Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

I lived in a suite in Carmichael 1 and yes, it was a typical slum apartment. Cinder block walls, institutional beige, low-loop carpeting, aluminum frame windows. Ah, home sweet home. 

I admit that the lobby area was fairly attractive (for 28 years ago) but when I visited about 10 years ago, it looked drab. 

I hope the new design will have several points of connection between West End and the higher ground on the south side of the building. Like open stairs/plazas between buildings. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

TSU recently unveiled a rendering of the new Health Sciences Building to be built on the main campus.  The building is still in the design phase.  It will be 120,000 square feet.  I wish there were more renderings to get a better idea of the design but I guess once the final design is approved there will be additional renderings released.  Still no news on the two new dorms that are also in the design phase.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-08-at-4.37.26-PM.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

TSU recently unveiled a rendering of the new Health Sciences Building to be built on the main campus.  The building is still in the design phase.  It will be 120,000 square feet.  I wish there were more renderings to get a better idea of the design but I guess once the final design is approved there will be additional renderings released.  Still no news on the two new dorms that are also in the design phase.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-08-at-4.37.26-PM.png

Where on campus would this be built? 

12 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Where on campus would this be built? 

The release didn't say.  Some have speculated that it will be on the southwest side of the campus.  That would be on a hill that is bound by Clare Ave. and Albion Street.  That entire portion of the campus was purchased as buffer between the university and what used to be a massive housing project.  Most of it slops downwards to Albion and 38th.  But there is portion that is relative flat and sits behind a dorm and is adjacent to the Music Bldg and Performing Arts Center.  It's also possible that it could be built on the open land near the presidents home that is bound by John Merritt Blvd and Ed Temple Blvd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 8:47 AM, markhollin said:

Belmont University's Bruins Hill Dorm (11 stories, 600 units) update. Bricks starting to go on, windows installed.

You can see this building from really far away in many directions. Coming up I-65 it is easily visible. Cant wait to see it completed and appearing as a castle-like beacon.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's an updated and better rendering of the new TSU Health Sciences Building to be built.  According to the update given by TSU's president in a recent Board of Governors meeting, it will be built between the TSU Campus Police Station and the Women's Bldg (one of the older and original buildings remaining on campus).  So, it's not a location that will be visible from riding around the campus unless you happen to enter from the west side and turn on 37th Street.  This is a site where a dorm for women used to sit that had just been given historic status (during the 80s') and the State of TN was in the process of approving funds to renovate/restore it both the interior and exterior.  Ironically, right before the State was to approve the funds, the building was torched.  There was much speculation and later it was proved to be arson.   The State's funding was contingent upon the dorm being declared an historical building  because some lawmakers didn't want to approve the funding at all.    The building was primarily wood and in its hay day was considered a gem for the TSU campus.  It sat next to the Women's Bldg and across from the original library (still standing) which sits directly across from the original Administration Building.

5ab13a0ac8e1e_TSUHealthSciencesBldg-Rendering.PNG.9ebac25553a21e7f64096ec790a449c6.PNG  5ab13becae8e7_SiteLocationforTSUHealthScienceBldg.thumb.PNG.9c8be33e8bae98aaf91c8da07e50f1fe.PNG

Additionally, TSU's president reported that the school anticipated breaking ground on the two new dorms in 2018.  Still no renderings and or site announced.  There are also plans to build an Alumni Hall/Visitors Welcome Center and there are plans to build a Food Sciences Building.  TSU also reported that they are in the process of acquiring additional real estate in the TSU area.  

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

TSU News Service issued an announcement on April 19th that construction on five new buildings will begin in October of 2018.  All but one of the projects have been funded.  The one project that has not been funded is in the design phase.  Here's what appears to be the final rendering of the approved Health Sciences Building.

image.thumb.png.bb8f8a117789b5213bf899076cf334f5.png

The TSU campus construction projects will include the following:

• The new Health Sciences Building is funded and in-design. The estimated cost of the project is $38.8 million. Groundbreaking is anticipated to occur in October 2018. The estimated completion date of the project is August 2020.
  • Two new residence halls are funded and the design team has been selected. The estimated project cost is $75.2 million. Groundbreaking could occur as early as October 2018. The estimated completion date of the project is August 2020.
  • The Field Research Organic Laboratory has received funding and is in-design. The estimated cost of the project is $340,000. Groundbreaking is anticipated to be in October 2018. The estimated completion date of the project is December 2019.
  • The Gateway Arch has been funded and currently in-design. The estimated cost of the project is $650,000. Groundbreaking is anticipated to be in October 2018. The estimated completion date of the project is August 2019.
  • The Alumni House and Welcome Center is currently in the development phase. The estimated cost of the project is $1 million. Although the project is in the planning phase, a groundbreaking could occur as early as January 2018, with a possible completion date of August 2020.

Here's the actual news release:  TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY LANDSCAPE TO CHANGE IN UPCOMING MONTHS WITH CONSTRUCTION OF FIVE NEW BUILDINGS

The Health Sciences Building is nice. I wonder what the 'Gateway Arch' will look like. I googled it and mostly got pictures of St. Louis. But there were a few pictures of some colleges (Purdue) with nice gateway entrances to their campus. They didn't look $650,000 nice though.

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The Health Sciences Building is nice. I wonder what the 'Gateway Arch' will look like. I googled it and mostly got pictures of St. Louis. But there were a few pictures of some colleges (Purdue) with nice gateway entrances to their campus. They didn't look $650,000 nice though.

I was wondering the same thing regarding  the gateway arch and just where would it be erected.  I believe UT has one on campus and didn't Vanderbilt use to have one at 21st and West End before they built the new dorms in that area?   I know that there are plans to enlarge the entrance to the TSU campus and to bring it forward and closer to the intersection of Ed Temple Blvd (28th Ave) and John Merritt Blvd.  The idea is to create a look that isn't overshadowed by the two gas stations that are located in the same area.  I doubt that a gateway arch would stretch the street.  Unless TSU has acquired land on the south side of John Merritt  near the campus entry.  Which if they have, I'd really be happy with.  I so want to see one or both of the Marathon Gas Stations gone.  They are such eyesores for that area.  It's possible the gateway arch could be located at 33rd and John Merritt Blvd which is where you would enter into the area of the both the administration building and the student center.  Currently there is a security station located there that to me distracts from the overall look of the area.  Incorporating a formal brick security booth (one that looks less like a parking lot attendant booth) into the design of a gateway arch might be a better solution.  Especially if they could also include it into the updated fencing for Hale Stadium along John Merritt which is much better than the old chain link fencing that used to be there.   

• Like 3

^Great points. TSU is just kind of uninviting from 28th Avenue, because of the gas stations (kind of hides the entrance) and the security checkpoints once you get in. Building an elaborate entrance arch should do wonders, as would purchasing the gas stations and getting rid of them.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Work is underway on the two-story, 33,000-square-foot George Shinn Events Center at David Lipsomb Univ. A new permit for $10.5 million was just granted to move the recently begun project at 3906 Belmont Blvd forward. It has been a surface lot on the south side of Ezell Center building for decades.

It will house the College of Entertainment & the Arts, and include a “grand” two-story lobby; collaborative classroom and studio space; a cinematic editing and viewing studio; offices; and a state-of-the-art event hall that will seat up to 1,000 people and will be used for receptions, class lectures, corporate events, dinners and creative performances. It will also have a large patio area that can be utilized for various events.

More here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21004204/site-work-underway-on-gulch-parking-lot

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.31.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.31.16 PM.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...