Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news!! I serve on the emerging professionals committee for AIA Mid-TN and we were just talking about the need for more Architecture programs in the state.

I wonder what the difference between a B.A. and a B.S. is. Curriculum? I know accreditation is a big piece of things, but a Arts degree typically implies a strong difference from a Science degree.

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here it the press release from Belmont on their new architectural degree and hopefully this will another building on their main campus in the future.

http://news.belmont.edu/belmont-to-offer-middle-tennessees-first-bachelor-of-architecture-degree/

Oh wow, this is saying that it is a Bachelor of Architecture!! That is even bigger news. The accreditation of a B.Arch means a graduate out of the program can pursue license without a Master of Architecture degree. Bachelor of Science or Arts graduates typically need to complete a Masters degree to pursue a license

They still need to work out details for NCARB accreditation, but that is hopefully just a logistical thing. Based on curriculum and student work NCARB awards 4 or 6 year accreditation to schools, based on how they perform. I am guessing Belmont will receive short periods for the first several years and hopefully as the student body produces work they will ultimately be able to get to the six year. The press release mentions they have 4 licensed architects on staff. They will obviously hire more, but that does not mean it will be seamless.

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little bummed that Belmont is just now adding all of these art, architecture and design programs. If they had begun the process sooner, I could've stayed home for school instead of choosing Knoxville. In all seriousness though, that's an awesome thing and is filling a huge hole for Middle Tennessee. I am betting that we will be hearing about replacements for the current Belmont art building (which is tiny and ill-equipped) and the Lila Bunch Library relatively soon- It's the one side of campus that hasn't seen much in regards to improvement and would be a great location for all of these expanding creative programs. 

• Like 2

Belmont University Performing Arts Center (1,700 seats) update.  Razing of all buildings complete (9 homes) except for two homes and International Market along Belmont Blvd.   Core drilling continues, as well as moving some earth.

Looking north from Compton Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Center, Jan 26, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking west from Bernard Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Center, Jan 26, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking SW from Bernard Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Center, Jan 26, 2019, 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably not the right place for this...but since it's Vandy related, I'll go ahead and post it.  David Williams, who just retired as Vandy's AD, died today at 71.  Really sad.  Seemed like a great guy.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/vanderbilt-athletics/blog/21046642/former-vanderbilt-athletics-director-david-williams-has-died

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, titanhog said:

Probably not the right place for this...but since it's Vandy related, I'll go ahead and post it.  David Williams, who just retired as Vandy's AD, died today at 71.  Really sad.  Seemed like a great guy.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/vanderbilt-athletics/blog/21046642/former-vanderbilt-athletics-director-david-williams-has-died

Very sad.   :(

^^^ My niece's suite is in the shadow of the Tall Hall in that old apartment complex Belmont bought back a few years ago on 12th Ave S.  Her apartment building is in a constant shadow of that tall tower.  Is Bruin Hills dorm the current name?  I still think they are looking for a major contributor to name it.  Here's a suggestion the Bezos Tower? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time Lapse link to the construction site for the new Health and Science Building at Tennessee State.  It updates every 15 minutes.

TSU Health & Sciences Building Construction Site

Just a little info for those unfamiliar with the TSU campus and the general area.  The camera for the time lapse video is probably mounted on a smoke stack that is part of the old power plant for the TSU campus.  It's located on the west side of the campus.  The view that you're seeing is towards the northeast.  The Cumberland River is  visible in the upper left segment of the video.  It's clear that the river is very high in that video.  The water that you see to the right of the land that borders the Cumberland is actually flooded lands owned by TSU.  That is the area that TSU would like to develop.  The flooding that you see is the very reason why I question if its feasible to develop the land because it will be costly to prevent flooding in that area.  The white horizontal structure that you see  to the left of the gas tanks is actually the MLK Bridge that leads in Bordeaux.  What is a bit deceiving with this video is the terrain.  You can tell that the new building is being built on an upward slope.  However, the land that appears behind the existing building in the top middle portion of the video actually drops off dramatically.  It's virtually a cliff behind it.  TSU's outdoor track and field facility actually sits below that building.  The buildings that you see in the distance just right of the center portion of the video are buildings in Metro Center.

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Belmont University Performing Arts Center (3 stories, 1,700 seats) update. Two crane bases in place.  Lots of blasting and excavation of the hillside.

First crane base.  Looking north rom intersection of Belmont Blvd. and Compton Ave:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Center, March 5, 2019, 1.jpg

2nd crane base at top of hill.  Looking east from Compton Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Center, March 5, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking north from Compton Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ Performing Arts Center, March 5, 2019, 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1