also. When I was 19 years old I took art classes at night there from a charismatic teacher named Gus Baker. The old building had no air conditioning and the students would open the windows and sit øn the ledges during break, trying to catch a breeze. Or we would go down to Candyland for a treat and watch Gus demonstrate his cross-hatch technique. He had a beautifully furnished apartment above Emma's Flower Shop where he invited us for a party. In my young life I had never seen anything like it. He played classical music on his baby grand, recited poetry from memory and showed us his paintings which were all over the walls. I was not into alcohol, so he fixed me a drink which looked like it could be an alcoholic drink and told me not to tell anyone. And Florence was there. 61 years ago I was in love with Florence.

• Like 4