Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

On 8/22/2018 at 12:21 PM, henburg said:

The building does look great, though I do wish that it could've been built somewhere else. Everybody loves the Thai restaurant there, and those homes have a lot of potential as well. 

On 8/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, Bos2Nash said:

Those really are some nice residential structures that are being taken out by this. I would much rather see this put on the lot that is at the corner of Bernard Ave and 15th (granted the footprint would be much smaller.

Also, from the rendering, I feel like the streetscape would need to be much softer than this or at least communicate better communicate with the patio/plaza space for the eating options. The end that will be close to the residential homes needs to speak more towards a residential streetscape.

Yeah, I am super disappointed with the location.  I hope that design is tentative and something will be built instead that retains the more intimate feeling the street has now.  I have always admired those old brick houses.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:17 PM, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

That's entirely one of reasons I respect Vandy more than my own alma mater of UT. It's an academic institution that has some student athletics, not a minor league football team with an attached school.

For what type of university it is, UT is doing pretty well in academics.

I'm a current student in Chem E. Our department is respectable. We are #60 among public and private universities nationwide. Nuclear Engineering is #7 the last time I checked. For a large, in-state, public school in a traditionally poor state, that's pretty impressive. And they don't admit any idiots to the College of Engineering. Average ACT is a 31. They set the bar high for applicants.

The business program is also commendable. Haslam College of Business has the second best Supply Chain Mgmt. program in the world. Accounting and finance are strong departments here too.

Architecture is good, and the School of Music is well-funded and draws in musicians from around the country.

Best program in the nation for Forensic Anthropology. And a great medical school.

Of course you could respect Vanderbilt more. Vanderbilt is a top 15 university. Tennessee is like 80-something. But that doesn't mean UT isn't punching above its class in academics because of the dedication toward its <bad> football team.

As far as athletics go, UT is still strong across the board. Sure, they are trash at football, but it's the holistic approach that counts when you evaluate SEC universities. 

Edited by nativetenn
  • Like 4

One of the issues, IMO from someone that niether follows or really cares about UT sports is the fact that if a coach does not have a winning season the the fans and the alumni want whoever the coach is gone. That really messes up your recruiting efforts and makes it bad for the next 4 years.

The UT fans are probably the most impatient group of people on the planet.

I know I will get hate mail on this one.

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

One of the issues, IMO from someone that niether follows or really cares about UT sports is the fact that if a coach does not have a winning season the the fans and the alumni want whoever the coach is gone. That really messes up your recruiting efforts and makes it bad for the next 4 years.

The UT fans are probably the most impatient group of people on the planet.

I know I will get hate mail on this one.

Eh, they just got done with a combined 8 years with two terrible coaches so I think there’s institutional patience. There’s just not institutional competence. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 3:13 PM, nativetenn said:

I'm a current student in Chem E. Our department is respectable.

You should post some photos of all of the construction on campus sometime. I was at the ETSU game this past weekend and was amazed by all of the buildings going up. There has to be over $1billion in construction happening around the campus with the new dorms, Student Union, streetscaping, etc. It is becoming quite a nice campus.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

You should post some photos of all of the construction on campus sometime. I was at the ETSU game this past weekend and was amazed by all of the buildings going up. There has to be over $1billion in construction happening around the campus with the new dorms, Student Union, streetscaping, etc. It is becoming quite a nice campus.

Check the UT thread, I post here and there! I can post more soon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting PillowTalk. I am pretty ignorant about what has happened on the TSU campus. I have tried to put a few things on the map, but if you know of developments over the last 18 years with the locations it would be great. I try to get as much on the map as I can as this will be our development history and a record of it.

8 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

…………...

I'd love to see the TSU area develop.  And, while to concept for the land is to applauded.  I just wonder how TSU will be able to sell this concept to developers given that all of it is in a flood plain.  Without a levy or flood wall, there's no way to stop the area from flooding.  My preference would be to see this type of development along Jefferson Street leading into the TSU campus.  But, TSU doesn't own any of that land, and it would costly for TSu to acquire it.

This is an awesome proposal. I'm glad to see them thinking big.

As for the floodplain issue, in a September 5th article the Tennessean quoted Kelli Sharpe (name misspelled in the quote below), TSU Assistant VP for Public Relations and Communications....

Asked about how TSU plans to address concerns about proposed site being in the 100-year floodplain, Shape responded: "As with any development, the project developer will implement all necessary requirements and improvements for the Cumberland Project to be a success. This includes addressing all environmental issues and concerns."

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Belmont Univ. has landed 5 demo permits related to the structures facing Belmont Ave. for the new 1,700 seat Fine Arts Center. The homes/apts to be demo'd are at 2020 and 2018 Belmont Blvd.,  1519 and 1523 Bernard Ave., and 1518 Compton Ave. This does not include The International Market, which will not be vacated until July, 2019.   It will come down shortly thereafter.  A fall 2021 completion date has been set for the new event center.  R.C. Matthews will be the contractor and ESa is the architect.

More at the Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21027801/belmont-buildings-face-demo-for-event-center

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.07.59 PM.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Belmont Univ. has landed 5 demo permits related to the structures facing Belmont Ave. for the new 1,700 seat Fine Arts Center. The homes/apts to be demo'd are at 2020 and 2018 Belmont Blvd.,  1519 and 1523 Bernard Ave., and 1518 Compton Ave. This does not include The International Market, which will not be vacated until July, 2019.   It will come down shortly thereafter.  A fall 2021 completion date has been set for the new event center.  R.C. Matthews will be the contractor and ESa is the architect.

More at the Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21027801/belmont-buildings-face-demo-for-event-center

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.07.59 PM.png

It seems like they're knocking down a house here and another there.  Do they own all the buildings in that block (Belmont Blvd to 15th, Bernard to Compton)?